Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

36 minutes ago, Corky said:

The relegation battle will be decided when Burnley play Cardiff on the 13th and Brighton play Cardiff on the 16th. If Cardiff lose both they are gone, win both and Burnley and Brighton's run-ins are very difficult (although Cardiff still have to play Liverpool and Man United).

Five points is a decent gap at the moment though.

TBH it will make it an exciting few games, the games at the bottom are just as interesting (for me) as the ones at the top. Realistically with the games Cardiff have it is looking inevitable but like always will also depend on others in similar positions. 

Its nice to not be in that position that we worry about others to depend on which league we play next season. 

Yes; their new stadium is impressive, but feel the BBC have gone slightly over-board about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47512149

The BBC Football website, I fear, will be about Tottenham and their new stadium more than any other top-flight club from now on - alongside the club that quite a few already know that they have a love-in for, Manchester United..

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Yes; their new stadium is impressive, but feel the BBC have gone slightly over-board about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47512149

The BBC Football website, I fear, will be about Tottenham and their new stadium more than any other top-flight club from now on - alongside the club that quite a few already know that they have a love-in for, Manchester United..

You fear the BBC are going to report on a brand new stadium that cost about a billion in the end and Manchester United, the biggest football club in the country and one of the largest in the world?

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On reflection, whilst the Spurs stadium is impressive, it feels like the Emirates all over again. In other words, class stadium for a gig or something but a sanitised arena to watch football.

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yeah less Spuds and more Wolves chat!

Raul Jimenez set to sign for us permanently today in a £32m deal. 

Great bit of business. Been one of my favourite strikers to watch this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Yeah less Spuds and more Wolves chat!

Raul Jimenez set to sign for us permanently today in a £32m deal. 

Take it you guys are happy with the fee? Seems ok to me, not cheap though lol 

Makes £40m for Youri even more of a no-brainier if it can be done.

13 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Probably cos Mendes and Fosun make a shedload off their other company in the process. Higher the transfer fee, higher the agent fee

People really are spaffing over Wolves lol. It's their first season in the prem for a while and yes they have had a brilliant season, played some great football but lets just calm down a little.

No pressure on them this season, there were no real expectations as is always the case for a newly promoted team. Next season will be the tough test when people start putting expectations on them which brings on pressure. If they do make Europa league then next season will be even more difficult. They have a small squad (in the sense they play the same 11, at least I believe that's the case, The Bear will know for sure) and teams will suss them out. So big spending coming in the summer I think.

It would be brilliant for the league if they can maintain their position or even push on further. Another team to come into the mix to try and break into the top 6. If the likes of Wolves, Leicester and Everton can close the gap to the top 6 it will benefit the league as a whole.

39 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Makes £40m for Youri even more of a no-brainier if it can be done.

Yes, he's been very influential for us this season and has a great partnership with Jota. Bargain really in today's market. 

51 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Signing of the season Jimenez, very rare to see a striker take to the PL at non top six team. Workrate in bucketloads. 

Difficulty for Wolves will be when teams play deeper on them next season 

Will they, though? The top teams play their own game and won't treat wolves much differently at all. The bottom teams are far less adaptable and tend to play deep every game anyway, and setting up specific formations/styles to combat the opposition is beyond their reach in a lot of games. Wolves will be fine, only thing that might make them struggle is a European campaign with a small squad.

It was different when we won the league because we played a very unique style that was massively over-analysed so everyone knew exactly what our strong/weak points were, and then we lost Kanté who made it all tick. It was much easier for teams to nullify us in the following season than it will be against Wolves (and hopefully ourselves) next year.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a close-fought affair for 6th between us, Wolves and one of the top 6 who drops off a bit next season - my money's on Chelsea.

• Like 1

Interesting article in the Times today implying Manchester United's transfer targets over the summer. 

They want a right back, at least one centre back, a forward and 1 or two midfielders (depending on out of contract Herrera's choice)

Linked with following names Rice, Hudson-Odoi, Sancho, Wan-Bissaka, Saul Niguez, Varane and Joao Felix. 

It is incredible that 6 years after Fergie's retirement, Man United are still in need of a massive rebuild. It seems to need to happen every single summer!

Granted the team Fergie left behind was undoubtedly the poorest to ever win a top division title but its been 6 years!! Their recruitment on a whole has been appalling.

11 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

It is incredible that 6 years after Fergie's retirement, Man United are still in need of a massive rebuild. It seems to need to happen every single summer!

Granted the team Fergie left behind was undoubtedly the poorest to ever win a top division title but its been 6 years!! Their recruitment on a whole has been appalling.

Chelsea and Liverpool have both finished midtable, rebuilt and challenged at the top again within that time- they really have bought poorly, especially at the back (their back 4 is worse than ours FFS)

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Also opening night of Spurs new 62,000 seater stadium and they are approx. 3,000 short. If they cant fill the stadium on opening night they never will.

Always build bigger than you need as it gives room to grow. If we built a new ground and filled it instantly, you'd just kick yourself and wish you'd gone bigger.

• Like 1

Maybe a dangerous opinion to have around here, but does anyone else kinda like Spurs?

The 15-16 rivalry was real, the bottling banter is funny, but I don't get the genuine dislike from some Leicester fans.

I think they have a likable squad apart from Alli, who's the kind of player you love if he's yours and hate if he isn't. In my experience fans are pretty good-natured too, don't take themselves too seriously, accept supporting the club's a roller-coaster. More importantly, every Spurs fan I've spoken to about it accepts we deserved to win 15-16, and is happy we managed to break the football consensus. 

I respect the way Poch has built a team the right way, bottom up, and the way he focuses on improving what he has, not spending big money on risky signings. I respect the way they've slowly built from from being content with the odd Europa League challenge to consolidating regular CL football. Surely this is what we should be emulating, and indeed more or less our club's exact long-term plan?

Am I the only one?

• Like 1