Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Maddison named in England squad

The best thing about this is that I think, Big Harry’s England inclusion was a factor on James’s mind when he signed it showed you CAN get onto the international stage here and he was right to come here, now moving forward that’s momentum in the eyes of new potential signings as well.  We are on the up ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

He's taken on the Peter Crouch mantle. Regardless of how poor he plays for his club, pulls out goals when needed for the national side.

:huh: No he doesn’t. 

Hes scored 16 goals in 42 games. Not sure when or how he’s scored goals when ‘needed’.

2012:

1 goal against Belguim in a friendly 

1 goal against Sweden at Euro 2012

2 goals against San Marino in a WC qualifier 

1 goal against Sweden in a friendly 

2013:

1 goal against Scotland in a friendly 

2 goals against Moldova in a WC qualifier 

2014:

2 goals against Switzerland in a Euro qualifier

1 goal against San Marino in a Euro qualifier

2 goals against Slovenia in a Euro qualifier 

2015: 

1 goal against Lithuania in a Euro qualifier 

2017: 

1 goal against Malta in a WC qualifier 

2018:

1 goal against Costa Rica in a friendly 

• Like 1

The England picks this time are a bit odd but Southgate took us to the semi finals for the first time since 1990 and had Harry Kane gobbled up a chance that he'd usually bury (or just pass it) we could have well got to the final. Might have been an "easy" route but it was certainly a lot better than 2014 and 2016 performances.

He knows a lot of the U21 players and is probably thinking about his team for 2020 (and beyond) already. So I think he's allowed a few crazy picks just to experiment with if he wants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

I honestly think this is a bit too early, his input so far from open play has been relatively limited. The talent is there, so long as he's embraced in the camp and given time then fine. But if it's one call up and then bombed out again if he has a quiet game I don't see the point.

I reckon Southgate,is just testing the Water...good game,no game,poor game....All the young players being blooded for senior level.

it's the Nation leagues games...time for youth being asked the question..Then who breaks through for the big games/tournament.

Looks like Southgate (at last) is being clever.He's seen and I believe is happy with Chilwell,so throwing a couple more  ideas around.

Richly deserved for Maddison, I've been very impressed and i don't see many better players in that position.

I reckon Chilwell has been sent with the U21s if they're playing so that he'll get games, Danny Rose is in good form and the lack of a back-up left back actually gives me confidence that Chilwell might be second choice.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We badly need Foden to get some first team football and get him in the squad.

Didn’t Puel want to sign him in January as part of the Mahrez deal (think an ITK mentioned it). Why not throw a huge chunk of money at Foden and Man City. He’s never getting into the Man City team imo, so why not test his loyalty... He might put in a transfer request like Sancho if we offered him guaranteed game time.

Imagine Foden, Barnes & Maddison as the three behind Vardy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ross-Kemp said:

:huh: No he doesn’t. 

Hes scored 16 goals in 42 games. Not sure when or how he’s scored goals when ‘needed’.

2012:

1 goal against Belguim in a friendly 

1 goal against Sweden at Euro 2012

2 goals against San Marino in a WC qualifier 

1 goal against Sweden in a friendly 

2013:

1 goal against Scotland in a friendly 

2 goals against Moldova in a WC qualifier 

2014:

2 goals against Switzerland in a Euro qualifier

1 goal against San Marino in a Euro qualifier

2 goals against Slovenia in a Euro qualifier 

2015: 

1 goal against Lithuania in a Euro qualifier 

2017: 

1 goal against Malta in a WC qualifier 

2018:

1 goal against Costa Rica in a friendly 

You obviously feel very strongly about this.

• Haha 2

Much as I love to see Leicester City players representing England, and I'm really pleased for Maddison, Chilwell, Vardy, Maguire and Gray have all been recently selected, for me it just seems so easy to get an England cap these days. And this is a good example!

12 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Glad to see Danny Welbeck in the squad. Been putting in some huge performances for Arsenal reserves. Probably.

All you need it to play 3 to 6 matches well in the Premier League, and be English qualified, and you are an England International. Many really don't deserve to be picked, not because they don't have talent, but because they are just not ready, or do not have enough top league game time for International football.

And at such a young age, it can have a detrimental effect by going to their heads. They think they are Billy big bo**oks just because they are now international players, and are then only good enough for Barcelona. I hope that doesn't happen to our young players and they remain grounded.

But it says a lot to potential signings that you can, and will, be picked for International football if you come to Leicester City, and that must be a really good thing for the club's future, even more so being that Puel gives a lot of game time to young players.

No doubt he will soon be installed with Southgates' fabled philosophy of "not wanting to score every time you attack".

Can't help but think that an England call up generally ruins players and gives them that elevated sense of self importance. All good though, at least it will inflate his price to unrealistic new heights when the bigger clubs scramble around for the crumbs of English talent on the market.  

• Haha 1

I don't really see much chance of him getting game time, no more than 10 minutes at the end anyway, but good experience for him.

I do think he will be an international player and I'm pleased for him but its not really hard for a young player to get a senior call up at the minute.

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't really see much chance of him getting game time, no more than 10 minutes at the end anyway, but good experience for him.

I do think he will be an international player and I'm pleased for him but its not really hard for a young player to get a senior call up at the minute.

With no Alli and Lingard, I think he’ll start one of these two matches.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

With no Alli and Lingard, I think he’ll start one of these two matches.

To be honest, I hadn't even noticed they weren't there. He definitely has more of a chance than I thought.

Midfield is woeful. Going to be in a position again where we have too many attacking midfielders on the pitch and no balance.

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

Much as I love to see Leicester City players representing England, and I'm really pleased for Maddison, Chilwell, Vardy, Maguire and Gray have all been recently selected, for me it just seems so easy to get an England cap these days. And this is a good example!

All you need it to play 3 to 6 matches well in the Premier League, and be English qualified, and you are an England International. Many really don't deserve to be picked, not because they don't have talent, but because they are just not ready, or do not have enough top league game time for International football.

And at such a young age, it can have a detrimental effect by going to their heads. They think they are Billy big bo**oks just because they are now international players, and are then only good enough for Barcelona. I hope that doesn't happen to our young players and they remain grounded.

But it says a lot to potential signings that you can, and will, be picked for International football if you come to Leicester City, and that must be a really good thing for the club's future, even more so being that Puel gives a lot of game time to young players.

England badly need a creative midfield player hence the three young players with similar qualities have been picked. 

I am a big advocate of making sure that players picked by England have 50 PL games at least under their belt. However on a purely statistically basis Maddison and Sancho his stats are off the scale in comparison to other Englishmen. 

On a separate note, interested to see the mention of how Appleton strongly backed the signing of Maddison. It tallies with another story I was told. I am not going to bother saying it because it will be criticised as another Rudkin bashing session. 

19 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

To be honest, I hadn't even noticed they weren't there. He definitely has more of a chance than I thought.

Midfield is woeful. Going to be in a position again where we have too many attacking midfielders on the pitch and no balance.

Yeah, there's a real lack of central midfielders coming through for England. I'm surprised he hasn't risked Foden even though he's barely played yet.