Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Ghezzal....

He hasn’t set the world alight yet, and I’ll admit he frustrates me at times, however people calling him out worst ever signing .... really?!? 

In the grand scheme of it, £12,000,000 isn’t that bad for a player. We paid that for a back up goalkeeper. 

He’s no worse than Musa, Slimani, Silva, Kaputska or Benelouane from our recent signings. 

Then you start to look at some of the other questionables back to even 2010 - Bagayoko, Whitbread, Mills, Danns, Fuctsas, Beckford, Ball, Paintsil, Kennedy, Johnson, Moussa, Moreno, N’Guessan, Cernic, Kermogant, Delfenesso, Lamey. 

At at least he’s got game time unlike some of these names. 

• Like 2

On 01/01/2019 at 18:47, KrefelderFox666 said:

Puel, how dare he. How can he live with himself for benching Albrighton who has played 200+ mins of football in a week and looked knackered against Cardiff.

Why does Puel not play the same 11 players for 90 mins every game.

I didn’t have a problem with Puel giving Albrighton a rest. He did look tired versus Cardiff. What I did have a problem with was his replacement. Ghezzal was a total car crash that first half. The lad is nowhere near good enough. Everyone can see it so why can’t Puel?

19 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

I didn’t have a problem with Puel giving Albrighton a rest. He did look tired versus Cardiff. What I did have a problem with was his replacement. Ghezzal was a total car crash that first half. The lad is nowhere near good enough. Everyone can see it so why can’t Puel?

TBF he hasn’t always looked quite as bad as he did vs Cardiff 

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

What will you do after a year?

Probably go to greggs buy myself a sausage roll and contemplate for a long time, over Ghezzals year and make a decision....... ?

Edited by Simoken

49 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Considering the dross weve had in Musa, Im not that concerned with Ghezzal just yet. He has potential to improve under Puel. I think i will give him a year to adjust.

Why do we need to give him a year? If that was the case we should have left him where he was then re-evaluate after 12 months, then not have bothered.

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

Considering the dross weve had in Musa, Im not that concerned with Ghezzal just yet. He has potential to improve under Puel. I think i will give him a year to adjust.

How to turn yourself into a footballer that is shit and stealing a living? play 560 minutes for Leicester.

22 minutes ago, Oldblueyes said:

Why do we need to give him a year? If that was the case we should have left him where he was then re-evaluate after 12 months, then not have bothered.

Remember vardy's first season. He was bad but after he got use to the football he got better.

17 minutes ago, Attywolf said:

Remember vardy's first season. He was bad but after he got use to the football he got better.

Yes, but Vardy was brought in for his potential from a lower league, I thought Ghezzal was brought in to replace Mahrez. Completely different animal.

9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

That's the spirit. Why look at the positives like his goal and performance against Liverpool. 

Or take into account the mitigating circumstances like the fact he's started 6 games or the fact he's had to adjust to a completely new country and language. 

When you can completely write off one of your football clubs own players as a bag of honking dog shit.

Yes he's been underwhelming so far but a bit more patience and support is needed from fans in these type of situations I feel. 

Especially considering we have been down this road countless times including with players like Vardy, Drinkwater and more recently Ricardo.

Seriously? He is utter shite. There are no positives and I’m sure he will be binned off as soon as the club can. 

12 minutes ago, Oldblueyes said:

Yes, but Vardy was brought in for his potential from a lower league, I thought Ghezzal was brought in to replace Mahrez. Completely different animal.

Come on - did anyone seriously think this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldblueyes said:

Well, I think the club did. It was splashed out all over the press when he arrived. 

I think a lot of the problems with the guy is summed up with one word, which is ........ expectation.

think you are on the money with that! Mahrez goes,  another algerian arrives. 1+1 = news story of replacement.

Guess we shall see.

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Come on - did anyone seriously think this?

It baffles me that people still bring this up. It's painfully evident that Ghezzal was not a replacement for Mahrez, and it makes FAR more sense when you consider that he was probably brought in as a ready-to-play upgrade for Diabaté who needed a bit more time to develop in the u23s.

It was always obvious that when Mahrez left we would need to replace with creativity across the pitch rather than just in one position. Which is exactly why the fee we received went on Ghezzal AS WELL AS Maddison and Pereira, in addition to bolstering our CB options.

It's not quite worked out for him so far, but he has shown glimpses of ability (against Burnley, for instance), although on the whole he's not been good enough to justify the price tag. When we made the signing it was a bit of a risk, and unfortunately hasn't quite worked out, but we'll recoup a fair amount of the fee when we eventually move him on.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oldblueyes said:

Well, I think the club did. It was splashed out all over the press when he arrived. 

I think a lot of the problems with the guy is summed up with one word, which is ........ expectation.

Do the club right headlines? It was as clear as day a panic buy, the fact we were chucking money left right and centre at any old winger before he signed shows this. For whatever reason, we failed to get in our main targets. The signing looks every inch of us not knowing where to turn as we've exhausted out list and we've ended up just plumping for some bloke the manager knows has a bit of raw talent and is probably available quickly.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah, literally no positives if you ignore when he's actually played ok.

He's played 560 minutes in the league. He was probably our best player against Liverpool, where he played 90 minutes and scored. He played 90 minutes against Burnley in the 10 role and looked decent, with him being only behind Ricardo in the whoscored ratings (if you believe that shit). I thought he did ok when he came on against Cardiff (32 minutes), he created a couple of chances and played the ball for us to win the pen that should have won us the game. He was certainly better than Gray and Albrighton on the day. There was also another game, Bouremouth away springs to mind where people said he was just about the only decent thing we had going for us in the first half, so lets say 45 minutes.

Presuming he's done absolutely nothing else decent in any other games, that's at least 257 minutes of his 560 where he's been good enough.  He's not done enough consistently in his career to make me think he'll suddenly find the consistency he needs to carve out a career as a starter in the premier league, but he's not utter shit. He's just another one of those players who have ability but can't string a run of games together and are wildly inconsistent.

He doesn't deserve the vitriol and name calling he gets. 

Agree with this.

He doesn't deserve the name calling. The bloke is just one of these players thats too lightweight and too inconsistent. When he's on form he looks just above average with a few nice touches here and there otherwise he's one of these players that when he's not on form he goes missing and looks awful, probably because he's too lightweight to impose himself on a Premier league game. At least with Albrighton if he's having a bad game you'll know he's there as he'll be throwing himself about, Ghezzal - not so much.

As mentioned in another post which I agree with - he's a panic buy because the manager knew he would be available and there might be some chance he could come good. However we appear to have made too many of these signings hence why Ghezzal gets the stick he gets.

I love that everyone has such strong opinions on him, I honestly have no idea whether he's any good. You can sort of see what he's trying a lot of the time, it usually doesn't work. Some of his one touch stuff is decent, but he also looks really passive a lot.

I think his face doesn't help since it's basically this at all times: :o