Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Roy Hodgson 9 - 0 Claude Puel AKA Palace Post Match Thread.

Just now, jim5000 said:

I think Puel definetly has a 'system first, players second' approach to managing the team. He wants to play a certain way and despite not having the players to do it, insists that the formation comes first rather than evolving the tactics to suit our players and blend them with his style.

Which is fine if the system is actually going to be successful eventually, you have the resources to implement it and the manager can coach it exceptionally. These conditions might exist at Man City, Chelsea and a few other select clubs but it’s not true here.

We don’t look well drilled up front, if we were better we wouldn’t end up in situations where we cross so often with so few players in the box. We struggle to create centrally so we go wide which is natural but the movement and direction doesn’t look cohesive 

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Don't think it was as bad a people are making out, I've seen us play a lot worse and win.

So you're saying it could get worse? Probably right with the upcoming fixture list.

Our unbeaten run flattered us more than the performances did, and why do we play two defensive midfielders against relegation threatened teams? How bad does Puel really think Silva is that he can't get in the team against the bottom clubs in the league when we're crying out for creativity and decent passers?

I've always wanted to believe that Puel might be the sensible long term option and that given time he will turn things around. Yet I've never been able to get to that point where I have complete faith in him as a manager.

With each game that passes I honestly trust him less. Sure, people will say that the squad isn't the best, but no one is expecting that we are literally the best team in the league. Fans just expect us to compete, and at least give the worst sides in the league a good run for their money. The only times we seem to win under Puel, are times when the opposition just seem to have an off day or we get a bit lucky and even today, Palace were pretty dreadful and still managed to win. 

I appreciae the optimism of some supporters but I can't fully endorse the claims of "just wait, it will take time for him to embed his philosophy". Honestly, what is his philosophy? There's no evidence in his tenure here or elsewhere to suggest that he has any kind of desirable footballing philosophy. It seems wishful thinking to me, that a manager who can't buy a result even when he needs one, is somehow a tactical genius who is constantly let down by his inferior players.

Is it really progression to make a few extra passes along the back four only to push it out wide and then hit a ball into an area where no one will contest it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought the second half wasn't too bad, we were much better than the first, which wasn't very hard tbf.

Some positive performances from Fuchs, Morgan, Parriera and Ghezzal but it is hard to think of much else. I think Mendy and Wilf are struggling in a 2, but the options aren't great.

Ghezzal>Madders today

• Like 3

Really torn about this manager.

He has done some really good things like blooding lots of young exciting players to replace aging less technical players. He has made decent signings on the whole that have addressed some key weaknesses eg right back, more depth at centre half and a No 10. He also handled the Vichai tragedy with great sensitivity and dignity.

However, he keeps make decisions that are utterly baffling. For example, the team selection at Fulham where he rested players who had played really well in the game before and in the process blew our chances of winning a game that should have been a gimme. Then there is his continuing deployment of 2 deep lying midfielders who create pretty much nothing, even against weaker teams. Which other team plays with 2 defensive midfielders who can only pass square and back? Even the likes of Palace have midfielders such as MacArthur and Milovujovic who can pick a pass and score a few goals. Finally, we seem to have zero structure and pattern in our play in the final third. It's like we don't practice on attacking in the final third. We play pretty patterns up to about 30 yards out then completely run out of ideas. There is no interplay at all and moves generally end with a hopeful cross that we have no chance of doing anything with as he decided to go with a squad with no tall strikers and we get so few players in or near the box anyway as our CMs are so deep and our full backs and wingers stay wide. 

We now have 3 very tough games and by the time we play Cardiff we could easily be on a run of 5 consecutive defeats. His position then would be very vulnerable. 

I voted 'stay' in the match ratings poll but for the first time I wobbled over doing so. 

Awful, I can't believe he's persisting with Mendy and N'Didi in midfield, they are a horrific combination.

I've been on the fence regarding Puel but I do think they need to start sounding out replacements, Cardiff at home is going to be a game he'll need to win.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Awful, I can't believe he's persisting with Mendy and N'Didi in midfield, they are a horrific combination.

I've been on the fence regarding Puel but I do think they need to start sounding out replacements, Cardiff at home is going to be a game he'll need to win.

I'd play iborra and Silva more, but give them extended runs rather than odd minutes here and there..... only we can buy Sevilla's captain and Lisbon's captain but not play either of them 

• Like 1

I really wanted Puel to be a success. I still do, but that care is gradually shrinking. This is my first major wobble, and I know I'm not the only one.

I understand we're evolving our style, are a team in transition, and have blooded lots of youngsters. I'm very happy and understanding of that.

But what has happened to our drive, our attitude, and our intent to win? I don't get how that has evaporated to leave us as such a meh team. It's really sad to watch.

• Like 3

I'm getting fed up of motd just brushing over our poor displays because of the death of Vichai. I know it's sad and affected the players, but I do think enough time has passed now that they can stop just saying, "it's been tough Leicester will be fine" and actually start doing their jobs and start analysing our play again, good or bad. I haven't seen them look at anything in closer detail regarding us in weeks, just one line summaries and move on to the next game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I thought the second half wasn't too bad, we were much better than the first, which wasn't very hard tbf.

