Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

35 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

When it’s a choice of him and Ndidi, on today’s evidence it’s a no brainer.

It’s not quite that straightforward. 

Passing aside (92% vs 89% today), Wilf had the much better tackling and aerial showing (including 5 headers won to 0 by Mendy). However, both players reprise pretty much of the same role (interestingly neither made a key pass according to the stats) and it may be best to rotate each with a creative partner.

Edited by NaijaFox

Huddersfield will need a miracle if they are to stay up. Some of the worst defending I've ever witnessed by a Premier League club handed us our equaliser. Only one winner after that. More than easy day at the office with no bad performances today in my opinion.

It was an odd one. Good result although they looked very poor. 

Started slow......again!

The possesion football is very nice but we seem to run out of ideas when we get to the 18 yard box. We seemed a bit shot shy in the first half. 

Looked much more balanced and threatening when Gray came on.

Amartey had a great game although I don’t think i’ll ever be as relaxed with him playing as I was when Simpson was RB.

We finally have a free kick taker! 

Generally I know it’s a work in progress with Puel but it’s painfully slow progress. We seem to be inching forward rather than in giant strides. 

Happy with the 3 points but I think it’s going to be a long season for us. 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Really pleased for Iheanacho, he's had a tough start to the season given it appeared he'd get the longest run of games he's had for us. Still in that time he set up 2 and got another assist last week when Vardy was back. Add in a goal and an assist vs Fleetwood and a goal and an assist today and the man is quietly in very good nick. 

I've still no clue what our best line up is, there's little to take out of today except it's 3 points, our 3 attackers were in fine fettle and we got the job done. We are still dubious at the back and if Amartey does play then it goes against Puel's attacking full backs plan but that might not be a bad thing if it continued to cause us problems. Maguire is a good player but is he actually a great defender? We certainly don't ever look like we'll keep a run of clean sheets, it's why I think 3-4-1-2 suits us better. We have the width in the full backs, the pace at the back in Soyuncu and then Maddison behind Vardy and Iheanacho. Maybe one day.

Totally agree, Ric.  The break where Depoitre fluffed his lines shows exactly why that extra CB is needed. He ran down the gap that the "sweeper" would have been filling, and some good defending by Harry (not to give a penno away), and tangle of feet, saved us.  Amartey tucking in as RCB would be fine, and Chilly was playing LWB anyway, leaving huge gaps that more lethal teams than Huddersfield would exploit for fun.  It also helps with Harry stepping forward and leaving cover.  

I also keep saying the same as you, Madders behind Vardy and Iheanacho would be great.  Like you said, maybe one day...    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

It’s not quite that straightforward. 

Passing aside (92% vs 89% today), Wilf had the much better tackling and aerial showing (including 5 headers won to 0 by Mendy). However, both player reprise pretty much of the same role (interesting neither made a key pass according to the stats) and it may be best to rotate each with a creative partner.

And that’s why you can’t trust stats. Mendy was much better than Ndidi today and anyone who says otherwise can’t have watched the match.

Also, Ndidi had opportunities to make key passes and got a couple horribly wrong with Mendy winning the free kick for Maddison’s goal.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dayday said:

A very unconvincing 3-1 win, defence is very suspect and to much sideways football .

I can’t understand why we don’t move the ball quicker more often, when we do we look very good.

Wouldn't call it an unconvincing win at all. 

You can't continuously ping the ball around for 90 minutes, this isn't FIFA. The whole point of slowing the game down is to get a breather and take the sting out the game whilst you work your way forward. 

We played a team with 11 behind the ball for large periods of the game, you can't expect every pass to cut through their team, sideways passing is needed to create openings and tire a team out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Livid said:

Started slow......again!

The possesion football is very nice but we seem to run out of ideas when we get to the 18 yard box. We seemed a bit shot shy in the first half. 

Amartey had a great game although I don’t think i’ll ever be as relaxed with him playing as I was when Simpson was RB.

Generally I know it’s a work in progress with Puel but it’s painfully slow progress. We seem to be inching forward rather than in giant strides. 

You were relaxed when Simpson was RB?  Goodness! :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

This.

You can play possession and still score on the counter. 

The first coming from their corner, playing possession has 0 to do with that.

