Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Ghezzal....

On 03/01/2019 at 21:04, whoareyaaa said:

I know what your saying, I don't think saying he is nowhere near good enough to play for us is true though as he does offer something and nothing less than others currently.

Regarding him and Gray I think they are different players tbh while Gray offers pace and a threat against tired legs, Ghezzal is a lot more composed on the ball and more likely to unlock a defence with a pass than Gray so they both have there advantages Gray has 500 more minutes on him and has scored 1 more goal and 1 assist big chances created 0 compared to Ghezzal 3.

I'd say Ghezzal is more comparable to Maddision as I don't class Ghezzal as a winger and should probably be played in a 10 as much as you don't want to hear that lol he doesn't posses the pace to get up and down the flank or the ability to beat a man so I agree with you on that part... Obviously Maddision has been given a lot more game time 1500mins with Ghezzal mostly playing a bit part in the season in a new league with new team mates, new language etc.. overall I think the comments are harsh given the circumstances.

I think what you are both saying has an element of truth. Poor old Ghezzal was on a hiding to nothing before he stepped onto the pitch. We the fans thought he would be the Mahrez replacement but he is nowhere near that in either ability or for that matter what he cost us. What I see is a player who doesn’t lack desire and is trying to make things work and I think as with Mendy it will take time. Whilst it’s true currently he doesn’t have the edge of your seats feeling I think he’s going to improve. If we take our Mahrez specs off and judge him for what he is ie a quarter of Mahrez ‘s fee we might not be so harsh on him. 

I think he’s more creative than grey currently who is treading water at best.

10 hours ago, Osavo said:

I don't mind this lad. Admittedly, I think he's technically quite limited and probably not good enough for the level we want to be at, but at least when he gets the ball he's willing to look FORWARDS and try and make things happen. Sometimes his passes and shots are misplaced, but it's more forgivable when he's trying to get on the ball and be positive. I'd rather that and lose possession, than take the negative, easy option of passing backwards and not taking responsibility. He's not as bad as most make out. 

^ This.  In a team that can't break down defences he's a willing trier who always looks forward.  I'd have him ahead of Nacho any day at the moment

The one thing that gives me great doubts about him is his mindset on the pitch. He totally lacks commitment and energy. The guy never gets out of 1st gear and lacks desire, its like he has no belief in his own ability. He looks beaten from the first whistle. 

Sorry but I have no faith in him whatsoever.

1 hour ago, lcfcell said:

Might be wrong here but with 3 goals (all comps) isn’t he our 3rd top goal scorer..? Behind Vardy (7) and Maddison (5) dear lord 

Says more about the team than it does about Ghezzal tbh.

• 4 months later...

Probably one of the least-talked about player, considering the form of others currently.

Am still 50/50 about him, but have a feeling he won't fit in with Rodgers' long-term plans at the club.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I thought the Ghezzal and Ward signings were a disgrace. £25m on two players in their mid 20's and it was obvious before they even arrived they wouldn't strengthen the first XI.

All after having a good summer clearing dead wood of our own shifting out Musa, Iborra and Benalouane and a host of other out on loan as we couldn't get buyers for them. 

Monaco and Liverpool were desperate to shift these players and we were the only buyers in town and still paid absolute top Dollar premium prices. I'm sure we could have got Ghezzal on loan with a small loan fee as we should have held the whip hand in negotiations.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I thought the Ghezzal and Ward signings were a disgrace. £25m on two players in their mid 20's and it was obvious before they even arrived they wouldn't strengthen the first XI.

All after having a good summer clearing dead wood of our own shifting out Musa, Iborra and Benalouane and a host of other out on loan as we couldn't get buyers for them. 

Monaco and Liverpool were desperate to shift these players and we were the only buyers in town and still paid absolute top Dollar premium prices. I'm sure we could have got Ghezzal on loan with a small loan fee as we should have held the whip hand in negotiations.

I honestly think replacing Mahrez with Ghezzal was a sackable offence for someone tbh. I really hope it was Macia quite frankly. 

The whole failure to sign a decent winger in the summer with the Mahrez money was just rank. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I honestly think replacing Mahrez with Ghezzal was a sackable offence for someone tbh. I really hope it was Macia quite frankly. 

The whole failure to sign a decent winger in the summer with the Mahrez money was just rank. 

I think it was an obvious Puel signing after working with him before. 

Ghezzal is a tidy enough player but offers very little at this level. He had one stand out season in his career and has been shipped from Lyon to Monaco to Leicester on the strength of that. With Monaco's willingness to move him on we could have easily got him on loan with a £2m loan fee and option to buy, it was definitely a buyer's market. I'd bet good money they were high fiving each other when they palmed him off to us for good money. We'll either get rid of him for buttons or he'll see his contract out here, when manager's insist on a player that goes against the recruitment team they deserve to be sacked for that alone if it goes wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think it was an obvious Puel signing after working with him before. 

Ghezzal is a tidy enough player but offers very little at this level. He had one stand out season in his career and has been shipped from Lyon to Monaco to Leicester on the strength of that. With Monaco's willingness to move him on we could have easily got him on loan with a £2m loan fee and option to buy, it was definitely a buyer's market. I'd bet good money they were high fiving each other when they palmed him off to us for good money. We'll either get rid of him for buttons or he'll see his contract out here, when manager's insist on a player that goes against the recruitment team they deserve to be sacked for that alone if it goes wrong. 

But without Puel we probably wouldn't have got Ricardo. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 2

Monaco got him on a free and the media were claiming they wanted £5m for him, we steam in and pay £12.5m which is astonishing. As some have said, can't help but feel like we could and should have got him on loan first, Monaco wanted shot of him.

• Like 1

Ghezall was NOT a replacement for Mahrez. A combination of players across the team for more attacking intent so Maddison, Ricardo and Tielemans were the replacements for Mahrez.

Ghezzal was simply to fill the numbers out wide.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'd have him as a number 10 every day of the week behind Vardy rather than Nacho. I think he's got far more about him, better control, direct, calm and more importantly, gives of his best. Compare him value for money against 25m Nacho and he was a snip ?.

I agree. His performance as a 10 which I remember him playing v Burnley at KP this season was pretty tidy. That said I think we’ve much better options now. 

I don't think he was ever going to be a starter. We needed back up on the wing and I think he's offered that, chipped in with a few goals. 

We can't buy world class players and have them as our second string. We need to have some players in the squad that are happy to play a bit part, he has done that job pretty well. 

I see potential in him, he is quick and has some skill. He's lazy at tracking back, but then a certain Mr Mahrez was a bit like that when we first got him. 

That being said, I don't think he's a Rogers type of player, so I can imagine we're in the market for his replacement.