Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Snik-Snok

Stadium Expansion Plan Meeting

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

From what I was told they own the land already and that goes in the rebuild with a 7 story hotel in its place.

That's interesting.We cut down the back of the Holiday Inn after matches and there used to be a car gate(for want of a better term)that everone used to have to go under....but that looks like it's gone.

For those who don't want to make their eyes bleed by going on the Mercury website:

Leicester City chairman Khun Vichai discusses King Power Stadium expansion plans

City have considered a stadium expansion for eight years but chairman now feels the time is right

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  6SHARES
  •  
  • COMMENTS

By
Rob TannerLeicester City Editor
  • 15:00, 21 AUG 2018

Leicester City’s owners have resisted the urge to increase the King Power Stadium’s capacity in the past because they didn’t want to damage the matchday atmosphere.

Chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha has revealed the club has considered developing the stadium for the past eight years, but wanted to ensure the demand was there and that City’s matchday atmosphere would remain vociferous.

Khun Vichai believes the time is now right for an expansion of the King Power Stadium and plans are now being discussed, but he said it was too early to reveal how the development would take shape and how much the ground’s capacity would be increased.

“It is something we have thought about a lot over the last eight years, but we had to be sure that the club was ready to take that step and that it was consistent with the sustainable growth of the club,” he wrote in the matchday magazine for the visit of Wolverhampton Wanderers.

“The King Power Stadium atmosphere has been such a big asset to Leicester City during that time that we had to make sure any possible expansion would be good for the matchday experience and the advantage it gives to the team on the pitch.

KP.jpg
The King Power

“Having studied the evidence and current trends we felt now, following the growth and success of the last two years, was the time to move forward.

“It’s a really exciting project that we are determined to deliver for our fans and the Leicester community.

“King Power Stadium is already a major asset to Leicester that has not only been the stage for some of the greatest sporting stories ever seen, but it has brought some of the finest international sport to the city too.

“We see it not only as an opportunity for the club, but as our duty to give the city of Leicester a venue and a destination worthy of its strong standing in world sport.”

It has been rumoured for some time that the East Stand will feature in any redevelopment and expansion, but Khun Vichai said decisions are still to be made.

“There are still parties to be consulted and processes to be observed before we can commit to a timeline or detailed plans, (including capacity), but I’m confident that, with the support of our fans and our community, we will be able to reports some progress in the near future,” he added.

For the love of god someone please reformat that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

almost just easier to rebuild a new ground, a nice new modern one... the KP is just a template 2003 stadium whcih lacks soul and character! 

I think it probably would be, but then they’d have uproar from a section of the fan base who don’t give a sh*t about what makes sense longer term. 

If we had moved to one of the outer ring round sites suggested before we got the current stadium, we’d probaly have even greater scope to expand

Edited by holyfox
Additional detail

3 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

almost just easier to rebuild a new ground, a nice new modern one... the KP is just a template 2003 stadium whcih lacks soul and character! 

Not really, I’m not particularly keen on the ground but with the planning, design and construction etc etc the timescale will be about 5 years which is an absolute age in football 

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Moving to the outskirts of a city has killed Coventry and made so many other grounds even worse.

I agree, but Leicester is not as widely spread out as those cities and something in Beaumont Leys or syston is still relatively easy to access from the twin Centre 

Would like to see some more bars open up in the area similar to the eating district in the Highcross.

It's nice being walking distance to the ground but it would be even nicer to have a wider choice of places to go, as the Uni is around there it will get used a fair bit too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, holyfox said:

I agree, but Leicester is not as widely spread out as those cities and something in Beaumont Leys or syston is still relatively easy to access from the twin Centre 

If its on the outskirts like that, that still creates a huge transport problem for those of us who aren't able to drive.

I'm in loughborough. Dead easy for me to hop on the train, then I'm a short walk from the ground. For plenty others, buses serve the same purpose. As soon as you move out of the city centre to somewhere like Beaumont Leys, thats at least one more leg to our journey, which becomes more difficult and time-consuming and would put a fair few people off.

There's not many places which would be better for us. We're close to the old ground, its easy for home and away fans to get to, and close enough to the city centre that there's plenty of places for a drink. If the rumoured additional development around the ground happens as well and includes more bars/food places etc, then that makes it even better.

• Like 4

It really doesn’t have to be that expensive, for an extension, comparatively.

The infrastructure is there. More seats, more tiers, more stairs, more facilities and a good quality solid exterior wrap. This can be done without too much pain. There’s quite a lot more cost, if the owners want to increase the corporate side vastly. Boxes, hospitality etc 

I can't believe people are even talking about moving stadium! What would be the point of that? If/when the expansion happens, we'll be set for a long time. I'm sure there'll not be any need for more seats for decades, at least, and if that need arises, I'm sure it can be expanded again.

Maybe the KP does seem soulless to some people. It doesn't to me, but I think this is a problem with any new or not very old stadium. The KP already has more history than many grounds that are a lot older. Filbert St. might have had more charm, but why was that? Was it because we knew how old it was and what had happened there, or was it because it was a bit patchwork and run down? If it's the former, then only staying at the KP over a long time might give it more character. If it's the latter, then expanding a stand or two with different designs might do the same thing.

I've no doubt that if we did move, some people would make the exact same complaints about a new stadium and feel nostalgic about the KP.

It could be that the KP is the luckiest ground in the world. Whether it is or not, it's the home of the team that achieved the impossible. I don't think we should be so eager to abandon it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, holyfox said:

I’d happily give everything my ex-wife now has to see 40,000 people descend on Syston ??

• Haha 4