Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

If you type 'Mahrez' into Twitter search at the moment, the abuse at him is brutal. It's like reading what is said on here about Gray - greedy, frustrating, bad decision making, etc. Thing is with Mahrez we know he's more than capable of pulling off the shots he's trying, but he just seems to have dipped in confidence 

Although amusingly just got man of the match... thing there's going to be a meltdown on that one!

Edited by rachhere

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Higuain signs for Chelsea on loan. That's some extra oomph up front.

Think of Giroud, just faster and better at shooting.

I think Giroud would be decent alongside Vardy.

Clever player with great lay offs but not the best finisher.

Not saying we could afford him permanent but a loan till May might benefit both sides as he won't get much time at the bridge now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Not saying we could afford him permanent but a loan till May might benefit both sides as he won't get much time at the bridge now.

Agreed. Listening to the On The Continent podcast today and they described Kevin-Prince Boateng as playing like 'a wall' who midfielders can bounce the ball off and make dangerous runs into the box to receive the return pass. I imagine Giroud would be the same for us.

25 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

surely he will be getting a similar amount of game time as he assumed he would get, and was presumably happy with, when he moved there to be second choice behind morata?

theyre still in 4 competitions with a serious chance of winning 3 of them, i can’t see him going anywhere. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rachhere said:

That is quite incredible to be at odds with the players already after just 6 months, especially when he started so well. The turning point was the Everton game where Sigurdsson man-marked Jorginho. Ever since then, everyone has adjusted their tactics (including us), and it's quite easy to deal with Chelsea. They have a lot of possesion but don't do much with the ball, a bit like us but with better players.

It will be interesting to see what happens as with Sarri they will have to be patient to adapt to the style of football he wants (sounds familiar...) and that's if it works at all. Though compared to Puel's style at least "Sarri-ball" we know is super exciting to watch in action from last season's Napoli. They have got him Higuain so it seems like they are backing him for now, but if they don't make the Champions League next season I wonder what will happen. If they don't finish top 4 in the league, they could easily win the Europa League so they probably will make it, but he's playing a dangerous game for sure.

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That is quite incredible to be at odds with the players already after just 6 months, especially when he started so well. The turning point was the Everton game where Sigurdsson man-marked Jorginho. Ever since then, everyone has adjusted their tactics (including us), and it's quite easy to deal with Chelsea. They have a lot of possesion but don't do much with the ball, a bit like us but with better players.

It will be interesting to see what happens as with Sarri they will have to be patient to adapt to the style of football he wants (sounds familiar...) and that's if it works at all. Though compared to Puel's style at least "Sarri-ball" we know is super exciting to watch in action from last season's Napoli. They have got him Higuain so it seems like they are backing him for now, but if they don't make the Champions League next season I wonder what will happen. If they don't finish top 4 in the league, they could easily win the Europa League so they probably will make it, but he's playing a dangerous game for sure.

Are they even that good without Hazard though... that's the question. Where are the goals going to come from... Will have to be Kante at this rate seeing where he's played him! I guess we wait and see how this new striker works out for them, and in the meantime Chelsea fans have white knuckles seeing if Hazard leaves or not. 

4 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Are they even that good without Hazard though... that's the question. Where are the goals going to come from... Will have to be Kante at this rate seeing where he's played him! I guess we wait and see how this new striker works out for them, and in the meantime Chelsea fans have white knuckles seeing if Hazard leaves or not. 

Well that's exactly it. Hazard is their only world class attacking player. Willian and Pedro are good but the wrong side of 30. Moratta and Giroud have never hit 20 goals in a Premier League season and I doubt will ever do, hence signing Higuain and Pullisic in the summer. They will need more than that though to truly make it work as Napoli had Mertens, Hamsik, Allan, etc.

Kante is the really strange thing, but their system is basically a Pirlo type deep playmaker (a "6") and then two number 8's who are box to box midfielders, and in theory Kante should be able to play that position very well. But they are a team that has historically been solid and hard to beat, and not a front foot / break teams down with attacking quality team. In some ways they are a bit like an expensive version of us, but with a lot more backing to sign world class players.

Just waiting for the media and pundits to change their tune now . The other month they were saying Tottenham did the right thing buying no players in the sunmer as it’s clear they don’t need any . That will now change to them all saying well it’s their own fault they should have strengthened in the summer