Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KFS

Why does Morgan play?

Last couple of games we've gotten away with it because neither Newcastle or Huddersfield have any real pace but Morgan's sloth is a problem whether people want to admit it or not. 

It's not hate, I love the guy, he's actually played reasonably well in terms of not making mistakes and commanding his space etc. 

But he was a big part of the problem at Bournemouth, whether he himself technically made mistakes or not, simply his crippling lack of pace is just a genuine obstacle as was Wasyl's in his last season. 

Maguire and Evans are no sprinters but they're still probably twice as mobile and agile as poor Wes is tbf, who he turns like an oil tanker and is comparable in speed. Makes Maguire look like a jet ski. 

It does pose problems, the others have to cover and it leaves us way short if we're playing a high line. He's still a solid defender and he's still a good influence to have on the pitch and against slower attacking teams I don't have any problem with him being picked but he's definitely got his limits now. 

• Like 2

It might sound harsh but he's our least worst alternative after Maguire. That's not to say he's not played well this season - he has and he doesn't look like he's lost a step from last year. Thing about Morgan is, he's not slow in a straight foot race. It's when he's turned one-on-one that he's too slow to recover.

Edited by Wizerud
  • Like 2

Approaching the age of 35 and still is premier league class, which is respectable in itself. I think this season is perfect for him and us to part ways at the end whilst he's still physically able, whilst allowing Soyuncu to bed in and hopefully take over, i'd rather not rush Turkish if we can help it (With the language barrier and difference between prem and Bundesliga).

There definitely a fair few starting CBs in this league worse than Wes, but I think peoples expectations have risen given how well Maguire has done and the fact we've spent a fortune on some new ones. Just this season, lets be patient and give him a send off he deserves.

• Like 1

I would stick with him for another season ..hes a great captain and shot blocker..and against the likes of Lakaku,Deeney and Arnoutivic more than holds his own physically..his inability to get off the ground when defending crosses and corners probably his weakest point.

But long term a back three of Amartey  Benkovic  Maguire could be quality

The answer to the opening post is quite simple, he plays because he's the best option currently. I'm baffled at the rush to get him out the side. Evans has played and been average and soyuncu is getting to speed, we've never seen him play so we can't be sure he's going to set the world alight plus his time will come. Wes hasn't done too bad at all this season so we stick with him until we have comfortably better alternatives 

• Like 1

Fk..you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Fk your immature conspiracy theories

he is our club captain..nobody yet has been good enough to oust him..more man than most on here!!!

I have questioned him,I have doubted ,I have my own agenda my own ideas how to improve the backline!!

But...To snatch this legends place, you will have to earn it!! You have to prove you are only 10% a better !

Presently...even after cover,and future potential investment...Wes Morgan is still playing higher than many

Expected....and that my friends is the problem, some irritants are frustrated because he's still strong and holds his own.

Yes there are CBs around better than our very own Wes,......but until any other potential intern pops.up and proves himself,,

They are not presently at our club!!!    Puel rightly imo,presently is playing early in the season our best CB pairing...

Evans,Soyuncu,and Bernie at Celtic,will step up...But be happy WES is still the man..because old and young upstarts

Ain't yet cutting it....

Tattoo that into your brains...

• Like 1

Soyuncu is yet to be fluent with English. 

Evans is unlucky as he got injured when he's match fit and the season starts. 

When he's comeback, our fixtures saw some away match which always difficult regardless of opponents and some home match which half of them are against big teams. 

Both of his pl start are showing sign of need match fitness, especially against wolves. 

Morgan didn't play that bad at all. So unfortunately he will play for a while. 

Huth got injured. He didn't. 

2 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

Soyuncu is yet to be fluent with English. 

Evans is unlucky as he got injured when he's match fit and the season starts. 

When he's comeback, our fixtures saw some away match which always difficult regardless of opponents and some home match which half of them are against big teams. 

Both of his pl start are showing sign of need match fitness, especially against wolves. 

Morgan didn't play that bad at all. So unfortunately he will play for a while. 

Huth got injured. He didn't. 

Again language comes up....How many top teams buy foreigners,who need an interpreter..some for 2-3 yrs...

Pitch calls..are easy to pick up...1st few months very basic language easy to pick up...Language is not a footballing problem,

Only when it's time to get your round in...:D

Been fine excluding Bournemouth and the red. It did annoy me on Saturday though when Newcastle had an attack (which was stopped last min by Maguire) and he just stopped running, which could have been costly as one of their players ran into the box unmarked. Seemed a bit lazy to me. 

As long as we dont play a high line it isnt a total disaster. 

18 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Really don't understand people losing their shit over Morgan playing. He's been perfectly serviceable so far this season. His contract expires next summer I believe, and we have just bought 2 promising young potential replacements who should be ready to take over next season. Why the fuss?

