Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

I have to admit wolves have done great this season. What annoys me is the media love in with them and their deluded fans. I was speaking to a wolves fan at the weekend who I always thought was not in the deluded catergory, however he was convinced that next season wolves would finish in the top 6. When I questioned him on the possibility of losing players to bigger clubs he brushed it aside and insisted wolves have too much money and don’t have to sell. In the end I gave up and hope they struggle next season. 

38 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I have to admit wolves have done great this season. What annoys me is the media love in with them and their deluded fans. I was speaking to a wolves fan at the weekend who I always thought was not in the deluded catergory, however he was convinced that next season wolves would finish in the top 6. When I questioned him on the possibility of losing players to bigger clubs he brushed it aside and insisted wolves have too much money and don’t have to sell. In the end I gave up and hope they struggle next season. 

To be fair.... Especially after we won the premiership, didn't we have a lot of fans who had the same view? 'we have lots of money, no need to sell', 'we'll be in the top 4 next season' blah blah 

I don't get why so many hate United.

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Other than De Gea, how many of this United eleven would you swap in to our last starting line up? 

I might be called ridiculous but I don't think I'd even swap Pogba in for Tielmans on current form. Think he's too lazy for our midfield frankly and I genuinely think Tielmans links up better with Maddison, Barnes and Co really well. 

Would take Vardy over Lukaku any day, Ricardo over Young, Chilwell over Shaw, Maddison over Lingard. Ndidi over McTominay. 

Only area I'm not sure is the centre halves. 

You are smoking crack over Tielemans to Pogba. Pogba is many times better than Tielemans. The only thing is Pogba is like Ozil. He isn't a player that works in a grafting team, he needs to be a team where they are dominating. Also you can't compare starting 11's for systems. Some players that work in Barcelona that are deemed world class would be awful at Leicester.

5 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

You are smoking crack over Tielemans to Pogba. Pogba is many times better than Tielemans. The only thing is Pogba is like Ozil. He isn't a player that works in a grafting team, he needs to be a team where they are dominating. Also you can't compare starting 11's for systems. Some players that work in Barcelona that are deemed world class would be awful at Leicester.

That's why he said he links up with our other players well. 

Pogba is a better player generally over Tielemans but I feel sometimes Pogba would be a passenger too many times (he's even a passenger in a Utd side, what does that say about him?!). 

I think Pogba is overrated anyway and he's very much your YouTube-esque kind of player instead of having any real consistency. He had a period of time where he was playing out of his skin (coincidentally when Jose left and Ole came in) but look at the game yesterday - did he do anything when his team needed him? Did he take the game to Wolves? Did he make any kind of impression on the game? 

24 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

United yesterday didn't have a system, they didn't have anything. It was probably the worst starting eleven I've ever seen them put out. 

Even Puel was never that negative. It had three defensive midfielders, two right backs, then Lingard floating about in a free role and Lukaku up top. 

And Tielemans has looked noticeably better than Pogba since he's been here. He works harder defensively, his passing and decision making are exceptional, his vision is world class. 

Pogba is paradoxically one of the most over rated and under rated players in Europe. His critics are far too harsh and his fans (and agent) are delusional.

He's got amazing technique. Technical aspects of the game that require good control of the ball he's fabulous at, in particular his long range shooting and passing are frankly majestic and his touch and dribbling for a big guy are nuts. Coupled with his obvious physical power and he can be formidable. 

But his brain is a piece of shit. His vision and awareness in and around himself isn't a patch on Tielemans, neither is his ability to make the right decision at the right time. Tielemans has the same range of passing but makes better use of it. 

He also works a lot harder in attack and defence to get involved in the game. I'd have him in my team ahead of Pogba on current form. 

Every now and again Pogba gets an injection of effort and absolute dominates a match in a way Tielemans probably never will. He'll smash in a few worldies, shrug off the opposition midfielders and completely own the middle of the park. But he'll do it for two or three games then vanish for ten or twelve. That's not just a blip under Mourinho, either, he's been doing it his whole career. 

People mocked United for letting him go but Ferguson knew a bad egg when he saw one, he was very rarely wrong when he judged a character. The real embarrassment was that they paid what they did to bring him back. 

He's a decent top 6 player with a world class publicist and agent and a really marketable image. There's plenty better centre mids just at Tottenham let alone the whole Prem where as Tielemans is, frankly, too good for us and will be up there with them if he keeps his current form consistent. 

Edit. My autocorrect really doesn't like the extra e in Tielemans. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

We're 3 points behind Wolves with the same games to play and people are making out like there is zero chance of catching them?

Wolves lost to Burnley last week, the side we beat with 10 men and they still have FA cup commitments. 

Anything can happen. We're on the up!

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

12 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

In no specific order

1. Fred

2. Richarlason

3. Pogba

4. Ali

5. Kane (when he is not playing for England)

6. Zaha 

7. Kermorgant 

Cant think of last 4 but they are the ones i dislike the most

Fixed it for you!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

We could finish 7th or we could finish 12th, there's nothing in it. Qualifying for Europe in 7th will screw us up though.

