Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

9 minutes ago, smr said:

I've not seen the video. But the drone theory does keep crossing my mind now and then. On Saturday my Dad couldn't get into 1-6 with his umbrella so he had to walk around the stadium and put it in the belongings bit (which I believe is on the corner of the stadium where the crash site was). So after the game he went to collect it, walking left outside of 1-6 when normally he'd go past the club shop with me. When walking around he says he saw a policeman and a woman, who must also have been something to do with the police, one of them operating a drone. They'd marked out a square on the ground for the drone to land in, which it missed by a foot or so, the woman put it back in the square...but he says that it didn't sit right with him that these were flying over where people would be walking, they must weigh a tonne. Whether the drone went back up who knows? Officially they've said there weren't any but what if they were having practice goes or whatever unofficially?

Flying a drone at 400ft I guess possible. But the chances of it coming into contact would be very slim. I couldn't see the helicopter sucking in the drone and I'm guessing it would just smash it to bits.

I saw a police car in the EON car park with the same police man and a woman practising flying a drone. They were flying it above the road when people were walking out. You could clearly see it was a drone, had green and red lights on the end of the feet where the rotors are. Clearly practicing, imo. That was pretty much right after the game, probably 7.30pm. 

Absolutely no idea if it would have carried on or if they'd have moved nearer the ground. Quite probable.

3 minutes ago, blueharmie said:

Flying a drone at 400ft I guess possible. But the chances of it coming into contact would be very slim. I couldn't see the helicopter sucking in the drone and I'm guessing it would just smash it to bits.

It was pretty big in terms of drones - I'd imagine a police drone is going to have a fairly high end camera on board. I think if it would hit a tail rotor it'd probably do a fair bit of damage. 

The police use E.ON’s grass area to fly the drone. They use it because it’s within the height limit (50ft or meters) to fly it.

I know this first hand from dealing with them and communicating with them. 

If a drone was involved, it wasn’t Leicestershire polices.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34256680

7 minutes ago, Ross-Kemp said:

The police use E.ON’s grass area to fly the drone. They use it because it’s within the height limit (50ft or meters) to fly it.

I know this first hand from dealing with them and communicating with them. 

If a drone was involved, it wasn’t Leicestershire polices.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Hearing Taggart's recollections of the story and how he avoided the site at that specific time pulls at the heart strings. And then when he breaks off and you can hear him sobbing after he mentions his own sons :( 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Ouch, that's hurt. Harrowing.

1 hour ago, Clarkielcfc said:

Wow that Ian stringer video hurt ??

I thought I’d started to go numb to the emotions of it but the tears came flooding straight in. Credit to stringer because it really has been awful and Taggert did brilliantly too. 

30 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Thanks for sharing. I don't live locally any more so hadn't heard any of the Radio Leicester coverage - I've been moved to tears by that video and it just reaffirms what the man meant to so many significant club figures.

Huge credit to Ian Stringer for how he's handled himself over the past few days.

It’s why I felt the need to share really. I’ve been glued to the forum for all the news and hadn’t thought about radio Leicester. It’s a lot more personal and reflects the feelings of the community better I feel. 

The fact we are all still so hurt and broken is such a testament to what a man Vichai really was and a shining example of what people really should strive to be. I’m just totally devastated and I don’t really know how I’d deal with it if it wasn’t for everyone on here and for this forum. 

• Like 1

AgustaWestland (branded as Leonardo Helicopters since January 2016)[2] was a helicopter design and manufacturing company.[3] It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. (previously Finmeccanica).[4] It was formed in July 2000 as an Anglo-Italian[5] multinational company, when Finmeccanica and GKN merged their respective helicopter subsidiaries (Agusta and Westland Helicopters) to form AgustaWestland,[6] with each holding a 50% share. Finmeccanica acquired GKN's stake in AgustaWestland in 2004.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The BBC footage of the helicopter taking off and last seen spinning around at the end of the video makes me feel ill, let alone others viewing the actual crash via other footage..

Absolutely tragically a case of terrible bad luck.

thats basically the same footage minus 3 seconds where it goes out of view of the stadium

the other video didnt show the crash

it was videoed inside the stadium

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Thanks 1

Forgive me if it's already been raised at some point in the thread (as much as ive tried to read as much of it all) 

Did anyone else always feel incredibly uneasy when the match ball was delivered by helicopter on remeberance day fixtures? 

Obviously we never see the owners helicopter take off live but i always got terrible visions of how badly it could have gone. They just never look safe and especially not around 30,000 people in that proximity.

Reading that helicopter thread about "special monoveurs" being needed to get out of such a confined space only emphasise this. 

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Forgive me if it's already been raised at some point in the thread (as much as ive tried to read as much of it all) 

Did anyone else always feel incredibly uneasy when the match ball was delivered by helicopter on remeberance day fixtures? 

Obviously we never see the owners helicopter take off live but i always got terrible visions of how badly it could have gone. They just never look safe and especially not around 30,000 people in that proximity.

