Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

I agree media sensational crap. No one expects him to stay forever, he may stay for two more seasons if things turn out well. Why would you move now to a different club in trouble and ruin your reputation when you are looking to be successful at a major club. He is far from stupid and has many more years in management he will go when the time is right, if he proves he can do big things here they will be queing up for him 

If BR left to united or Arsenal and failed he could be done for any massive club again. Might be best to wait for the right situation. He is smart man and knows whatever is best for his career.

I definitely don't expect loyalty from any manager these days especially when they are doing well. When you're flying high, everyone wants ya. If he decides to become a "Fergie" type then i hope its with us as long as the results last!

Right  now, i am just thinking about this season. We need liverpool to slip on some banana peels!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's not reality. Reality is way more boring. 

Reality is Rodgers has a contract and can't just leave on a whim. Reality is he's never been unprofessional to force a move, in fact reality is I can't think of many succesful managers who have. 

What you're talking about isn't reality, it's tabloid gossip drama. 

And Liverpool were in nowhere near the mess United are now plus Klopp was out of work, having left Dortmund six months prior. 

Have heard there is quite a sizeable release clause in it which may put people off. Hes also on 5m a year which for a manager is quite a lot and is our 2nd / 3rd highest paid employee.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Abrasive fox said:

Have heard there is quite a sizeable release clause in it which may put people off. Hes also on 6m a year which for a manager is quite a lot and is our 2nd / 3rd highest paid employee.

I'd guess Schmeichel and Vardy are the two paid more?

2 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

3 years at Celtic

3 years at Liverpool (4 seasons)

2 years at Swansea

5 jobs in his managerial career - 2 of which he was sacked from.

And so that leaves moving on from his first ever job in management where he spent 6 months, leaving Swansea for Liverpool - a chance that after only 4 years in management may not come around again - and moving from Celtic, where he had won everything he could 3 times over in a league where there was absolutely nowhere to go.

Hardly a mercenary

I posted something similar the last time this topic came up (which seems to happen every week!).

Even the Celtic job - he was riding high with them and the only reason he's being accused of disloyalty is because of the timing of his departure as they were in the midst of the run-in to the treble-treble. If Puel had been sacked early November (as was rumoured, circumstances obviously changed things) and Rodgers had joined then then a lot of this disloyal nonsense would have been avoided, save for a handful of Celtic fans who cant accept that the PL is a step up.

Every job he's left (of his own accord) to date has been a pretty clear step up to progress his career with a tougher challenge. From Leicester, if we keep up our current standard (or even get better!) then there are very few jobs which would offer him that kind of step up. He won't go back to Liverpool and Arsenal/United/Spurs are currently a step down and a poisoned chalice. If Mourinho turns it around at Spurs then they won't be in the market for a manager, and Arsenal/United will sack/hire at least once more before we'd even consider letting anyone talk to Rodgers about a move. Man City could potentially be interested when Guardiola leaves and Chelsea might be keen, but Lampard looks to be doing a good job so far, but other than those there aren't any other domestic jobs I can imagine him being interested in. Abroad, the big sides in each division would probably turn his head - especially in Spain - but they don't tend to go for British managers very often so I think he'd have to prove himself at an even higher level (i.e. CL) to convince them to take a punt. No idea if he has any aspirations of international management, but at least at club level I don't think we have any reason to be concerned about a potential departure any time soon.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

He’s a professional. Of course he will have  an eye on his own career and salary. But I wonder where ‘satisfaction’ or ‘enjoyment’ sit in his thinking? In the present set-up, I would imagine both must be scoring highly? Relatively low amounts of media or supporter pressure, fabulous attitude amongst squad, as good a set of owners as he could wish to work for, money to spend, high degree of autonomy, players that are respectful and keen to learn. There’s a heck of a lot to be said for rolling up at work every day with a smile on your face. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Have heard there is quite a sizeable release clause in it which may put people off. Hes also on 5m a year which for a manager is quite a lot and is our 2nd / 3rd highest paid employee.

We paid £8.8m to get him from Celtic so I imagine a release clause may be around the £25m mark. 

I honestly believe he'll stay here just as long as he believes that players aren't leaving, the squad continues to develop and he has the buying power to keep improving. Once he feels he's taken the club as far as he can he will probably change his mind but if he feels this team is only getting better then he'll want to stay.

