Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Man City 1-1 (1-3 on penalties) post match bickering

Just now, kingfox said:

No doubt some fans will blame Puel for the penalty order when Fuchs and Soyuncu took them early in the last round.

Posters are embarrassing themselves and the ones who are being sarcastic are merely adding fuel to the fire because the staunch ‘outers’ wont get it 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Right so, we did well to get back into the game, we actually gave it a go albeit with little quality I have to say, until perhaps the changes were made.

Onto the penalties, they were awful, awful penalties.

Those 2 things i'm gonna credit the first part and not blame Puel for the second part, I can't, not his fault they were shocking penos.

However Puel does need holding accountable for the starting line up. A stronger line up and we'd have won that, it was pretty much exactly like last season, did he learn absolutely nothing from that?

That’s not how it works Matt though, is it ........ u keep it tight and then make the changes later on to get something from the game. Man City have dropped a handful of points ..... we needed to be clever to get a result 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

The players selected did extremely well. Maybe we win with a strongest team, maybe we don't. 

The penalties were pathetic.

Can anyone offer a logical reason as to why Soyuncu takes a penalty ahead of Albrighton or Gray?

Because he scored in the last shoot out ?

• Like 1

Just now, elvisfmcfly said:

Did Puel ever learn anything from any of his mistakes? 

So as expected. It really IS a popularity contest and nothing of substance at all.....

Penalty shootout luck ran out then - a real shame after the fight we showed in the second half to bring it back to 1-1. Really good to see them coming out after Half Time and fighting back at City. Regardless of the end result tonight, lots to be pleased with in that performance. Choudhury was outstanding.

We binned it with those penalties though. Dreadful penalties. Honestly so surprised that Fuchs has missed 2/3 across the Wolves, Southampton and City ties.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

Thought we were actually pretty exciting in the second half. 

Me too, I quite enjoyed it and was on my feet nervous-dancing in front of the tv for the last five mins. 

Really thought Gray had a great game, Hamza was a breathe of fresh air and so happy seeing Fuchs back playing and not only playing, also keeping out Mahrez (but at the same time I don't want Chilwell to be out for too long). 

Penalty shoot outs are always a lottery. We did terrible at Wolves too, and if it weren't for Danny we would never have got through. Much better against Southampton, but today it just didn't happen for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Manchester said:

Thought you played very well 2nd half and was convinced you would win before 90 mins at one point. Thought your keeper was a bit of a pleb but that's probably subjective.

Hate pens. All the best for the rest of the season. 

After the Sterling penalty? I'm sure that was the way he took it more than anything, I'm sure keepers hate dinked penalties against them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A loss is always more annoying when it's totally in your hands that you could have done something different.

Those penalties were utterly shite. Some of the worst. That fvcking stutter in the run-up is disgustingly bad. Never liked it.

Maddison and Soyuncu need to give their heads a wobble. Fair play for stepping up (defenders or not, doesn't bother me if you have the confidence to take one). But never been a fan of the stutter or not getting it on target (Fuchs, Sterling lol). Some penalties were ridiculously weak. 

Very frustrating!!!

I want those penalty takers to come out and grovel to the fans,and not just with sorry....!!!!

Nothing to do with Puel!!! These guys put their hands up....!!!

I feel quite a few (quite severe) emotions right now.

I'm so angry about the penalties. All four of them. Utterly pathetic. They must be knackered after chasing the game for 90 mins but they were all utterly, utterly atrocious. 

We stuck in there really well in the second half and showed a proper Leicester attitude to get back into the game. 

It always comes back to Puel though. I really wanted him to do well here. Why the **** didn't Maddison and Albrighton start? Why is Vardy not in the squad? If Mourinho had played a similar level of side for a United team, people would say 'he's trying to get himself sacked', and that's exactly what I thought after tonight. 

Last thing - I'm 22, been a STH since 7, so havent seen as many as lots of posters on here, but I think iheanacho is the worst striker I've ever seen put the shirt on for us 

• Like 1

I so fecking hate stutters in penalty run ups. Its shite. Its always been shite so dont fecking do it.Do it again and you should be sacked and thrown onto an ant hill covered in jam. A wonderful opportunity thrown away, . I will never understand the thinking behind resting players in a QF and teams at the bottom of the league.  Gutted big time.

Edited by sishades

12 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

That second half was good though

It wasn't really, we just finally put a bit of effort in. I can't think of a shot on target apart from the goal, certainly it was our only decent chance. Man City played with the handbrake on for 70 minutes.

Had we started with Albrighton, Maddison and Vardy (who I very much doubt is actually injured, I'm sure he'll play against Chelsea) then we would have won that game. You cannot praise the manager for making changes when surely it was common sense to start with these players if you had any intention to win the game. I never understood that, people lauding a manager for his substitutions as if somebody else picked the wrong starting 11 and it was out of his control.

Just another dull performance but, since that doesn't seem to matter to anyone and it's all about results, then the most important fact is we didn't get the result we needed to progress. People defend Puel when we play poorly and grind out a result though deflected goals, own goals, playing against 10 men, scoring with our only shot on target and going through in a penalty shootout after a bore-draw (all of which have happened more than once this season) so on this occassion those same people should be consistent and just accept that we lost the tie.

If however, you are one of those that thinks performances will be reflected in the results in the long term, that wasn't an encouraging one. I don't think we've been involved in a decent match all season.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Dont forget how many good players were in that Man City team

We did well today. If the penos werent so diabolically s**t it would be better, but we played the match well in the second half. Competed well

We did, but what a great shame the desire to win in the last 30 wasn't replicated in the first 30.

Had we done we'd probably be in the semi finals now.

If we had started with a strong 4-2-3-1 like some on here wanted, City would have torn us apart. Notice in the last twenty minutes or so there were a bunch of times when City looked like scoring when previously we had been tighter.  Whilst the change got us the goal, I doubt we would have stood much of a chance without crowding out the midfield for most of the game. 

• Like 2