Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window Thoughts & Rumours

4 minutes ago, Burgh foxes said:

Leicester city are not planning to sign any new players in the January transfer window ,puel is happy with the squad .bbc sport 

Which loosely  translates to ... I’ve got too many shit, average or aging players on stupidly high wages that I can’t get rid off to make room for new ones 

• Like 4

we will be making no major signings in Jan.

Harvey will be at West Brom for the season.

wait for the summer lads, we need a few things, but this seasons squad is what it is.

15 minutes ago, Burgh foxes said:

Leicester city are not planning to sign any new players in the January transfer window ,puel is happy with the squad .bbc sport 

What they say to the media has little relationship to what they do.

49 minutes ago, FIF said:

What they say to the media has little relationship to what they do.

I always think back to the Championship when Pearson was asked - around this time of year actually - if there would be any signings and he openly said no.

Two weeks later and Chris Wood was signing on January 1st.

Even if we genuinely have no intentions of signing anyone this January we'll still have a list of targets we'll explore, monitor the situation with others, and if an opportunity arises we'll take it. To say yes/no with any certainty at this point is impossible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xen said:

I always think back to the Championship when Pearson was asked - around this time of year actually - if there would be any signings and he openly said no.

Two weeks later and Chris Wood was signing on January 1st.

Even if we genuinely have no intentions of signing anyone this January we'll still have a list of targets we'll explore, monitor the situation with others, and if an opportunity arises we'll take it. To say yes/no with any certainty at this point is impossible.

I hope this is the case here and Puel is trying to keep asking prices down because if anything we desperately need a new striker and soon.

• Like 1

Claude better be playing his cards close to the vest. Since late September, we have been one of the absolute worst Premier league teams at scoring the ball.

How bad are we? We went off the rails 12 games ago. Let's compare our performance to the bottom-half of the table over the same number of games:

2.25     West Ham (one outlier game distorts this some, still would be 1.7+ if that result is removed)

1.16     Brighton

1.083   Cardiff

1.083   Burnley

1.0       Watford

1.0       Palace 

.916     Fulham

.833     Newcastle

.833     Leicester

.66       Huddersfield

.66       Southampton

Over that period of time, only 3 of the 12 teams we played were top-9 (that is, equal to or ahead of us in the table as it stands 12/12/18, all references to the table are as of that date). If you remove the games against the three teams ahead of us in the table, our average actually gets WORSE: 

In those nine games against the bottom 11 teams, we averaged .77 goals per game

That is the sort of scoring that gets you relegated. And you don't even want to look at our open play scoring numbers, they are too disgusting to even post. 

So yeah, I'm a fan of Puel, I think he knows what he is doing, but we need players who can score, and we need them early in the January window. No more pretending things are ok bc we are playing teams in a relegation scrap that cannot score either. 8 of our next 12 are against teams ahead of us in the table, we are going to see a lot of 2-0, 3-0, 4-1 unless we can figure out a way to start scoring.

Get some scorers in Claude. While you're at it, sniff around for a DM who can handle the ball, we simply cannot play two DMs who struggle with the ball at their feet.

19 minutes ago, vanity said:

Claude better be playing his cards close to the vest. Since late September, we have been one of the absolute worst Premier league teams at scoring the ball.

How bad are we? We went off the rails 12 games ago. Let's compare our performance to the bottom-half of the table over the same number of games:

2.25     West Ham (one outlier game distorts this some, still would be 1.7+ if that result is removed)

1.16     Brighton

1.083   Cardiff

1.083   Burnley

1.0       Watford

1.0       Palace 

.916     Fulham

.833     Newcastle

.833     Leicester

.66       Huddersfield

.66       Southampton

Over that period of time, only 3 of the 12 teams we played were top-9 (that is, equal to or ahead of us in the table as it stands 12/12/18, all references to the table are as of that date). If you remove the games against the three teams ahead of us in the table, our average actually gets WORSE: 

In those nine games against the bottom 11 teams, we averaged .77 goals per game

That is the sort of scoring that gets you relegated. And you don't even want to look at our open play scoring numbers, they are too disgusting to even post. 

So yeah, I'm a fan of Puel, I think he knows what he is doing, but we need players who can score, and we need them early in the January window. No more pretending things are ok bc we are playing teams in a relegation scrap that cannot score either. 8 of our next 12 are against teams ahead of us in the table, we are going to see a lot of 2-0, 3-0, 4-1 unless we can figure out a way to start scoring.

Get some scorers in Claude. While you're at it, sniff around for a DM who can handle the ball, we simply cannot play two DMs who struggle with the ball at their feet.

