Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You are right there are lots of spooky parallels! We spent big money on Matt Mills and Jermaine Beckford et all, but in the end it was the spine of Kasper, Wes / Was, Drinks / James and Nugent with a spice of Dyer and Knocky that got us up. It was a team with character rather than a series of names.

But we do have to get the attacking side right. Last season it was home form that let us down, and it's hard at this moment in time to see us rectifying it. If the Saints park the bus, how are we going to break them down? We drew 0-0 with them last season too.

As you say, it will take a few windows to be solved, if it can be solved at all.

Spooky Parallels...!!!  

We are the Ghost-busters....:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

The more you look at the season, the more and more baffling it becomes that Puel is so divisive.  We are on target for one of the best 10% of finishes in the 100 + year history of our club, and with one of the youngest squads we have ever had.  I still can't fathom the negativity for the life of me.  X

I'm Puel in and believe he is doing the overhaul we needed. But I also understand the concern some have regarding a lack of flair. I am inclined to put that down to the lack of quality options we have in CM and wing/attack. So hopefully as intimated by him, we can address those deficiencies in this transfer window and we will all be Puel in! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i spend all week thinking this tbf, then i watch us play and i can fully understand why it seems like everyone absolutely hates the bloke 

I can fully understand some people not liking the style.  What I cannot understand is the LEVEL of negativity.  It is beyond rational.  Every man and his dog states "football is a results game" when we lose but play well but then they cannae cope with winning ugly.  As I said, no issue with people wanting us to score more but some posters need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.  Why on Earth, on any measurable matrices possible, would anyone sack Puel?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I can fully understand some people not liking the style.  What I cannot understand is the LEVEL of negativity.  It is beyond rational.  Every man and his dog states "football is a results game" when we lose but play well but then they cannae cope with winning ugly.  As I said, no issue with people wanting us to score more but some posters need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.  Why on Earth, on any measurable matrices possible, would anyone sack Puel?

dunno, i personally couldn’t care if he got sacked or not. i could see a replacement doing better but just as easily doing worse. so it’s a pretty simple stick or twist as far as i’m concerned and as we seem to play a pretty rubbish 90 minutes most weeks but are still on course for europe, i wouldn’t change it yet. 

im not sure winning ugly is much of an issue. most people seemed very happy with what went on yesterday. it’s the home games that are the issue. they’re not particularly ugly they’re just outrageously boring and we basically never win. i’ve seen us draw 0-0 or lose 0-2 to relegation fodder for what seems like an eternity on repeat ever since puel came in and i can fully understand why a lot of people can’t be arsed with that anymore. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Danizen said:

FB_IMG_1546469852629.thumb.jpg.d510cb7f02fd303749ca0935ab2d99ec.jpg

Embarrassing stuff from Newcastle. If we did this when we played Man City I think I'd throw up. 

It looks like it's been knocked up by a child.

It wouldn't be THAT bad if it was just "There's only one United" - it's almost like they ordered a bigger banner than needed so had to add some shit on the end and that's all they could think of.

9 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

dunno, i personally couldn’t care if he got sacked or not. i could see a replacement doing better but just as easily doing worse. so it’s a pretty simple stick or twist as far as i’m concerned and as we seem to play a pretty rubbish 90 minutes most weeks but are still on course for europe, i wouldn’t change it yet. 

im not sure winning ugly is much of an issue. most people seemed very happy with what went on yesterday. it’s the home games that are the issue. they’re not particularly ugly they’re just outrageously boring and we basically never win. i’ve seen us draw 0-0 or lose 0-2 to relegation fodder for what seems like an eternity on repeat ever since puel came in and i can fully understand why a lot of people can’t be arsed with that anymore. 

I understand that.  But is "boring football" reason enough for the LEVEL of negativity Puel is currently receiving?  To me, and I don't say this lightly, I feel some posters (a minority but a very vocal one) have a serious agenda against Puel and have wanted him to fail from the start.  I believe reasons for this include but are not limited to - He doesn't shout enough.  He is French.  His English is not great.  He is not Nigel Pearson.  He plays a style of football they do not like and will not even contemplate giving a chance to.

