Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Jamie Vardy

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Still looks to me like he doesn't believe he should be in the team.

Seems to play within himself a lot more for England.

Saving himself for later on in the tournament. Half that lot last night were on their knees towards the end.

12 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Still looks to me like he doesn't believe he should be in the team.

Seems to play within himself a lot more for England.

Really? I think he is probably more likely to adhere to the directions given to him by  GS than club managers where I suspect he rules the roost - but I'd be surprised if He is beset with self doubt or feelings of inferiority

To be honest, his not being used in the right way, he need to be on with 20 mins to go against a tired defence.

I'm a firm believer that if he had the chance Alli, Lingard and Sterling have had in the 4 games so far he would be sitting on 3-4 goals! 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

I wonder why he didn't take a penalty? I want JV to have his world cup moment and thought he would be the one to step up to take the last one instead of Dier!

I reckon Southgate will look to keep the same lineup against Sweden, but really think he should look at changes, including using Vardy instead of either Sterling or Lingard. Both were anonymous last night, and I think Vardy has looked when he's come on and / or got service.

Even when we won it JV ran off to Pickford holding his groin, you can see it on the photos. 

Second half of extra time he should have just forgotten what Southgate told him to do and should have just got stuck into them, they were finished with 10 minutes to go. 

Oh well, all's well that ends well.  

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

38 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

As much as we would have loved for him to have taken it and as much shite as he's getting for 'bottling it' from the rest of the country the right decision was made. Its about winning and this England team have failed so many times in the past placing faith and pressure on injured players.

I'm sure JV was gagging to take one and would have done it with one leg but I'm assuming GS pulled rank and put a fitter player ahead of him for the sake of winning and the sake of the team.

• Like 1

Jamie Vardy a doubt for World Cup quarter-final after injury prevents him from taking penalty in shoot-out
 Jamie Vardy - Jamie Vardy came on as a substitute in England's win over Colombia

4 JULY 2018 • 9:37AM
Jamie Vardy is in a race to be fit for England’s quarter-final against Sweden on Saturday following an injury that prevented him from taking a penalty in the shoot-out win over Colombia in Moscow on Tuesday night.

The Leicester City striker had an injection in his groin immediately after the game to treat the problem that occured five minutes into extra-time. He had come on as a substitute for Raheem Sterling in the 88th minute of normal time and lasted until the end of the 120 minutes despite the discomfort.

Southgate’s policy towards penalty takers is that they must be fit and comfortable to strike. The planning was that no injured players should take a penalty and Vardy was honest about his situation, otherwise he would have been on the list - most likely the fifth which was dispatched by Eric Dier in the end to win the shoot-out.

The Leicester striker takes them for his club and scored six last season, five in the Premier League and one in the EFL Cup. After the game the players returned to the dressing room for treatment and then came back out onto the pitch to see families who had waited behind in the stands as the Spartak Stadium emptied.

Vardy was among those who came out to see his wife Becky before the squad headed back to their base in Repino, north of Saint Petersburg. Vardy has started one game, against Belgium, and has been used as a substitute for England in their three other World Cup matches. Choosing fit and fresh players to take penalties was a key part of the England strategy and Marcus Rashford, a late substitute was immediately asked by Southgate to fulfill the task.

3 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Said it in another thread, but at about 70 mins the game was open and crying for Vards to come on

Southgate brought Dier on

Yes I thought that was positively weird. Need to be bolder and go for a second before parking the bus.

• Like 1

Same as someone else mentioned, the game was so stretched after we scored in normal time, with Columbia throwing men forward, that we were screaming out for Vardy to replace Sterling.

We were launching clearances up the field, and I have no doubt Vards sitting on their last man could have killed Columbia off, if brought on earlier.

Trouble was, Southgates head was on shutting Columbia out, not killing them off on the break. (Understandable to an extent, so not criticising particularly, but it did nearly cost us).

I’m sure Jamie would have loved the pressure of taking that last penalty, (which is why he was originally 5 on the list) injury or not, but he seems like he very much tows the line with what Southgate asks for, so the injury took it out of his hands.

• Like 1

If Vardy had took a pen and missed some on here would say Southgate threw him under the bus. We're through, that is a million times more important than who took the pens.

• Like 3

Guest Foxin_mad
3 hours ago, goose2010 said:

thought he had a good game to be honest.

Cant think of one useful thing he did, gave away procession, lost the ball easily and utter rubbish at shooting. Really unsure what he offers personally.