Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

For me, where Puel struggled last year was breaking down and creating chances against the smaller teams. I remember we had a run of like 5 home games towards March/April last season where we had 5 bottom half games at HOME and didn't win any. This was his downfall and why we didn't really push for Europe.

However, I can see him making strides to alter this. The high press we've been seeing the team play in parts of pre season games will likely be implemented against these lesser teams with less confidence that can't play through the press, and we're likely to create chances just from this.

We've always been able to compete with the big boys because of our pace on the counter but Puel is now turning us into a team that can also dominate possession, and win the ball back high up the pitch to create chances. 

Genuinely think we'll be singing his (and his high press') praises come the end of the season.

• Thanks 1

For me a great transfer window but he now needs to transfer the intent onto the pitch. In my opinion it was the window we should have had after the title, bringing in young talent from across Europe we could have slowly integrated into the team with the extra fixtures. Fairly clear Puel didn't have the personnel, particularly at the back, to play his game last season but let's not lose sight that what was presented was boring at best. Seasons after WCs always start weird as first teasers return to teams so tonight is no barometer. If after 10 games we're serving up 1 shot on target performances I'll be worried.

Edited by brookfox

CP has now had the club's backing with some serious coin in the transfer market (Diabate aside) for the first time so it's now on him to show  some forward movement both in results and in the quality of the footy served up but it will take time so the predictable calls to sack him when we lose to Wolves or draw with Bournemouth should be resisted . It can be done - every fibre in my body wanted him out after the palace and West Ham results but alcohol helped on that occasion :P

Edited by surrifox
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, surrifox said:

CP has now had the club's backing with some serious coin in the transfer market (Diabate aside) for the first time so it's now on him to show  some forward movement both in results and in the quality of the footy served up but it will take time so the predictable calls to sack him when we lose to Wolves or draw with Bournemouth should be resisted . It can be done - every fibre in my body wanted him out after the palace and West Ham results but alcohol helped on that occasion :P

I think you're on the wrong thread mate ????

I'm sure this season is no more important than any other and if we lose 3 or 4 on the bounce or go 6 or 7 without a win the outcome will be as predictable as ever i.e. Farewell Claude, bring back NP / MoN / Martin Allen. Fortunately, it does appear that the board have exercised a little patience and also backed him in the transfer window so there are reasons to be positive even though I cannot forget our 0-8 aggregate against Jeff Schlupp and Palace last season.

I am quite excited for this season. I am glad we did not sack him as the club needed to change from the abysmal hit and hope hoofball with noone being able to pass.

Now we have a team that is capable of playing with the ball, as well as countering and hopefully breaking defences down a lot easier with the likes of Maddison and Pereira instead of Okazaki and Simpson, and players like Silva having a full preseason with the squad. 

I share Puel's vision. I think there will be some shit along the way but even during the title win we had poor games at times. Just hope we don't sack him after a few games and begin the process of finding another manager, probably ending up with Allardyce or some shite and go back to hoofing, which makes all our Summer transfers irrelevant. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

For me, where Puel struggled last year was breaking down and creating chances against the smaller teams. I remember we had a run of like 5 home games towards March/April last season where we had 5 bottom half games at HOME and didn't win any. This was his downfall and why we didn't really push for Europe.

However, I can see him making strides to alter this. The high press we've been seeing the team play in parts of pre season games will likely be implemented against these lesser teams with less confidence that can't play through the press, and we're likely to create chances just from this.

We've always been able to compete with the big boys because of our pace on the counter but Puel is now turning us into a team that can also dominate possession, and win the ball back high up the pitch to create chances. 

Genuinely think we'll be singing his (and his high press') praises come the end of the season.

Exactly. The amount of pressure that both Hardy and Maddison put on defenders when they press is gonna create a fair amount of chances this year. 

1 hour ago, Gwyn said:

I stand with Puel and my comments as I've said above, it's a long term goal. Not just trying to avoid relegation as a target. I believe we will see improvement tonight.

Let's get behind him ????

I’m with you man. The point that I’m making is if we suffer a heavy loss tonight you just watch what happens on here...

:P

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Yeah man, sounds like you're right behind him lol

So anyone who does not fancy Puel can't actually support him and the team, well there are a lot of us and  I am sure we are all going to be behind them, does not mean we cannot express our concerns which based on his track record so far are well founded.

45 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’m with you man. The point that I’m making is if we suffer a heavy loss tonight you just watch what happens on here...

:P

I was giving it until 5pm next Saturday. United away is not where we can expect a result and even those of us who don't rate the manager can't draw too many conclusions, however Wolves at home is another matter.

5 minutes ago, Ian S said:

I was giving it until 5pm next Saturday. United away is not where we can expect a result and even those of us who don't rate the manager can't draw too many conclusions, however Wolves at home is another matter.

Respectfully, and even bearing in mind that the 2nd half of last season was iffy, 2 matches into a new season isn't enough - otherwise, should we win them both, then that surely means everyone will suddenly be fully behind him.

Not having a pop, I can fully appreciate why you might be sceptical of Puel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

No, lets revisit it in 8-12 games. Not after a game away to a team who finished second with as many points as we had when we won the league.

Also we’re not going to be at our best, we can’t field our strongest team tonight what with fitness etc, Morgan will probably still start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Most people on ft were prepared to give Puel a pre season and a chance.

That pre season is now up, and most people are very happy with the significance of the signings. It seems that Claude is genuinely the only manager who has identified weaknesses and gone about rectifying them astutely.

RB, Cam, CB's.

He is also going to revolutionise our style of play, and I can guarantee you that it will look nothing like we played last season.

So let's get behind him as he will be feeling hurt already by the fingers pointed at him last season.

I believe he is building a solid foundation here and won't just walk away to another club. I do think that in time he will have done more for the club than Martin O'Neill, and he never forgot how we treated him.

I've said it before, he is a Wenger clone and in the long term, will be a saviour of our club.

Puel isn't a Wenger clone - he'd like to be one, though.

Wenger arrived in England well-prepared, articulate, professorial, open, with an idea in mind (just look at his first interview upon signing for Arsenal in 1996) . Yes, it took him some time to get started and Arsenal back then was a different calibre as opposed to rollercoaster that is/was Leicester City FC, but he finished 3rd, let's not forget that.

I'm looking forward to the new season, it has a feel of "starting with a clean slate" for some reason. Puel has now had a full pre-season under his belt, enough time to rectify the problems that plagued us or him last season (well, in the second half of last season), he's had time to work on his communication skills and there are no more excuses not to deliver.

Now is the time.