Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What period of time is that from?

Be last season when in the Championship as financial accounts are only in for then. 

To which Wolves loaned most of their signings - only Neves was for a fee over £2.7m (£16.11m). The rest were signed for £2.7m, £1.8m and £1m. 

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I thought Mendes was taking all our money? 

tapatalk_1554377825377.png.1f04853adcb85f34a48520488631a5ee.png

He's not listed as the intermediary for any of your signings so those payments have absolutely nothing to do with Mendes

• Like 2

On 17/03/2019 at 15:52, KingsX said:

BREAKING NEWS

Wolves have broken their transfer record to sign Raul Jimenez for a reported £32m, with the deal set to go through on July 1.

The striker has penned a four-year deal at Molineux having been on loan at the club from Benfica this season.

He is Wolves' top scorer with 15 goals, which has helped fire the club to seventh in the Premier League and Sunday's FA Cup semi-final against Watford.

The signing of the 27-year-old takes Wolves' spending to around £164m under owners Fosun and they have broken their transfer record five times.

16 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm guessing the period of time that supports his arguement. Just a guess though

It's this season :)

And Mendes' agency is absolutely who we use for several transfers. 

Edited by The Bear

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

And Mendes' agency is absolutely an agent who we pay money to for transfers. 

Given his capacity as an "advisor" and the fact your owners have a stake in his company, I would suggest that payments made to him are probably not included in that list of transactions. 

Also, only one transfer (Moutinho) is listed as involving someone working for Mendes' agency.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Raul Jimenez set to sign for us permanently today in a £32m deal. 

I can see him flopping, he’s never been prolific anywhere else and Slimani even scored more in the Portuguese league in just one season than three seasons at Benfica for Jiminez.

Just now, The Bear said:

The club wouldn't risk dodgy back handers when we can just pay his agency legitimately for any deals done. Our owners aren't that daft. They paid a shed load to invest in his agency, again all very publicly. 

Fine, but again, any payments made to him and his company will largely not be taken into account in those figures because all but one of the transfers don't list him or an employee of his company as being involved. I'm not saying he's being given piles of money in dodgy deals but the figures you posted are in no way representative of anything to do with Mendes or his agency

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Surprised we're spending more than Arsenal and Spurs on those agents fees. Not surprised we're less than West Ham. 

Yeah I don’t really get it if it’s this season. Because Liverpool spent £163m on players...and £48m of that was on agents ? lol

My issue with the Fosun/agent link is their ability to use Mendes influence to get players. Clubs have already aligned themselves to certain agents. Man U and Juventus use Raiola most of the time. My worry is Wolves begin to sell players and the 'agent' takes a cut rather than the club, this hurts Wolves. I'd just question what Wolves fans think Fosun's end game is here. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, lestajigs said:

Was the whole stand behind the goal at spurs last night standing?? Fair play if they were!

That end has the rails behind the seat, so not exactly safe standing but as close as you'll get in England (in the top flight).

D3QDqQfXoAAOH1x.jpg

1 hour ago, SirFox said:

Maybe a dangerous opinion to have around here, but does anyone else kinda like Spurs?

The 15-16 rivalry was real, the bottling banter is funny, but I don't get the genuine dislike from some Leicester fans.

I think they have a likable squad apart from Alli, who's the kind of player you love if he's yours and hate if he isn't. In my experience fans are pretty good-natured too, don't take themselves too seriously, accept supporting the club's a roller-coaster. More importantly, every Spurs fan I've spoken to about it accepts we deserved to win 15-16, and is happy we managed to break the football consensus. 

I respect the way Poch has built a team the right way, bottom up, and the way he focuses on improving what he has, not spending big money on risky signings. I respect the way they've slowly built from from being content with the odd Europa League challenge to consolidating regular CL football. Surely this is what we should be emulating, and indeed more or less our club's exact long-term plan?

Am I the only one?

I think you may be!

For me, the loathing of them started in the 70's when I had four front teeth knocked out when we played them at White Hart Lane. I found it one of the most frightening experiences at any football match I've attended. And I've been to dozens of football grounds away supporting Leicester and never seen hate like I've witnessed by their fans, not just to us, but to all clubs.

It was compounded by being ripped off (over £10,000) by a con artist who I found out later was a huge spurs fan. The only time I've ever been ripped off.

I've met a fair few of their fans when I lived in London and for some strange reason they always think they are superior.

Talk to our fans who attended the 1999 league cup final, and the throwing of bottles by their fans at women & children. Add that to the punching in the face of our women around Wembley stadium.

Of course I realize many clubs have moron fans and sometimes things get heated, but I found it another level with that vile club.

I loathe the way the media constantly fawn all over them when they have won very little for such a 'big' club, and hardly anything in the modern era.

For me, us winning the P/L with them falling away to finish third was utterly delightful and really added icing to the cake.

Fingers crossed they finish outside the top four and Ponch & their better players leave and the millstone of that billion pound stadium could drag round their neck for years.

I sincerely hope they never win anything again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Which goes to show that his company isn't siphoning money from us via agents fees, which everyone just assumed was the case. 

Or you just overpay the players and he takes a nice juicy cut their end. Or he has other companies that bill your owners other companies for "consultancy services" and it doesn't show on the club or the agency books. There are a million ways do make the money move from your hands to his. In fact, you'd want to make it at least look reasonable to avoid suspicion, so it's not really proof of guilt or innocence. Man City has been passing FFP despite clearly not actually passing it properly. 

Perhaps he's just a lifelong Wolves fan and not in it for the money at all. lol

Wolves seriously amuse me. Looked a decent side this year and have some good players but jesus wept amount of hype they get is ridiculous.

Having their best season for years and years and years, Nuno Santos is the best manager in the world, Neves is a maestro etc....

....whereas we've had a really poor season under Puel in which many players have underperformed, Vichai's accident etc..

....and they're only 3 points above us in the league, knocked them out the cup, and only lost at their place due to a complete and utter capitulation lol

6 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Wolves seriously amuse me. Looked a decent side this year and have some good players but jesus wept amount of hype they get is ridiculous.

Having their best season for years and years and years, Nuno Santos is the best manager in the world, Neves is a maestro etc....

....whereas we've had a really poor season under Puel in which many players have underperformed, Vichai's accident etc..

....and they're only 3 points above us in the league, knocked them out the cup, and only lost at their place due to a complete and utter capitulation lol

Yeah but we're recent Champions of England and they're a newly promoted team. They have different expectations. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Having their best season for years and years and years

This can still be true whether there's loads of hype or not. 

For their fans, they must be loving it and they do play good football. They're a very well-drilled, well-organised side and have some very good players. Yeah they may be talked about a lot because of the Portuguese influence, the Jorge Mendes connection and the amount of money spent, but that's what football is these days. It's not like they're being hyped to the point where they are being labelled the greatest PL team but end up being like a Sunderland. There's some justification for the Wolves love-in. I'd rather have them in the league than the likes of Huddersfield who are boring as fvck.

Also, you can't really use 'knocked them out of the (League) cup' when they have reached an FA Cup Semi-Final and earnt a trip to Wembley which is something we've craved for ages. Yeah we knocked them out the League Cup but I'd bet we would love to be in their position (in the respective cups) so hardly a stick to beat them with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is it actually that surprising? The bottom two are amongst the worst ever teams in this division whilst the third were expected to have as many points as the bottom two have managed.

Everyone between 7th and 17th has beaten a top six team this season haven't they?