He probably rules the roost here more than at a bigger club and I would imagine he loves the environment he works in with the new training ground on the horizon and fantastic young players. A Champions League spot minimum and maybe even a trophy then hopefully he can persuade the players to stay a bit longer and I think he'll be happy to stay if that's the case. He can always pick a job a year or two later if he feels we have plateaued. There's a lot to be said for staying in a job that you love with great people around you and that goes for both BR and the players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Mate, come off it, Liverpool had a team with Moreno, Sakho, Joe Allen etc and losing 6-1 to Stoke whilst finish about 9th. 

As for BR, hes already left a club mid season. And yes I know its SPL blah blah but he did do it. Im not saying he would leave us this March but at some point in couple of years he will move on and many on here wont understand why he is moving to a club below us in the table.

it's all ifs and buts at the end of the day, yes in 2 or 3 years i wouldn't be surprised if he went to Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester United if we finish 6th and 7th and no silverware, but if we finish 1st and 3rd, win an fa cup and the champions league, then yes, i would be slightly more surprised. let's just see how it goes and enjoy it while it's going well.

Interestingly on Football Manager 2013 when I left Leicester for Real Madrid and England after 10 seasons, I left the club in such high esteem that they poached the Bayern Munich manager as my replacement. It was Brendan Rodgers.

Makes you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is just over six months into a 5 yr 25m contract 

to leave now would cost someone a lot of money though a yanited would pay it 

as his contract runs down, his RC likely will in tandem ...... His agent should have ensured that relationship 

he won’t be going anywhere in the next year or two unless he isn’t supported by the club in some way - that gives him an ‘out’ without raising questions about his loyalty which no manager wants against their reputation...

Edited by st albans fox

44 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

'The Media' still can't cope with the following things:

1. That Leicester actual City won the Premier League.

2. That Brendan Rodgers would see LCFC as a brighter prospect than Celtic.

3. That two of their traditional Top 4 are in absolute chaos.

4. That Leicester actual City are trying to permanently join the 'elite' and are doing so without buying our way in like Chelsea, Man City and latterly Liverpool. 

Brendan is a highly intelligent person as well as being one of the smartest coaches in the world.

Yes, he wanted a top job, and is deserving of that.

But he's smart enough to see that Arsenal and Man Utd are at least 5 years away from restoring any sort of sanity in the upper echelons of their clubs with no clear identity each. 

Liverpool and Man City have two elite managers who will be staying for very a long time. 

Chelsea have dubious practices that often get them in trouble with the authorities - Lampard is doing well and while it's almost like they've been rewarded by having a transfer ban, they're probably just going to throw money at him next summer and see what sticks.

Spurs are Spurs. Levy has buggered them for a generation with stadium and the financial strife that puts on their transfer budget. They've an ageing squad now, half of whom can leave for free next summer. And they're shit. Never forget that.

With us he has everything he could possibly need. Best owners in football. Some of the best recruitment staff. A DOF who now takes the piss out of the biggest clubs in the world. A brand spanking new training ground coming up next summer.

And the most important: no/low expectations. Us fans aren't used to glory which is why 2015/16 meant so much.

We don't demand any silverware or European competitions. 

He has the freedom here to rebuild his reputation and achieve things the media don't want us to. 

Personally I'm happy to just enjoy the ride.

Still think he would go to Arsenal or Spurs given half a chance ..

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Mate, come off it, Liverpool had a team with Moreno, Sakho, Joe Allen etc and losing 6-1 to Stoke whilst finish about 9th. 

As for BR, hes already left a club mid season. And yes I know its SPL blah blah but he did do it. Im not saying he would leave us this March but at some point in couple of years he will move on and many on here wont understand why he is moving to a club below us in the table.

There is a massive difference between moving on now and moving on in a couple of years, post potential champions league, post Vardy, post probably Maddison, Chilwell, Soyuncu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Interestingly on Football Manager 2013 when I left Leicester for Real Madrid and England after 10 seasons, I left the club in such high esteem that they poached the Bayern Munich manager as my replacement. It was Brendan Rodgers.

Makes you think.

Fooking scab :mad:

• Like 1

What's the obsession with the idea of BR leaving us? 

Granted he doesn't have any particular love for us and obviously wants a big job in the future but the man is ambitious. And because of that ambition, he'd clearly rather take underdogs Leicester City into the Champions League than jump ship to a Spurs, Arsenal or United. No doubt he will move on at some point but he's not mug. He knows that if he stays with Leicester for the next couple of years and gets us into the CL, it'll massively raise his stock. He'll be reveered as a genius and then he walks into a real top job. 

It's utterly illogical for him to move on in the next 18 months when he's basically guaranteed to increase his stock whilst here.

• Like 1