Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Stadium Expansion - at last !

38 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I don't know the latest figures but in 2014/15 it was around £10 million a season. Let's say its £15 million now, a 25% increase in capacity will earn around £3.75 million, that's not even Vardy's wages and that's before you service the debt or pay the extra expenses. From a financial POV its probably not a great idea but it proves how generous our owners are ( or having a bigger stadium boosts their ego)

As fans we have nothing to complain about.

abf730d2-b07a-4ebc-8290-de7034386aea.png

£16.5m, taking out UEFA competition money, it is around 7% of revenue.

• Like 1

as much as its good to hear that they are looking to expand the ground, the ground still wont be full for the so called "lesser" games, and we'll still get people moaning they cant get a ticket......:ph34r:

its good on the whole though for the club

18 hours ago, Babylon said:

I watched City v Grimsby on a Wednesday night with about 11,000 there in the league. I'm sure many have seen smaller crowds.

Baffling that some don't realise better facilities, more availability, and a high level of football can bring about growth. But people can't look past one or two years. These things are measured over decades. 

This.

Small minds.

But you know, a Scouser on foxestalk probably does know better than a pair of internationally successful billionaire businessmen ?

The expansion is a clear sign of intent by the owners to make the ground 'work' for the club. I anticipate a much greater focus on corporate seating and 'match day experience'.

This is no bad thing. Those of us who don't want the 'match day experience' don't have to enjoy/endure it and can still arrive on the whistle whilst families and fans wanting something more from their match day can get involved and generate greater revenues. 

As has already been said by @DavieG I would guess that we will see the creation of either a venue space behind the East stand or a fan village experience for match days. I wouldn't anticipate any great reduction in ticket prices but hopefully we'll see younger fans attending on a regular basis.

What I would like, from the quite likely to obviously daft, in no particular order:

10-15K more seats

A second tier added on all around the stadium, with hospitality all around the top and the design kept consistent.

Rail seating for the Kop. 

Improved concourse facilities, with more space and lighting.

Redesign on the East Stand facia, making it look as good as the West stand. 

Improved approach on Raw Dykes Road. Knock down the electricity place and Staples shops opposite. Pedestrianise that and Filbert Way. Extra food/drink/shop facilities everywhere.

Monorail to the train station & city centre.

Turn the Old Filbert Street site into a fan village, with a scaled down replica of the old stadium that people can watch holograms of classic matches at.

Statue of Wes & Claudio with the PL trophy.

Clear the banks of the River Soar and make it accessible to the public as a beauty spot with food & drink facilities.

Make it easier for us to intimidate the away team bus ala Liverpool.

Use the PA system to pump in extra atmosphere just to annoy Sunderland away fans.

• Like 4

Ticket sales don't add a lot to the finances but hospitality packages do, Arsenal have the highest match day revenue across all clubs worldwide. Unfortunately the expansion will likely cater to the prawn sandwich brigade but because that's where the money is.

I just hope if or when this happens they dedicate a certain part of the stadium to the fans that wish to create an atmosphere. 

As long as we are in the premiership then it is definitely warranted. The biggest worry is if we get relegated playing matches in a big stadium with so many empty seats. 

• Like 1

I don't think you can use current attendences to project future ones, having extra seats would bring a culture change where you can decide closer to the day to go along and could buy consecutive seats for friends and family. Tourists and visitors can buy tickets and perhaps the club could retain a priority membership scheme where the initial premium (membership fee) can be offset by a small discount in ticket price as incentive to book early but retain the ability to have priority choice of seats (after STH's). Making it easier to get a ticket increases interest and by regularly having the opportunity to decide nearer the time means people can make a more qualified decision on bringing in more people from their friends and family that currently can't wait for the chance of a general sale to be sat nowhere near the member friend who bought early.

Having said that it could go the other way. If we lose to Burnley and feel it's season over would everyone still buy a Southampton ticket had they not bought one five weeks ago? Then there's the problems of away fans buying up home tickets without restrictive membership schemes.

