Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jersey

24hr in Leicester

4 hours ago, Jersey said:

Thanks for the advice. I haven’t been to Leicester since my last match at Filbert Street almost 20 years ago. Safe to assume not much has changed? Still singing ‘Muzzy for England’?

A lot has changed! The High Street and Cathedral are are mind twisting different. 

50 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

This is the most overrated place in Leicester for a curry tbh 

No way. In terms of value and flavour it's up there as one of the better places. Everyone will have their personal favourite, but i've been a few times and I wasn't disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jersey said:

Hello,

This might be misplaced, but I'm looking for your collective advice.

My family and I are planning to attend the match on Thursday. We have about 24 hours in town. Can anyone recommend the best curry and pint near the stadium? 

We booked our football holiday around the LCFC match an are excited to bring our kids (12-14) to the KP. 

Any help appreciated.

Rich

I can recommend the Western pub for beers before the game. Cask ales and friendly environment. LE3 0GA. 10 mins from the ground. Plenty of curry houses round the corner on Narborough rd. 

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

A lot has changed, the Highcross is there now which is quite striking but just a normal British shopping centre. The area around Guildhall/St Nicholas' circle has completely changes as Jubilee square was created. It's a lot more pleasant around there since the creation of the Richard III visitor centre which I'd highly recommend during the day. The Lanes and St. Martin's square are great with lots of nice independent cafes and eateries - Gelato village is worth going to and St. Martins coffee shop is fantastic. De Montfort university has redeveloped massively too and is a much nicer area compared to what it was like before.

The monstrous council building was knocked down, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the city in all honesty.

One of Leicester's biggest issues is that the residents put it down too often despite it being a city massively on the up, if we were as selfaggrandising as a other cities it'd be seen as exactly what it is, a vibrant, enjoyable city that keeps improving.

Guilty as charged. I don't go often to be honest and probably ought to more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

couldn’t be further from the truth these days. every time i visit there’s cooler stuff popping up. it’s probably got to the stage where you have to seek out the shit parts now rather than the other way round. 

No mate you don’t get it. It’s a shit tip. We live in a shit tip. Downtown Baghdad is paradise compared to Leicester city.

p.s paddy’s marten inn. LEGITTTTT

12 hours ago, somebum said:

Just to warn you the city is a complete shit tip

tbf, leicester has never been awarded a City of Culture title.   ...so it can't be that bad.

20 hours ago, Jersey said:

Thanks for the advice. I haven’t been to Leicester since my last match at Filbert Street almost 20 years ago. Safe to assume not much has changed? Still singing ‘Muzzy for England’?

We're not behind the times. Gutted Linekers not in the England squad though.

Might I suggest the Indian Queen on Belgrave Road. It’s not close to the stadium but you if your up for some great food in a local joint this it (tandoori lamb chops are amazing)!

For a pint just follow any of the suggestions already made.  I’ll be coming back home myself in June but sadly the season will be over.

good luck on your search!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try to go to Shivalli, city centre end of Welford Road when I'm in Leicester. Great vegetarian south Indian food. 

May I also agree with a couple of posters above that a problem with (some/many) people in Leicester is they don't tend to talk up the city as a place. Yes, there's more to be done but there are some great places to see and visit. 

• Like 2

Every city in the UK has rough edges. Leicester is no different. Though if you know the city well, it has some very attractive areas.

For a curry, I'd recommend Shivalli on Welford Road as it isn't too far from the stadium. You are also close to the city centre for any other things you may like to do. There are loads of great museums, bars, cafes, shops etc. in central Leicester. Perhaps the main thing that is missing is family leisure places.

The only part of the city centre which isn't nice is the northern section around Belgrave Gate and St Matthew's.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 09:58, Voll Blau said:

Mumbai Inn on London Road for a curry if you're coming by rail. Bowling Green, Criterion or Peel for a pre-match pint.

It's got to be Kayal if you are near the train station surely, probably the best Indian I've ever been in.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 06:22, brisfox said:

Swatlands in Oadby has the best curry in Leicester

Really? :huh: 

I went there with the missus last summer and had the worst curry we’d ever had. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, worthosoriginals said:

I suggest you stay in your beloved Nottingham then.

you are clearly no fan of leicester city football  club or anything leicester.

the doors there, goodbye.

Come on. You could be the biggest fan of the club and not like the city itself.

The city of Leicester is close to my heart - it's the one I know best and I have a lot of fond memories of it. However, I know it's far from the best. If you'd never been there, and you had to pick a city in England to live in, would you honestly choose Leicester?

I like Leicester as a place, but I can definitely see why someone else wouldn't.

• Like 1