If we continue to play boring football season after season with no signs or progress and finish year after year in 10th place I would not be against a change.  But Puel has not signed any striker yet nor been given a chance at signing a CM.  He has turned us into one of the best defensive teams in the league and most pundits will always tell you to build from the back.  Given time (We have one of the youngest squads in the league) I have faith the style will improve.  My fear is sacking him halfway through his rebuild  and starting all over again with someone else.  If he fails, he fails and he should be replaced but he should at least be given time to fail.  At present, for where were are in the transition, we are doing very well.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Part of me really wishes we'd have signed Deeney when we were heavily interested after winning the title. I think he'd have been a real quality alternative to Vardy and could've even worked well with him too.

Yeah me too.  I like him a lot as a player and he always talks sense.  

• Like 2

Tbf he hasn't really been that great this season .

Not as strong in the air and naturally lost his pace .

Seems to perform better away from home because the opposition fans wind him up!

But when on it still a threat and most likely to score out of our strikers !

Edited by Super_horns

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Tbf he hasn't really been that great this season .

Not as strong in the air and naturally lost his pace .

Seems to perform better away from home because the opposition fans wind him up!

As an "outsider", what do you make of the way Puel is discussed on these pages?  X

21 minutes ago, Danizen said:

FB_IMG_1546469852629.thumb.jpg.d510cb7f02fd303749ca0935ab2d99ec.jpg

Embarrassing stuff from Newcastle. If we did this when we played Man City I think I'd throw up. 

I can't help but have a soft spot for Newcastle fans after what they've been served up on and off the pitch for a generation.

The relationship between NUFC fans and Mike Ashley couldn't be any more opposite of 'United'. So whoever made this banner wins a big bag of irony points from me

6 minutes ago, Anglodanglo said:

I can't help but have a soft spot for Newcastle fans after what they've been served up on and off the pitch for a generation.

The relationship between NUFC fans and Mike Ashley couldn't be any more opposite of 'United'. So whoever made this banner wins a big bag of irony points from me

They've done brilliantly as a club for the funding they're given as a team. It's a stark contrast to how we're treated by our owners. It's scary to think what they could become with the correct backing 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I completely agree we lack attacking intent and I completely understand some fans wanting more excitement but the level of negativity is in no way commensurate to what is happening this season. The "Puel Out" lot tend to think the "Puel In" people are some kind of fingers in their ears, blindly optimistic simpletons who cry when people slag Puel off but all any of "us": have ever said is "I think you are being too harsh and your criticism is too much" and I still believe that to be the case.  We are a work in progress but if we can be in 7th position at our current level of progress I am happy with that.  

I don’t even think that Puel in is a thing. It’s just a group of people who don’t want to change the manager every time we have a tough patch, or even a bad game, and who think the bloke in charge at the moment is worth sticking with for a while to see how he gets on, especially as he is trying to develop a young team. A young team which includes our own academy players and who realise that will require time and a little patience from us all. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They've done brilliantly as a club for the funding they're given as a team. It's a stark contrast to how we're treated by our owners. It's scary to think what they could become with the correct backing 

Absolutely. Newcastle are probably the biggest sleeping giant in the country. Shocking little success for a club that size.

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's scary to think what they could become with the correct backing

Is it? They'd be in a similar boat to West Ham and nobody thinks West Ham are a scary proposition. Club size doesn't matter that much when clubs have £100m+ rolling in every year 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MattP said:

It looks like it's been knocked up by a child.

It wouldn't be THAT bad if it was just "There's only one United" - it's almost like they ordered a bigger banner than needed so had to add some shit on the end and that's all they could think of.

I think they need to end the banner with a "*". With the adjacent standing holding the banner "* no we do not have a chip on our shoulder".

16 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Absolutely. Newcastle are probably the biggest sleeping giant in the country. Shocking little success for a club that size.

Would take an overhaul of playing staff and maybe training facilities but, any success up there would turn the place into a fortress.

• Like 1