Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Jamie Vardy

8 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Might be controversial but I feel Vardy is holding us back because he can’t be dropped

Eh, I kinda feel this, but there is nobody on the squad who would regularly start over him on merit. His positioning is constantly problematic though, his preferred style hasn't fit the attack the majority of Puel's tenure, we really need a Diego Costa type who can drop back and occupy space further back in the box, get the ball easier, involve the wings more in the attack, etc. When Vardy is deep on the CB's hip, there is a gulf of empty space that only Shinji knows how to occupy properly. Without him, we have a striker who plays too far away from the ball to get regular service. 

Maybe Iheanacho can play the Costa role, would like to see him get time as the primary striker with Vards on the bench. But I am 90% the kid isn't striker material in the Prem. Still, may as well see for certain.

8 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Might be controversial but I feel Vardy is holding us back because he can’t be dropped

I just wrote a detailed reply to this which was lost. Cant be bothered to write it again

In short it said 'no', you're wrong

He cant be dropped because why the f**k would you drop him

• Thanks 1

I thought he was actually pretty good.  Won the ball back high up the pitch a few times and should have had an assist or two.  I think he probably "did what he was told" and I imagine Southgate is happy with him.  He definitely does suffer from not being passed to though.  So many times he was in a good position or making good runs and the pass never came.  I hope he gets a goal at some point, deserves one.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 4

He needs a playmaker who can thread the needle and not just pass to him when he has space but a playmaker who can pass to him in spaces to free him up from his defender (if that make sense).

Watching the chemistry that he and Riyad have than watching him on this England lineup gives the feeling of a disgusting downgrade

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I thought he was very good tonight. Won the ball back from upfront multiple times and Rashford should have scored after his excellent through ball.

He got no other service though all night other than one headed chance. Hard to show off what you can do when feeding off scraps. He did what he could.

I agree.

Southgate is no mug. He's been there and done it. He'll appreciate what Vardy did tonight. It won't get him a starting berth but GS knows Vardy would never let him down when needed.

• Like 1

Definitely asked to play a different game for England, plays very central and makes very few runs into the channel as we see for Leicester. Tried a few runs across the line but it must be frustrating watching every pass move sideways as you've just created space for yourself. 

Didn't have the best game last night and there was calls all over social media to send him home which was over dramatic. He simply did what he was asked to do along with the whole team which was to try in small bursts but otherwise just see the game out. No striker in the world would have done anything with the level of service the midfield last night provided.

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I thought he was actually pretty good.  Won the ball back high up the pitch a few times and should have had an assist or two.  I think he probably "did what he was told" and I imagine Southgate is happy with him.  He definitely does suffer from not being passed to though.  So many times he was in a good position or making good runs and the pass never came.  I hope he gets a goal at some point, deserves one.  X

I keep asking the same question - Why do the other players never pass to him? Kane wasn't playing last night so why was it? Don't they want England to score goals or is it simply that they don't want Vardy to be the one scoring them?!

There were multiple opportunities to thread the ball down to Vardy last night, yet players either passed to the side or tried to take silly, speculative shots from range.

For all his so called intellect, I actually find it quite worrying that Southgate is ok with his players rendering a 20 plus goal PL striker redundant??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Yep, Vardy adapted his game to fit in. Gave Rashford two chances that Kane would eat up all day. Left his mark on two of the three Belgian defenders too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I keep asking the same question - Why do the other players never pass to him? Kane wasn't playing last night so why was it? Don't they want England to score goals or is it simply that they don't want Vardy to be the one scoring them?!

There were multiple opportunities to thread the ball down to Vardy last night, yet players either passed to the side or tried to take silly, speculative shots from range.

For all his so called intellect, I actually find it quite worrying that Southgate is ok with his players rendering a 20 plus goal PL striker redundant??

I get so frustrated by this also but put most of it down to the lack of vision and talent of the midfield. I also get frustrated by those that think that Vardy is a one trick ball over the top pony, there's much more to his game now. How many times did we see him scamper down a wing last year to put a brilliant ball into the oppositions box only for none of our players to gamble and be on the end of it? I think Kane would be a different proposition. 