He's past it mate not good enough for prem any more too slow

22 minutes ago, somebum said:

He's past it mate not good enough for prem any more too slow

And yet we sit 7th with 11 teams having the same or worse goals against, with other players having been far more culpable than him for goals against this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And yet we sit 7th with 11 teams having the same or worse goals against, with other players having been far more culpable than him for goals against this season.

What I wonder about is that his limitations have been known to us for years. He was hopelessly exposed during much of our first season back up, but as a team we've done quite well to protect the back four ever since our great escape. I'd argue he's a better player now, but we don't have Kanté so there'll be gaps showing on occasion. 

I'm actually impressed with how well he's maintained his pace and he usually makes good decisions. He's also quite good at making a few 'dirty' free kicks, like Wasyl, that for some reason go unnoticed or at least unpunished.

That said, like Simpson, he's a player who's ability limits the team in general, particularly with the style we're adopting now.

I don't think his personal playing "style" does much to help him win fans over either as he never looks comfortable on the ball and isn't very agile at all.

4 minutes ago, shen said:

What I wonder about is that his limitations have been known to us for years. He was hopelessly exposed during much of our first season back up, but as a team we've done quite well to protect the back four ever since our great escape. I'd argue he's a better player now, but we don't have Kanté so there'll be gaps showing on occasion. 

I'm actually impressed with how well he's maintained his pace and he usually makes good decisions. He's also quite good at making a few 'dirty' free kicks, like Wasyl, that for some reason go unnoticed or at least unpunished.

That said, like Simpson, he's a player who's ability limits the team in general, particularly with the style we're adopting now.

I don't think his personal playing "style" does much to help him win fans over either as he never looks comfortable on the ball and isn't very agile at all.

I don't want me defending him to come across like I think he's amazing, I can see what his issues are. It just frustrates me when people blow it all out of proportion. A bit like they do with all players at some point, like Mendy being completely written off before he's hardly kicked a ball. Or people seemingly forgetting the number of times Amartey has actually played ok at right back. Or writing off Chilwell as a lost cause before he'd even got to 21.

There is some absolutely fine constructive and fair critisism going around, @Finnegan has been critical of problems he sees with certain players, the manager or our style in the last few days. But it's all perfectly fair and not blowing things out of proportion. I wish there was a bit more of that and a bit less of the... "he's shit", "he's finished" "it's all his fault" type posts.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't want me defending him to come across like I think he's amazing, I can see what his issues are. It just frustrates me when people blow it all out of proportion. A bit like they do with all players at some point, like Mendy being completely written off before he's hardly kicked a ball. Or people seemingly forgetting the number of times Amartey has actually played ok at right back. Or writing off Chilwell as a lost cause before he'd even got to 21.

There is some absolutely fine constructive and fair critisism going around, @Finnegan has been critical of problems he sees with certain players, the manager or our style in the last few days. But it's all perfectly fair and not blowing things out of proportion. I wish there was a bit more of that and a bit less of the... "he's shit", "he's finished" "it's all his fault" type posts.

I get very bored of the extremely visceral criticism and the extremely passionate defensive optimism in equal measure. It doesn't shock or surprise me, it's always been like that here, but it does get tiresome. 

People need to accept that not all criticism is hate and not all praise is adoration, there's a huge big space in between for just honest critique. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm with you on that. I don't pay much attention to comments like "not PL quality" or "too slow" when he had a quick turn on him and despite this has a winner's medal and a place in a PL team of the year after making his PL debut in his 30s. It smacks of ignorance and denial, for whatever reason, on behalf of the poster.

I wish people would recognise that what made Morgan successful in the PL was a team that allowed him to play to his strengths. As fans, we should be more concerned about how our coaching staff recognises the strengths and limitations of our players and gets the best out of them, but instead we get so much scapegoating and hyperbole.

Maguire looked good against Newcastle and less good against Bournemouth. Maybe that has something to do with our pressing from the front and giving Maguire options when he was on the ball on Saturday?

19 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Last couple of games we've gotten away with it because neither Newcastle or Huddersfield have any real pace but Morgan's sloth is a problem whether people want to admit it or not. 

It's not hate, I love the guy, he's actually played reasonably well in terms of not making mistakes and commanding his space etc. 

But he was a big part of the problem at Bournemouth, whether he himself technically made mistakes or not, simply his crippling lack of pace is just a genuine obstacle as was Wasyl's in his last season. 

Maguire and Evans are no sprinters but they're still probably twice as mobile and agile as poor Wes is tbf, who he turns like an oil tanker and is comparable in speed. Makes Maguire look like a jet ski. 

It does pose problems, the others have to cover and it leaves us way short if we're playing a high line. He's still a solid defender and he's still a good influence to have on the pitch and against slower attacking teams I don't have any problem with him being picked but he's definitely got his limits now. 

Wes is a lot faster than Maguire.