Some positive performances from Fuchs, Morgan, Parriera and Ghezzal but it is hard to think of much else. I think Mendy and Wilf are struggling in a 2, but the options aren't great.

Ghezzal>Madders today

The important parts of your post....the options aren t great!!!!

We picked up Maddison,who was also misfiring yesterday!!! 

We had to give The new buys,Silva and Iborra their chance!!!  The owners would of told Puel, he had no choice!!!

Ndidi was our midfield,first name on gameday selection!!!

We were never going to invest in any other midfield player,we had already put the money on the table...

Nearly every poster believed after 3-4 games Mendy and Amartey,and re-kindled their 1st team careers

We had potentially in Nacho/Gray players who would/should up their games with Shinjii in the background....I

Mr reliable... Vardy would pick up any scraps of decent chances.I

big Injuries,with more than 1-2 game outage,or not really game-fit!!

Look again ,and read those facts...

Any Manager would be struggling!!!  Not one of those issues mentioned,has manifested into any type of translation or success.

Plus after so many fail-buys,The owners will not have given any manager a large budget/if any. to invest in any proven high cost player!!

That as not allowed/enabled Puels selections to find any consistency...

If 5-7 players,mainly front 6 were showing any kind of aptitude to deliver consistent PL discipline,and individual performances,

I would also (though would find it hard).  Join the Puel/or any other manager....out brigade.

It's hard to accept,but we have no engine room,no fire power,we have the odd spark,that then promptly fizzles out!!!

The fight and spirit,is not even there...That comes only from within the players.Yesterday we saw a snippet of pain and caring,when

those nearly chances,went begging.Enough frustration shown from the players...

We have never really been buried in games,we have lost many points,quite a few to different single player errors.!!

our defence has a unit has improved,and IMO as not been the issue,when losing games or points.

Another point to be taken into consideration,with the major character of our players,since the title win...

Ranieri,then Shakespeare,now Puel have shown their frustration,even anger on the touchline,when the team sits back and

fail to take advantage of moving the ball quickly with pace,when the openings have presented themselves....I

Plus our basic on the ball discipline and control have abysmally been missing,when even that is not being initiated during the game,

then manager and coaching staff can't be made answerable...We are now over 3 season been missing a gameday "boss"

When we won the title we didn't need one,every player and unit pulled together,and covered together!!!

The great Escape seen Huth and Cambiasso,lead from the front!!!

we need a Schmeichel type,but as an outfield player.

I am not any better than the Puel-out brigade,they have excellent and solid arguments!!!

But...my "Buts"  are based mainly on the above mentioned points,and our squad isn't has good as some will have us believe.

we can't force the dream when the quality is missing,we can't be so naive,by demeaning the opposition,and be arrogant to

believe some teams are their for the taking,and we are expected even entitled to win those games....Sorry that is pathetic!!!

Looking at the teams around us....Their youth players are clicking,and giving decent performances..our  major mainstays arent!!!

Puel can only work with what he's got,and what they are bringing to the table...at the moment,not one of the front 6 are grabbing

their chance...If we had the rescources, players like Maddison,Ndidi,even Vardy would need to prove their trust in selection!!!

they have become a need,that shouldn't be there!!!

If we took on a new manager,we wouldn't have the funds to support him...he would have the same problem...

We ARE  not has good as some fans would have us be. The fail-buys have ruined our chance to show we can compete for top 8-6.

The rebuild is in a worse situation as imagined,a Nacho top form and success,would of still papered over the cracks...,but would of released

a lot of pressure and put us still below 6th,though giving us more optimisum

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I'm getting fed up of motd just brushing over our poor displays because of the death of Vichai. I know it's sad and affected the players, but I do think enough time has passed now that they can stop just saying, "it's been tough Leicester will be fine" and actually start doing their jobs and start analysing our play again, good or bad. I haven't seen them look at anything in closer detail regarding us in weeks, just one line summaries and move on to the next game.

None of the football podcasts are discussing us either - and TBF they didn't prior to October either.

We are just uninteresting and largely irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, evil jack said:

None of the football podcasts are discussing us either - and TBF they didn't prior to October either.

We are just uninteresting and largely irrelevant.

But MOTD will always summarise a teams performance, even if it's only briefly. Just a quick line on what wrong, what's right, or who stood out. We're getting nothing atm, just comments on how it's been tough and then move on.

I've stopped going to games really this season. I used to go as many as I possibly good but I lost the bug for it mostly due to Puel's turgid football.

Went yesterday and I've never been so bored at a Leicester game in my life. If my mates had suggested leaving at half-time yesterday, I probably would have left. 

I cannot believe how much we've regressed from the exciting football we once played.

• Like 3

When the line up was announced I think most people would have been happy with it.

It's the lack of creativity from midfield that is the problem. I think N'didi is good at what he does(winning the ball, breaking up attacks) but the person next to him has to have creativity in his boots. Gray, Iheanacho and Madison are not the finished article yet and will make many mistakes along the way. Defense looks mostly solid with Sonyuno and Benkovic to come in. Full backs look very good.

I think we are close to having a good team and I think a little patience is required.

Problem is Puel is not exactly user friendly

• Like 1