Also, do we also think Vardy would have been as lightweight and bullied by lesser teams defences like Sterling was? The proof is in the pudding. If Vardy had been playing for Man City last year,  do you think with that service he'd have scored 20 goals? If Sterling had been at Leicester receiving the service Vardy got, would he have scored 20 goals? Some players appear great with great players around them. Some can make things happen with lesser service.

• Like 1

Thought he did about as much as he could, in what was a very slow paced game.

The handful of things he did, worked well, especially the turn and through ball to Rashford, which Vardy would have scored!

I was just desperate for him to get a World Cup goal and complete a truly amazing fairy tale story, from the bottom to the top!

He may get another chance and I still think he is a better option to Rashford and Welbeck due to his superior finishing. 

24 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I get so frustrated by this also but put most of it down to the lack of vision and talent of the midfield. I also get frustrated by those that think that Vardy is a one trick ball over the top pony, there's much more to his game now. How many times did we see him scamper down a wing last year to put a brilliant ball into the oppositions box only for none of our players to gamble and be on the end of it? I think Kane would be a different proposition. 

Also, do we also think Vardy would have been as lightweight and bullied by lesser teams defences like Sterling was? The proof is in the pudding. If Vardy had been playing for Man City last year,  do you think with that service he'd have scored 20 goals? If Sterling had been at Leicester receiving the service Vardy got, would he have scored 20 goals? Some players appear great with great players around them. Some can make things happen with lesser service.

Yep, good points about Vardy's versatility and hard work. And yes, Sterling really does benefit from being a "big club" player.

It seems rather than help, us winning the PL has done more harm to Vardy's international career than anything.

27 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

The handful of things he did, worked well, especially the turn and through ball to Rashford, which Vardy would have scored!

I was just desperate for him to get a World Cup goal and complete a truly amazing fairy tale story, from the bottom to the top!

He may get another chance and I still think he is a better option to Rashford and Welbeck due to his superior finishing. 

You and me both! It'll be criminal if he doesn't get anymore chances this World Cup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I seem to remember, about a year ago, Vardy being criticised by the pundits for keeping too far forward throughout one of the England games, only to find out that he had been instructed to keep very high up so as to inhibit the ability of the opposing defenders to move out in support of their attack.  Who knows, perhaps the same instruction was given to him last night.

In any event, I agree with you on the plus points and I think he did as well as could be expected in the circumstances. In particular the several occasions when he challenged and robbed defenders, doing it as a solo act.  Had any of our other "attacking players" shown the same gumption then their defence could have had a much more uncomfortable evening.  Also, the infrequency of our midfielders pushing up to add support in the box was embarrassing.

3 hours ago, breadandcheese said:

It would have been useful to see Kane and Vardy playing together last night, even just for 20-30 mins. 

If we're chasing a game in the knockout stages, surely you want to know that your two best goalscorers can play together.

I absolutely agree that it was a great opportunity to see if some way could be found of playing them together.  If that could happen then 2 such lethal, but different, goal scorers playing together should strike fear into any opposition.

4 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I absolutely agree that it was a great opportunity to see if some way could be found of playing them together.  If that could happen then 2 such lethal, but different, goal scorers playing together should strike fear into any opposition.

I put this (out of the Telegraph this morning) in the England Belgium thread ...   Vardy/Kane ..  aint gonna happen ..

IMG_0835.jpg.1352792f0ecf20ab0ca566a5d68926f9.jpg

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I would hope to god that Gareth Southgate saw Danny's Welbeck finishing last night and think he would put him above Jamie Vardy in the pecking order.

10 minutes ago, RutlanderFox said:

To reinforce the point of him having no service just think that the only time he got in behind the Belgian defence last night was 2 minutes in from a dodgy opposition pass. England just don’t play to his strengths

We havent really made many chances in general.  Kane has scored from penalties and set pieces.  Has our only goal from open play been a pretty good long shot by Lingard?

We have not been tested at all yet.  Its a shame this match against Belgium was a dead rubber