Reading that helicopter thread about "special monoveurs" being needed to get out of such a confined space only emphasise this. 

Yes. I always did. So much so, I stayed in the concourse on one occasion.

And to think I have to fill out risk assessments at work for the most menial of tasks

3 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Yeah I always felt on edge whenever the helicopter arrived, especially when he did a 360 to wave at the crowd 

11 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I also did. I said every time we did it. 

38 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

No, never. Been in the ground when it both arrives and departs, never concerned me. Now, have I had concerns on the M40, you bet. Helicopters are safe, go to an airshow and watch a Chinook get chucked around the sky in front of  100,000 people. This was simply a freak accident. Next you'll be telling me you cant stand on a railway platform - trains have killed moe people in the last 50 years I'd suggest.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

No, never. Been in the ground when it both arrives and departs, never concerned me. Now, have I had concerns on the M40, you bet. Helicopters are safe, go to an airshow and watch a Chinook get chucked around the sky in front of  100,000 people. This was simply a freak accident. Next you'll be telling me you cant stand on a railway platform - trains have killed moe people in the last 50 years I'd suggest.

I can only agree. Helicopter crashes/accidents are very rare. They are operated by very highly trained professionals. Saturdays incident was almost certainly an electrical/mechanical failure, which again are rare because the people servicing the equipment work under rigourous servicing schedules. Accidents and incidents happen, that’s the way of the world. However the chances are, flying into a football stadium is probably simple compared to other things they’ve done in their careers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

I can only agree. Helicopter crashes/accidents are very rare. They are operated by very highly trained professionals. Saturdays incident was almost certainly an electrical/mechanical failure, which again are rare because the people servicing the equipment work under rigourous servicing schedules. Accidents and incidents happen, that’s the way of the world. However the chances are, flying into a football stadium is probably simple compared to other things they’ve done in their careers. 

Nice thought mate but anyone can learn to fly if you have the money and determination. I got my private pilot license with less than 40 hours flying, albeit in a fixed wing.

If was young enough, I am sure I could learn to fly a helicopter fairly quickly.

Would I be a highly trained professional? Absolutely not!

PS Oh and as to your view of servicing, I had a couple of radio failure issues and once had to declare and emergency because the engine started to splutter at 3000 feet at night. Doesn't inspire mush confidence at general aviation servicing.

Edited by Smudge

56 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Nice thought mate but anyone can learn to fly if you have the money and determination. I got my private pilot license with less than 40 hours flying, albeit in a fixed wing.

If was young enough, I am sure I could learn to fly a helicopter fairly quickly.

Would I be a highly trained professional? Absolutely not!

PS Oh and as to your view of servicing, I had a couple of radio failure issues and once had to declare and emergency because the engine started to splutter at 3000 feet at night. Doesn't inspire mush confidence at general aviation servicing.

I understand what you’re saying, completely. Anyone can fly given you have the aptitude to learn and the funding for it. But they were professionals, they were doing it professionally, not as a hobby. 

Yes, the aircraft you flew in was probably owned by a flying school or hired through a profit making company. 

I can’t say these are facts, but you’d imagine the company contracted to carry out the servicing on the two helicopters owned were professional technicians. 

I wasn’t commenting without knowledge of the aviation industry, as were you. But this wasn’t a dated, private hire aircraft, maintained at the cost of a small company for a casual, inexperienced pilot. 

It was a new, multi-million pound piece of equipment, most likely maintained by the manufacturer. The pilot had 20 years flying experience, he was an instructor and examiner. 

You’re obviously right that it isn’t always the case, however in this instance it was.

edit: wasn’t commenting without knowledge of the aviation industry. @Smudge 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I understand what you’re saying, completely. Anyone can fly given you have the aptitude to learn and the funding for it. But they were professionals, they were doing it professionally, not as a hobby. 

Yes, the aircraft you flew in was probably owned by a flying school or hired through a profit making company. 

I can’t say these are facts, but you’d imagine the company contracted to carry out the servicing on the two helicopters owned were professional technicians. 

I wasn’t commenting without knowledge of the aviation industry, as were you. But this wasn’t a dated, private hire aircraft, maintained at the cost of a small company for a casual, inexperienced pilot. 

It was a new, multi-million pound piece of equipment, most likely maintained by the manufacturer. The pilot had 20 years flying experience, he was an instructor and examiner. 

You’re obviously right that it isn’t always the case, however in this instance it was.

edit: wasn’t commenting without knowledge of the aviation industry. @Smudge 

I realize that now, sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveherbe said:

I'm only staying how I've felt. Seems others agree with me too. 

No doubt this is a freak accident. I think my fears have always been the nature of the take off in such a proximity, it never felt like there was enough room if anything was to go wrong. Maybe just not worth the risk. 

On that forum with people much more qualified to talk about helicopters they are describing it as a perfectly normal to take off the way he did because of the "confined space". That doesn't sound to me like a safe environment for 32,000 onlookers. 

• Like 1