Third was them pushing for an equaliser and attacking us, possession football doesn't mean you keep the ball and don't attack.

Edited by UniFox21

CP isn’t going to win over everyone if he wins or loses, when he came in it was a real disappointment as we all thought we’d attract a manager with a decent pedigree a Benitez a Roberto Martinez Or even Brendan Rodgers but all we got was Claude Puel !!

He was doomed before he started really with reports from Southampton saying he’s boring his tactical knowledge was poor his game is boring, So he didn’t really stand a chance!

He inherited the Shakespeare squad of players his results weren’t very promising and seemed to live up to all the previous Puel descriptives then he had his chance to bring in his own players which he spent over £100m bringing in what looked like some pretty decent talent he’s sent a player to Celtic who looks pretty decent and is a big hit with their fans with his displays then he continued to stick with the same team playing the likes of Morgan  instead of for example Soyuncu who can’t seem to get a game for love nor money he may get to play against Wolves in the cup Tuesday night we’ll see?

After listening to all the negativity when he was appointed I was one who thought let’s give him a go see what he can do with our Team you never know?

But he hasn’t really set the world alight or even helped himself with his suspect at times team choices formations or tactics his substitutions, I can see sometimes where he wants to go with formations team choices etc but it’s not really working most times it’s like we’re still half asleep for most of the first half only to wake up about 47 minutes in new there’s the continued reports about discontent in the playing staff about to mutiny ?

I for one really wanted to give him a chance but each game it’s almost a sharp I take of breath thinking really that formation that selection why what where ?

We don’t know how long he’s got left with us but he comes over as a really nice bloke and I really do hope he pulls things together get us clicking together playing well week in week out!

But as long as he is the manager of our great club I’ll be cheering him hoping he gets it right for us !!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS !! ?

42 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

People seem incapable of understanding that you can be a possession based side that can still use the counter attack when the opportunity arises. 

Even Guardiola talks about the best time to attack is when the opponent is attacking. People just want to moan. 

46 minutes ago, Stan said:

I’ve seen a few comments suggesting that Mendy kept giving the ball away.

Certainly not what I saw - his passing completion looked very good.

Is there a statto around to nail this?

He succeeded 93% of his passes.
That's the highest of the game(except for Albrighton and Okazaki who played someting like 5 minutes).
Some people are seriously deranged, biased or desperately want to push their agenda.

Clipboard03.thumb.jpg.efac8b91c10dd3409fbfcae1311147e1.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Livid said:

Started slow......again!

That's the whole point, prgoress takes time. If it was easy every team would be doing it.

man City 2 to 3 years. Liverpool 3 years, Utd, and Spurs 5 years and still trying. It's a Marathon not a sprint. 

Keep the Faith and enjoy the ups and downs. It's what makes success so much sweeter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yks said:

He succeeded 93% of his passes.
That's the highest of the game(except for Albrighton and Okazaki who played someting like 5 minutes).
Some people are seriously deranged, biased or desperately want to push their agenda.

Clipboard03.thumb.jpg.efac8b91c10dd3409fbfcae1311147e1.jpg

what website is that from? Er.... Whoscored.  Learn to read Houston... 

Edited by HoustonFox
I am an idiot...

29 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

And that’s why you can’t trust stats. Mendy was much better than Ndidi today and anyone who says otherwise can’t have watched the match.

Also, Ndidi had opportunities to make key passes and got a couple horribly wrong with Mendy winning the free kick for Maddison’s goal.

Not sure we are disagreeing on that (albeit “much better” is a tad bit hyperbolic) as I pointed same out to the poster criticizing Mendy earlier.

Nonetheless, both bring different attributes to the game (even though they seem to reprise same role) and I personally think that many on FT have now become  pre-conditioned to exaggerating Wilf’s errant passing (not that he helps his own case, but in reality it’s barely a couple per game), particularly given that he often gets the most touches per game (and in today’s game, tried more passes than Mendy), and seemingly takes his other attributes for granted (when as the stats show, passing aside Mendy shows little of none of those attributes in the same measure). Accordingly, while some may moan about Wilf in “general play”, suffice it to note that we would probably see considerably less of said general play without him. Just saying.

Edited by NaijaFox