Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Papy Mendy - coming back ?

The worry is that Puel likes a ‘water carrier’ as that’s what he was as a player and he may see Mendy as being able to do this role. I hope not as Mendy looked out of his depth last season and he’s not been a regular at Nice. I’d prefer a player in midfield that has obvious visible talents on the pitch rather than a player who gets comments like ‘does the simple things well’ or ‘most of his work goes unnoticed’ as that is usually code for bang average.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cc_star said:

He's not the octopus that Wilf & Kante is/was, but he does those 10yard passes that just retain possession, passing from deep to a full back for eg who then passes back to you

This works absolutely great if you then look up to make longer passes forwards, but Puel obviously won't look up for the runners.

What we need is someone with a longer passing range like Garry Parker, or Cambiasso, but under the current management I'm not sure it will work

Not sure they are up to the pace of the league now 

Mendy's a funny one. He seemed like the man brought in to replace Kante but all along, looking at the way he plays I think Ranieri brought him in for Inler rather than Kante. Though he's of a similar stature to Kante he plays the game very differently. I read Mendy as being a bit like Leon Britton, the ultimate 'keeps it ticking over' kind of player rather than an all-action player like Kante.

He was only ever played here in a midfield two, which is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense to me.

I thought when we appointed Puel that Mendy might still have a chance here but if he's not been any good for Nice either then maybe we won't bother.

It's a very weird situation, that we signed Puel's captain at Nice, for Puel to then come here as manager only to find his old captain is back on loan at the club he's since left. A weird coincidence.

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Fake News: Had the second best pass success rate on the pitch (and no they weren't all backwards 64 of 85 forwards), the second most tackles in our team, and only lost possession once.

As Matt pointed out, he had two or three slopping passes in a short spell (some of which were recovered), in between playing not too badly, he was nowhere near our worst player that day. That was ignored though and he got absolutely slated because all people wanted to focus on was a couple of sloppy passes.

I've seen comments like "Mendy is shocking. AtMillwall last week I've never seen a player give it away so consistently." (an actual comment) about the man with the best passing percentages on the pitch.

Nobody comes out of that game with any credit, but I sat through that game twice because I was so pissed off with the slating he was getting, and he was nothing like what people make out.

You must've had serious sympathy for the bloke. How on earth anyone can put themselves through that twice is beyond me.

13 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Had great stats before joining us and was cruelly unlucky with his injury.  None of us know whether he is good enough or not but it seems silly not to have a good look at him in pre-season ad give him a chance.  Once assessed he either becomes part of the team or we sell him on.  Either option is better than simply moving on because some people think he was sh1t against Millwall.  X

His stats before coming to us showed he retained possession, but to the eye it’s all Puel type of play; in your own half short passes.

Ideal for Claude, shit for the PL progress and not conducive to attacking positive football.

Hopefully Claude will be sacked,

we can unearth a progressive manager and Mendy can go elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Mendy's a funny one. He seemed like the man brought in to replace Kante but all along, looking at the way he plays I think Ranieri brought him in for Inler rather than Kante. Though he's of a similar stature to Kante he plays the game very differently. I read Mendy as being a bit like Leon Britton, the ultimate 'keeps it ticking over' kind of player rather than an all-action player like Kante.

He was only ever played here in a midfield two, which is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense to me.

I thought when we appointed Puel that Mendy might still have a chance here but if he's not been any good for Nice either then maybe we won't bother.

It's a very weird situation, that we signed Puel's captain at Nice, for Puel to then come here as manager only to find his old captain is back on loan at the club he's since left. A weird coincidence.

‘Keeps it ticking over’ is another way of describing a bang average player. 

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

His stats before coming to us showed he retained possession, but to the eye it’s all Puel type of play; in your own half short passes.

Ideal for Claude, shit for the PL progress and not conducive to attacking positive football.

Hopefully Claude will be sacked,

we can unearth a progressive manager and Mendy can go elsewhere.

Fair enough.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

not sure about Riyad being in and out but the other examples are mainly managers not rating those players within the playing structure they wanted to implement.  Nice knew mendy and they brought him back in on loan for the season.  None of the managers who allowed huth, albrighton and Simpson to leave were the ones who brought them into the club. 

That presumes it's the manager in charge of recruitment, Mendy is their former player and was rated very highly in his first spell their under Puel. It's not outside the realms of possibility that they remembered that and wanted him back. Pearson signed Kane and played him wide in a three, all managers can misuse players.

For the record, unless we're playing a three in the middle I don't think he'll make it here. His role at Nice was very well defined and it doesn't suit a 442 or a 4411.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

‘Keeps it ticking over’ is another way of describing a bang average player. 

Yeah, the "water carrier" player that suddenly became fashionable after Didier Deschamps in the holding role, that sort of thing should have died out in 1999, it was taken to the next level by players like Makelele, Redondo, Vieira and Cattermole :blink:(sorry Col) and more recently Busquets, Fernandinho and Kante. Guys that do all of that and are high energy, good tacklers and can also press the ball for 90 minutes, that guy who just spreads around a few simple passes and little else isn't enough anymore.

Football has moved on from then and is certainly has in a high tempo league like ours, you can only get away with it if your talent is outrageous like a Xavi or a Pirlo, and Papy Mendy isn't going to be that.

Papy come back, da da da da da

Oh Papy come back, da da da da

we need someone to rescue the midfield

we've heard all your injuries have healed!

Papy come back, da da da da da da

Papy come back da da da da da

if your in the team you'll be are engine

people had forgotten you not to mention

13 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Anyone who would be pleased with this is off their rocker, and most people saying they are are lying.

Just a nothing player who I couldn't care less about.

A record £13 million club record at the time nothing player, fcuked up forever probably in his debut game, I feel for the lad, but he's not the answer to any of our problems.

21 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

He genuinely played that same pass 3x in a row and gave it to them every time.

I didn’t say he was any worse than other players but he was shit mate.

Here is the thing, no you didn't say he was worse than others... but he seems to be the only one regularly slated for that game. I game if a remember rightly it turned out he'd been carrying that injury for a while and was ruled out for the season afterward. Kaputska gave the ball away endlessly in that game, but people focused on Mendy during and after the game. Silva has been pretty bloody awful on the ball so far, yet you get endless excuses made for him on here. Mendy misplaces a couple of passes in a game where he had the best pass % and people will never let it drop.

If your face fits, it seems people are willing to give you time on here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Here is the thing, no you didn't say he was worse than others... but he seems to be the only one regularly slated for that game. I game if a remember rightly it turned out he'd been carrying that injury for a while and was ruled out for the season afterward. Kaputska gave the ball away endlessly in that game, but people focused on Mendy during and after the game. Silva has been pretty bloody awful on the ball so far, yet you get endless excuses made for him on here. Mendy misplaces a couple of passes in a game where he had the best pass % and people will never let it drop.

If your face fits, it seems people are willing to give you time on here.

I don’t give anyone time mate, they are all an equal bunch of ***** lol 

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1