Would the amount of STH's increase perhaps in ratio to current level and would we have a commitment to offer more seats to away fans if required?

As for facilities I'd like to think that if for example the East stand is extended upwards and therefore deeper as well that in the middle levels as well as Restaurants and function rooms there could be space for a museum area like the New Walk exhibit containing the video screens, photo's, papers and Robert Huth.

I get the feeling that the owners like the fan park idea, a permanent version of what we've seen occasionally in the past. 

On 07/04/2018 at 14:48, urban.spaceman said:

What I would like, from the quite likely to obviously daft, in no particular order:

10-15K more seats

A second tier added on all around the stadium, with hospitality all around the top and the design kept consistent.

Rail seating for the Kop. 

Improved concourse facilities, with more space and lighting.

Redesign on the East Stand facia, making it look as good as the West stand. 

Improved approach on Raw Dykes Road. Knock down the electricity place and Staples shops opposite. Pedestrianise that and Filbert Way. Extra food/drink/shop facilities everywhere.

Monorail to the train station & city centre.

Turn the Old Filbert Street site into a fan village, with a scaled down replica of the old stadium that people can watch holograms of classic matches at.

Statue of Wes & Claudio with the PL trophy.

Clear the banks of the River Soar and make it accessible to the public as a beauty spot with food & drink facilities.

Make it easier for us to intimidate the away team bus ala Liverpool.

Use the PA system to pump in extra atmosphere just to annoy Sunderland away fans.

This is spot on for me.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:21, FrankieADZ said:

as much as its good to hear that they are looking to expand the ground, the ground still wont be full for the so called "lesser" games, and we'll still get people moaning they cant get a ticket......:ph34r:

its good on the whole though for the club

In principle, probably agree that we will struggle to sell out against lesser opposition. The main positive is that instead of offering 23,500 season tickets, we can then offer almost 30,000. And the demand for those is there. So worst case we would still have attendances of 36/37,000 every match.

Guest MattP

Was Saturday actually a sell out? A few people replied to me here saying it was.

There must have been 300 empty seats in the West Stand, are some people just not bothering to turn up anymore?

On 07/04/2018 at 12:31, FoxesDeb said:

It's probably already been said, but hopefully this will mean the end of the over priced membership scheme. Those of us who want season tickets should be able to get them, and those who only want to go as and when they can should be able to buy tickets without having to pay for the opportunity, and there will hopefully be plenty to go round. 

Sounds lovely but to pull that off consistently means having a little bit more supply than demand, or at very least running close. 

Which means empty seats and a drop in atmosphere, not an improvement. 

26 minutes ago, davieG said:

Empty seats doesn't automatically mean a drop in atmosphere I've been to plenty of games in the past where there's been empty seats and the atmosphere has been excellent.

Don't people always say it's those that are the most vocal that will always attend. Expanding the stadium provides an opportunity for new vocalists to attend on a regular basis, last years kids are next years late teens early 20s and are being denied the opportunity to become long term regular fans

Surely the most significant impact on atmosphere anyway is what is happening on the pitch and the status of the team with respect to possible achievements (and incompetent refs)

Middlesbrough at home when it had snowed was one of the best atmospheres for years, and there were barely 10,000 there.

• Like 3

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

These two points are completely unrelated, I'm sorry. 

Well no, they aren't really, are they? 

Are bums in seats alone enough to create an atmosphere? No and nor did anyone say they are. 

But do more and more empty seats contribute to a worse atmosphere? Yes, they do. 

There's really not an argument to the contrary to be fair. 

Will be very interesting to see what happens with this. Expansion and improvement to the stadium would be most welcome.

Definitely need to do something with transport links, or even just widening the approaches. 

Improvements to concourses would be good as well, something to encourage people to come early and stay after is a way of increasing match day revenues.

Shame we can't knock down the adjoining buildings and build a brand new Spurs style stadium and then we can all moan when our season tickets cost £1000!