Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I would have thought any of the FA Cups they won would be better than a 94th minute winner against us that ultimately meant nothing to them.

20 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wow! That’s actually a little bit strange. I can understand the emotion and excitement at the time, but ultimately it was irrelevant. It’s almost like they’ve still not realised it and the celebrations and post match photos were of a trophy winning team.

Bizarre!

It’s a bit like the Deeney goal in the play-off semifinal. Great football theatre, nice for Watford fans to remember and slightly painful for us. Balanced against the fact that the result, in time, was rendered absolutely meaningless. 

12 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Wow! That’s actually a little bit strange. I can understand the emotion and excitement at the time, but ultimately it was irrelevant. It’s almost like they’ve still not realised it and the celebrations and post match photos were of a trophy winning team.

Bizarre!

It’s a bit like the Deeney goal in the play-off semifinal. Great football theatre, nice for Watford fans to remember and slightly painful for us. Balanced against the fact that the result, in time, was rendered absolutely meaningless. 

Meaningless for Watford maybe, but for us I reckon it had a vital effect on our mentality the next season.

• Like 2

On 05/12/2019 at 15:01, Ric Flair said:

It really is, I remember when Rodgers Liverpool went on that 11 game winning run and they whole country was spaffing in their kegs about them. We're only a few games off that sequence and yet we aren't getting the same hype and I love it! Keep writing us off or ignoring us, it suits us. Keep abusing Vardy's missus, play in to our hands and we'll ruin you. What a season, what a club.

Yup. I’d prefer to work quietly and give some pundits some red faces at the end of the season. I’d like some good quality analysis but I often find better stuff online. I’m glad we’re run so well: pundits were happy to see us sell Kanté, Mahrez and Maguire to bigger clubs and we’re above all of them now.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Koke said:

I would have thought any of the FA Cups they won would be better than a 94th minute winner against us that ultimately meant nothing to them.

Why pick something that people can universally agree with, when you can pick something controversial that will get people riled up. How many people will be talking about it and retweeting it if it was an FA Cup winning goal.

35 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

and the great escape, and holding our nerve to win the premier league. 

I mean come on.

I can get that losing that game might have strengthened our resolve for the immediate season following, but the bigger influences on us winning the PL in 2016 are too numerous to mention.

People take these sliding doors analogies a bit too far. If this didn’t happen, if that didn’t happen etc. etc. Any one of them is true in its own way.

But really winning the Premier League in 2016 didn’t have an awful lot to do with a play off semi final we lost in 2013 with a squad of many different and inferior players. It might a been one flutter of the butterfly’s wings, but amongst a few thousand more. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

I mean come on.

I can get that losing that game might have strengthened our resolve for the immediate season following, but the bigger influences on us winning the PL in 2016 are too numerous to mention.

People take these sliding doors analogies a bit too far. If this didn’t happen, if that didn’t happen etc. etc. Anyone of them is true in its own way.

But really winning the Premier League in 2016 didn’t have an awful lot to do with a play off semi final we lost in 2013 with a squad of many different and inferior players. It might a been one flutter of the butterfly’s wings, but amongst a few thousand more. 

I don’t care much for sliding door analogies either but It’s the follow on from that season, it gave them a resolve. The promotion season that followed gave us the strength of character to sustain a title run, as people were waiting for us to lose our nerve a few pointed out that we had already shown we could deal with the pressure. Similarly the great great escape also helped us deal with the pressure of closing out the title, Albrighton referred  to the pressure of the great escape during the title run in. We weren’t some green, weak at the knees chancers, and while recruiting a certain type of character helped those experiences fortified a strong mentality within the squad that is still evident today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I don’t care much for sliding door analogies either but It’s the follow on from that season, it gave them a resolve. The promotion season that followed gave us the strength of character to sustain a title run, as people were waiting for us to lose our nerve a few pointed out that we had already shown we could deal with the pressure. Similarly the great great escape also helped us deal with the pressure of closing out the title, Albrighton referred  to the pressure of the great escape during the title run in. We weren’t some green, weak at the knees chancers, and while recruiting a certain type of character helped those experiences fortified a strong mentality within the squad that is still evident today.

All little parts of the jigsaw maybe.

Losing the Watford game strengthened our resolve to get promoted.

The Great Escape season built on that etc.. etc..  Yawn!

Between Watford and the PL title we’d also recruited: Fuchs, Huth, Simpson, Albrighton, Kante, Mahrez and Okazaki. Vardy had taken over from Nugent as our main striker. Ranieri was our manager. I reckon any one of those might have had a greater bearing on what we achieved.

Sacking David Pleat in 1991 probably played a small part in what we’ve gone on to achieve. 

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Sell a defender for a world record fee and then improve defensively. 

Amazing when you think about it 

We really have to congratulate Susan and Rudders for taking Manure’s pants down.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Sell a defender for a world record fee and then improve defensively. 

Amazing when you think about it 

Sell an individual, create a team.

Maguire might have been our best defender last season, but we now defend as a team and are much better for it.

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Sell an individual, create a team.

Maguire might have been our best defender last season, but we now defend as a team and are much better for it.

Probably would have anyway under Rodgers. Maguire would just have been a part of that team. However I genuinely think Caglar is an upgrade and that we are better individually without Big H. 

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Probably would have anyway under Rodgers. Maguire would just have been a part of that team. However I genuinely think Caglar is an upgrade and that we are better individually without Big H. 

I think Maguire is a very decent player but the answer to man utds problems and worth 80 million plus not just no but hell no.

13 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

if Maguire was still here we would probably be no way near our current position imo.

fair play to the club for getting it right I was against selling him but I've never really rated him either.

I think the hype associated with Maguire is far greater than his actual ability to defend.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2