Surely any club with any kind of ambition should want European football. For me it's the most realistic way of us ever getting back to the champions league, you can get to the final playing very beatable teams.

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

United yesterday didn't have a system, they didn't have anything. It was probably the worst starting eleven I've ever seen them put out.  

Even Puel was never that negative. It had three defensive midfielders, two right backs, then Lingard floating about in a free role and Lukaku up top

And Tielemans has looked noticeably better than Pogba since he's been here. He works harder defensively, his passing and decision making are exceptional, his vision is world class. 

Pogba is paradoxically one of the most over rated and under rated players in Europe. His critics are far too harsh and his fans (and agent) are delusional.

He's got amazing technique. Technical aspects of the game that require good control of the ball he's fabulous at, in particular his long range shooting and passing are frankly majestic and his touch and dribbling for a big guy are nuts. Coupled with his obvious physical power and he can be formidable. 

But his brain is a piece of shit. His vision and awareness in and around himself isn't a patch on Tielemans, neither is his ability to make the right decision at the right time. Tielemans has the same range of passing but makes better use of it. 

He also works a lot harder in attack and defence to get involved in the game. I'd have him in my team ahead of Pogba on current form. 

Every now and again Pogba gets an injection of effort and absolute dominates a match in a way Tielemans probably never will. He'll smash in a few worldies, shrug off the opposition midfielders and completely own the middle of the park. But he'll do it for two or three games then vanish for ten or twelve. That's not just a blip under Mourinho, either, he's been doing it his whole career. 

People mocked United for letting him go but Ferguson knew a bad egg when he saw one, he was very rarely wrong when he judged a character. The real embarrassment was that they paid what they did to bring him back. 

He's a decent top 6 player with a world class publicist and agent and a really marketable image. There's plenty better centre mids just at Tottenham let alone the whole Prem where as Tielemans is, frankly, too good for us and will be up there with them if he keeps his current form consistent. 

Edit. My autocorrect really doesn't like the extra e in Tielemans. 

This is BS. He hasn't been doing that his whole career. Like I said he is a similar player to Ozil. He is good when there is quality around him and isn't great without it. Also none of spurs midfielders are better than Pogba and that includes Eriksen. Even in the Prem I would say that arguably only City's midfielders are better. It's funny how much crap people give him because of his pricetag and also fail to look at the garbage he has to work with every matchday at United. Fred is awful, McTominay is a kid but you can tell he's gonna be average. Matic is past it, Herrera is decent and the defense apart from Lindelof is trash. The squad needs a complete overhaul.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

We could finish 7th or we could finish 12th, there's nothing in it. Qualifying for Europe in 7th will screw us up though.

That's a bit of a defeatist attitude. Burnley were hilariously under prepared doesn't mean we will be. 

If the planning starts as soon as it's confirmed and we give a proper rest to the World Cup players who haven't had a proper rest in 2 years. I think we'll be fine.

Rodgers is making real progress with our fitness. 

7 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

This is BS. He hasn't been doing that his whole career. Like I said he is a similar player to Ozil. He is good when there is quality around him and isn't great without it. Also none of spurs midfielders are better than Pogba and that includes Eriksen. Even in the Prem I would say that arguably only City's midfielders are better. It's funny how much crap people give him because of his pricetag and also fail to look at the garbage he has to work with every matchday at United. Fred is awful, McTominay is a kid but you can tell he's gonna be average. Matic is past it, Herrera is decent and the defense apart from Lindelof is trash. The squad needs a complete overhaul.

If you don't think Eriksen is a better player than Pogba then we're done. I'm sorry but that's just bonkers. 

Turn FIFA off and watch some actual sport mate. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

In no specific order

1. Fred

2. Richarlason

3. Pogba

4. Ali

5. Kane (when he is not playing for England)

6. Zaha 

Cant think of last 4 but they are the ones i dislike the most

I can deal with Harry Kane. Sanchez for me needs to go on that list, along with Ozil. I think I am over my dislike for Linguard after the world cup, but once we play them again I am sure it could quickly return. 

• Like 1

Whilst I hope we finish as high as possible, I would say that over the course of the season Wolves and Watford have been more consistent than us and that currently the league table is accurate as a result.

From our point of view had we started with Rodgers and Tielemans then I think we'd be 7th instead. But all in all I am not that disappointed even if we finish 12th, I think this was always a transition season and now players like Ricardo, Evans, Barnes and Maddison are first team players replacing some older players in the squad. That's the one thing that Puel did well and I think we will continue to see the benefits of it next season with BR in charge. And thankfully not that BR is in charge we play good football again and I can see an upward trend.

I think our prospects next season will be determined by the signing or non-signing of Tielemans. If we don't get him we need someone like him as he's made a huge difference. But the good thing is that it's made it very clear so we can solve it. For some teams it's harder to say what the missing piece is. Even Man United I would say are in that position.