Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Iborra

I know people have been slating Mendy and Ndidi but Puel hasn’t had much of an option but to play them to be honest . Iborra is too slow and ponderous on the ball , Silva too light weight and has shown nothing in the few minutes he’s had  aprart from a few nice touches he  has looked out of his depth, James  is permanently injured and King simply isn’t good enough . Get rid get some quality  in 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

People on here will tell you that Evans is a veteran at 30, as well. lol Which clearly is ridiculous, but I digress, Iborra is not a CB.

28-29 is last big contract time for virtually all CM's imho. I think you are referring to when a player actually peaks in playing terms, which is slightly different. I agree Iborra could have worked if we had played to his strengths. As a trad sitting CDM in a possession based team, I daresay he would still be useful, but we have never really consistently played like that, in the time he has been here.

Yeah totally agree with you there. But in terms of cm I'd say it's down to the individual. There are still some cm close to 30 or just over that could get some big contracts. Obviously some players lose their legs earlier depending on how long they've played at the top level and their general physique (Wayne Rooney) but I wouldn't get concerned about most pro footballers/athletes until 33-34. 

Agree, I think he does suit that style but while we are trying to move the ball around the ground more, I still feel our strengths lie with high tempo and fast breaking play which clearly doesn't work with Iborra. 

32 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

If we sell him for the same amount that we bought him for, that's fantastic business. He's 31 in 2 weeks, he'd only recently turned 29 when we got him.

Edited by Beechey

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Excellent business.

CM is the area we need to improve, Iborra, King, James and SIlva won't be used by Puel, so they need shipping out and replacing.

Can just seeing getting rid of and not replacing until the summer. 

I'll be sad to see Iborra go - a decent experienced player and an all-round likeable guy. I don't think he necessarily would have been top of anyone's departure list but if we are getting offers in the region of €12-15mil and breaking even (there or thereabouts) as the press are suggesting, then it is hard to argue against the transfer, especially if Puel isn't too keen on him and he isn't starting.

Hopefully a few others will be following Iborra out and there will be, fingers crossed, a positive addition or two.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, srex9 said:

Yeah totally agree with you there. But in terms of cm I'd say it's down to the individual. There are still some cm close to 30 or just over that could get some big contracts. Obviously some players lose their legs earlier depending on how long they've played at the top level and their general physique (Wayne Rooney) but I wouldn't get concerned about most pro footballers/athletes until 33-34. 

Agree, I think he does suit that style but while we are trying to move the ball around the ground more, I still feel our strengths lie with high tempo and fast breaking play which clearly doesn't work with Iborra. 

Fair enough, it certainly does vary a lot depending on who we are talking about. I remember CM's like Strachan and McAllister, who seemed to almost stop the clock when they hit 30 (at least for a good few years).

It's frustrating because we are now giving up on decent quality players on a regular basis. Once upon a time we would have rushed to build a side around players that we have moved on recently. How times change. :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 02/01/2019 at 22:05, Kitchandro said:

He seems the sort of player that thrives in Spain but football is played at a much quicker tempo over here (well it should be anyway) and he's not up to it. Just another player who doesn't make enough impact on matches.

Unfortunatly...too right. Though Barcelona might think otherwise..

We've seen Ronaldo(Portugese) work brilliantly the Spanish,PL,Italian leagues out...

How good would Messi (S.American/Argentinian) be.

Italian players have been top notch,over years in the Pl

A few S.American players,made a damn good career here...I

But at present,I can't think of too many Spanish that have ripped the PL.

Good ones like Fabregas,Costa,Silva but Spanish players not in top 5 group.or am I forgetting anyone??

I really wanted Iborra to make it...he could of been  a settling influence/style on/for  us...but!!I

Good post theme!!

Edited by fuchsntf

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Why a loan with a compulsory purchase clause rather than an outright purchase now? Aren’t fees normally paid in instalments anyway, meaning that an outright purchase is pretty much the same thing?

It is pretty much the same thing, but it can be used to balance the books or for FFP reasons. For example if Villarreal are already at their FFP cap this season, then they can't spend any more or will get fined / docked points. So even though they are essentially paying the money now, it's happening in the summer. PSG famously cheated the system hard to get Mbappe and Neymar in the same window as the biggest exploit of this. Southampton have done it this season with Ings for similar reasons.

Villarreal are in massive trouble, currently sitting in the relegation zone in Spain, despite drawing with Real Madrid in their last game and having a fit again Santi Carzorla pulling the strings and scoring goals. It is a really good deal for us because I don't think Iborra is worth that much money, and they probably feel the same way. But I'm sure they'd rather pay a few million more to stay in the division than go down. And one thing I will say about Iborra is that he is a great character and clearly a leader of men. Probably the perfect player to bring in for an Iberrian relegation battle given the pace is slower there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It is pretty much the same thing, but it can be used to balance the books or for FFP reasons. For example if Villarreal are already at their FFP cap this season, then they can't spend any more or will get fined / docked points. So even though they are essentially paying the money now, it's happening in the summer. PSG famously cheated the system hard to get Mbappe and Neymar in the same window as the biggest exploit of this. Southampton have done it this season with Ings for similar reasons.

Villarreal are in massive trouble, currently sitting in the relegation zone in Spain, despite drawing with Real Madrid in their last game and having a fit again Santi Carzorla pulling the strings and scoring goals. It is a really good deal for us because I don't think Iborra is worth that much money, and they probably feel the same way. But I'm sure they'd rather pay a few million more to stay in the division than go down. And one thing I will say about Iborra is that he is a great character and clearly a leader of men. Probably the perfect player to bring in for an Iberrian relegation battle given the pace is slower there.

Maybe that's the reason for loan/then buy ...... The buy clause only get's activated if they stay up?

30 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Maybe that's the reason for loan/then buy ...... The buy clause only get's activated if they stay up?

Well allegedly it’s an obligation to buy so even if they go down they have to buy. That club is a real roller coaster... they were once one game away from the Champions League final but also been relegated. I think they are quite a maverick club in that sense and similar to Leeds over here. Regardless it’s good for us and probably good for the player.

A real shame though that both Iborra and Silva have been flops because fans of our club would turn a David Silva type of player into an icon. Cambiasso is still loved as were the two Gary’s in Parker and Mac. Though I do think it’s deliberate in order to free up space to bring someone specific in. The way Silva (and recently Nacho) are being left out of squads completely reminds me of the Simpson situation last year where Albrighton was being tried at right back. I reckon Puel cleverly used that to tell Rudkin to bring in his boy Ricardo which has been an outstanding success. I could see us bringing in a young creative midfielder in the summer so start scouting the Championship and Ligue 1! That said it will also give Hamza more chances and Puel has been brilliant for that, all the young players must be loving it and players around the country will take notice. Exciting prospects like Solanke, Loftus-Cheek, etc could be possibilities for us, especially if we get into Europe. Even Loftus-Cheek who really should be in the Chelsea team might be looking at players like Chilwell who are now first choice for England and think it’s a price worth paying. 

• Like 1