Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Croatia v England Nations League Group A4

1 hour ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Am I right in thinking Chillers will start against Spain as well? This has fallen really nicely for him, it wasn't so long ago he was complaining about playing time.

What is truly remarkable is seeing Southgate's commitment to youth at precisely the same time that LCFC are pushing in the same direction.

It's adding millions onto our squad value...

Only LB in the squad so he'll start and GS was full of praise for him post match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

I think to start for England as an attacking player you have to playing and scoring/assisting for your club regularly. Rashford is not and it shows in those vital moments.

I sort of get why he did it, but watching Henderson and Dier together is so frustrating. One does little and the other works hard, but gives it away and spends most of the game morning at the ref.

Gomez for Stones, Winks for Henderson, Sancho for Rashord and Maddison for Barkley on Monday please.

The Rashford love in,has to be put on the side for awhile...He's still young..he will comeback.He's not cutting it at the moment,take him for the

Squad by all means.

Rashford and sterling may not be scoring but they do have the capability and they can play the pressing and speed game that Southgate wants. Kane is a scorer but he'll only ever score from a set piece against all but poor international teams because he lacks the pace to play our game. His pressing is painfully poor and costs the team all the effort they put in.

I'm surprised that Henderson is getting more grief than Barkley. Henderson presses the ball well for a fatty, he has good vision and can make a pass. Barkley was slow, poor and gave the ball away by trying silly short passes to players who were under pressure. Dier is just slow mentally and physically and a chief reason I don't like stubborn southgate.

The defence by and large were decent given the positions that the midfield kept passing the ball back to them.

Maddison should have been on for Barkley.

I hope the red top journalists realise that most of Maguires dodgy moments came from dealing with being dropped in it by Diers Dire back passes. Dier has this hot potato attitude to the ball and the opposition know this and press him early. His appearances in the world cup looked like those moments when a businessman gets ten minutes in a testimonial alongside pro players in return for a donation, everyone else has a certain touch and tempo, it comes to him and it's bombscare time, anything could happen...and usually does. There were a few complainees on the pitch and hopefully it continues to the dressing room and gets sorted, some of his balls are borderline hospital balls, unnecessarily delayed and poorly weighted, at some point someone has to say to him,"Dier, if you don't want the ball why don't you **** off and take up another sport".

it was a little tougher in a two for Maguire, you have to be careful when you come out wide as cover is further away, there's one less obvious passing option and when your partner Stones is another who likes to carry the ball out you're at risk of completely vacating that CB area, so to come away with a clean sheet is admirable. He will lose it now and again but what do we do, return to hoof ball, hit and hope stuff?

For Spain:

Pickford

Walker/Trippier (close call)

Gomez

Maguire

Chilly

Mount

Chalobah

Maddison

Sancho

Kane

Sterling

If we can sort out our midfield we’ll actually have a decent side. Hence why I think we give Mount and Chalobah a go - we’re not necessarily building for now (I don’t care if we lose to Spain), we’re building for 2020 so these guys have 2 years to improve.

I can’t stand watching Henderson and Dier, and I feel that the midfield would have a better balance with the two young lads.

29 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

I hope the red top journalists realise that most of Maguires dodgy moments came from dealing with being dropped in it by Diers Dire back passes. Dier has this hot potato attitude to the ball and the opposition know this and press him early. His appearances in the world cup looked like those moments when a businessman gets ten minutes in a testimonial alongside pro players in return for a donation, everyone else has a certain touch and tempo, it comes to him and it's bombscare time, anything could happen...and usually does. There were a few complainees on the pitch and hopefully it continues to the dressing room and gets sorted, some of his balls are borderline hospital balls, unnecessarily delayed and poorly weighted, at some point someone has to say to him,"Dier, if you don't want the ball why don't you **** off and take up another sport".

it was a little tougher in a two for Maguire, you have to be careful when you come out wide as cover is further away, there's one less obvious passing option and when your partner Stones is another who likes to carry the ball out you're at risk of completely vacating that CB area, so to come away with a clean sheet is admirable. He will lose it now and again but what do we do, return to hoof ball, hit and hope stuff?

I just don’t get the Dier thing at all really. He’s sort of played like our version of a Mascherano (when he was younger) but Dier just isn’t particularly good. If we are to play this holding midfielder, like a fulcrum to the side, we need a better one imo to be able to genuinely challenge for international honours. We don’t have one though, I guess.

I think Southgate sees Dier like himself to be honest. And Southgate was always nothing special as a player.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I just don’t get the Dier thing at all really. He’s sort of played like our version of a Mascherano (when he was younger) but Dier just isn’t particularly good. If we are to play this holding midfielder, like a fulcrum to the side, we need a better one imo to be able to genuinely challenge for international honours. We don’t have one though, I guess.