You say this is the sort of scoring form that gets you relegated, but that's only true if you're also shipping goals at the other end. I've not checked the stats on that but I'm fairly confident that we're up there amongst the best on that front. We're getting close to the half way point and sitting top half. I get the point, I think we all accept that we need some reinforcement up front for Vardy but even if we don't I don't think we're going to be embroiled in a relegation battle come end of season.

5 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

You say this is the sort of scoring form that gets you relegated, but that's only true if you're also shipping goals at the other end. I've not checked the stats on that but I'm fairly confident that we're up there amongst the best on that front. We're getting close to the half way point and sitting top half. I get the point, I think we all accept that we need some reinforcement up front for Vardy but even if we don't I don't think we're going to be embroiled in a relegation battle come end of season.

I don't disagree. My point making the post was (a) our attack is one of the worst in the league, comparable to teams facing a relegation scrap, so (b) I really hope Claude doesn't believe what he is selling to the press, as we are in dire need of scoring. I don't see how we can get relegated, the math really doesn't make sense unless something drastic happens, like Vardy goes out for the season followed by Maddison getting hurt.

Interestingly, over that 12 game stretch we have allowed .833 goals per game, same as we have scored. Overall, we are on pace for 52.5 points this season -- Burnley got Europe with 54 last season -- we are on pace for 49.875 goals this season (-6.125 from the 56 we scored last season), and we are on pace to allow 47.5 (an outstanding +12.5 over the 60 we allowed last season), leaving us a projected +2.375 goal differential.

So I suppose our attack is as bad as our defense is great? Roughly anyhow.

Though we may be living off a strong start to some extent, having won 4 of our first 7 league matches thanks to playing some poor teams early (19th place Southampton, 18th place Huddersfield, and 15th place Newcastle, table as of 12/12) + enjoying some good fortune vs. Wolves. Our schedule hasn't been difficult since then, but after we have only won 2 of 9 despite our outstanding defense. Now we are looking at a ferocious stretch of games, and our defense will be hard-pressed to keep the elite of our league at bay. It is likely we will be lurking somewhere around 11-13th in the table come mid-February, at which point we have a good run of games against beatable teams. Even if we fail to add players, we should make a good run after the second Tottenham game. But if we were to add two capable players -- a striker and an AM would be my preference -- we could very quickly stack some points and find ourselves thrust right back into the thick of it for Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80's fox said:

Sorry posted this is transfer talk but probably better in this thread.. 

Leicester transfer targets ahead of the transfer window. Here's 40+ options to have a look at...

Thoughts?
https://t.co/hKAFa2d312

I think your list is great. As for this January, obv we tend to prefer young with huge upside, but IDK if that is what we need here. I'd love to see a big target man w a bit of speed, perhaps someone  in his early 30s on the downside who can still score with his head, then we go ahead and sell 3-4 players who aren't playing and use that $$ to activate Brais Mendez's release clause, might be able to keep it net neutral. Or we could spend a bit and consider the future, perhaps look at a player like Yahice Brahimi (Porto, out of contract this summer, looking to move to the Prem), or maybe get involved in the Tonny Vilhena bidding (a deep-lying MF playmaker we could slot in with either Ndidi or Mendy who makes terrific deep runs, is creative, and would solve our woeful no-dribble midfield, Feyenoord may wind up taking around 12-20 mill for him, said to be demanding at least a bid of 10 mill).

I'm sure it's a pipe dream, but I'd love to see us make a run at Mousa Dembele in January, he is out of contract this summer, 31 years old, and looking at China, perhaps he could do a bit more in the Prem, maybe another two seasons on top of finishing this one out, esp as Spurs don't want him back and IDK if another top-6 Prem side is going to give meaningful minutes to him. We could give him 20-30 minutes late in games at first, let that ankle get as right as it's going to be, I bet he'd be worth 6-8 points at the end of the season. We'd have to manage his minutes, but he'd give us even more of a late game edge, and seeing as how we play so many one goal games, he might be worth investigating. While we are unlikely to move for Dembele, I do think we could do with another older player or two like him, this squad could really use some veteran winners who still have something in the tank, and as it seems the top-6 discard these sorts of players regularly when the new hot young players get signed, I'd like to see us leveraging our position in that next cut of teams to snag a couple contributors who can teach our young lads about performing the full 90 week in, week out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We will need to do something pretty quickly about strikers in January. Shinji is likely to playing in the Asian Cup from the first week of January until the possible maximum of the 1st week in February 

Fear not!!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-shinji-okazaki-left-2320127

• Like 1

A very good player that is probably attainable is Denis Suarez. He isn't playing for Barcelona, was great at Villareal and Sevilla. Usually a central midfielder or a winger. However I'm not sure he would fit into a midfield double pivot that Puel plays religiously. It would be nice to actually have a midfielder who is good on the ball.

• Like 3