I think Southgate sees Dier like himself to be honest. And Southgate was always nothing special as a player.

can you edit it to add... “or manager.” on to end please!

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Rashford and sterling may not be scoring but they do have the capability and they can play the pressing and speed game that Southgate wants. Kane is a scorer but he'll only ever score from a set piece against all but poor international teams because he lacks the pace to play our game. His pressing is painfully poor and costs the team all the effort they put in.

I'm surprised that Henderson is getting more grief than Barkley. Henderson presses the ball well for a fatty, he has good vision and can make a pass. Barkley was slow, poor and gave the ball away by trying silly short passes to players who were under pressure. Dier is just slow mentally and physically and a chief reason I don't like stubborn southgate.

The defence by and large were decent given the positions that the midfield kept passing the ball back to them.

Maddison should have been on for Barkley.

Hendo is massively overrated. I don’t see a midfielder with vision, I see one who likes a wall pass, a sideways or backwards pass and an occasional long boom across the pitch but certainly he has less creativity than for example his centre backs Maguire and Stones. Him, Dier and pass stat obsessive Barkley (89% pass completion with virtually none to his strikers) were a shocking combination from a creativity perspective. Croatia weren’t great last night but these three and Southgate meant that a 0-0 was always likely. 

52 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Hendo is massively overrated. I don’t see a midfielder with vision, I see one who likes a wall pass, a sideways or backwards pass and an occasional long boom across the pitch but certainly he has less creativity than for example his centre backs Maguire and Stones. Him, Dier and pass stat obsessive Barkley (89% pass completion with virtually none to his strikers) were a shocking combination from a creativity perspective. Croatia weren’t great last night but these three and Southgate meant that a 0-0 was always likely. 

I like Hendo..but in an England shirt he has too many avg games...not enough top games!!!

2 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Like posters on here...many forget his important tackles/interceptions...

He was regularly given hospital-passes....

3 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Maguire isn’t good enough in a back four for international football. I’ll get slated for that but I think he gets exposed for a lack of pace much more when he plays in a back four. He’s also less able to do the part of the game that he’s best at which is get on the ball, create space and move forward with it. 

Its beggars belief that Southgate has decided to drop this formation, if he continues with 4-3-3 now then you watch Stones and Gomez become the centre back pairing after some fairly ordinary performances from Maguire. The media will pick up on it as well. It’s a shame as 4-3-3 will also limit the chances of Maddison too and I was very keen to see Chilwell as a wing back as I’m convinced in that role he’ll become lethal for club and country.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I like Hendo..but in an England shirt he has too many avg games...not enough top games!!!

He ‘does a job’ at club level (though he’s slowly being replaced at Liverpool) but he isn’t good enough to be playing for England. Southgate is obsessed with mechanical centre midfielders, Hendo hasn’t really got any stand out qualities and no real creativity but he holds a shape and runs around a lot so he ticks the box for Southgate. England have absolutely no goal threat and no assist threat from him.

Edited by funkyrobot

10 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

For Spain:

Pickford

Walker/Trippier (close call)

Gomez

Maguire

Chilly

Mount

Chalobah

Maddison

Sancho

Kane

Sterling

If we can sort out our midfield we’ll actually have a decent side. Hence why I think we give Mount and Chalobah a go - we’re not necessarily building for now (I don’t care if we lose to Spain), we’re building for 2020 so these guys have 2 years to improve.

I can’t stand watching Henderson and Dier, and I feel that the midfield would have a better balance with the two young lads.

We'd have about 10% of the balll against Spain with that midfield three, one of Mount or Maddison could perhaps play but definitely not both. Henderson/Dier, Winks and Maddison would be a bit better balanced 

22 hours ago, Koke said:

Why was Maguire a 5? Did he play badly, I didn't watch the game. How did he do?

I thought he looked dodgy, unforced errors, some poor positioning, some poor reading of the game. Probably his worst in an England shirt. 

Personally like to see Maguire rested for this one. He's played a lot of football in the last 12 months with little time out and is looking a bit jaded. Really don't need him to play in this largely meaningless competition. Tired players are more likely to get injured and we need him more than England.

Just now, reynard said:

Personally like to see Maguire rested for this one. He's played a lot of football in the last 12 months with little time out and is looking a bit jaded. Really don't need him to play in this largely meaningless competition. Tired players are more likely to get injured and we need him more than England.

Couldn't agree more my friend.  I will be slightly annoyed if he plays the full90!!