Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Hamza Choudhury the Trailblazer

Do really like him.

I'm glad he has worked hard to start breaking into the team, for a long time we've heard the positives about this young lad and more he is showing the potential developing into a top quality professional. Room for improvement but each game he takes in his stride without fear, learns from mistakes and improves.

That tackle against Liverpool epitomises him, as soon as he started homing in you could see he was getting the ball, even with 20 yards to make up. 

I hope he is that trailblazer and has a long successful career with us!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

The only British player with asian (sub-continent) heritage that I know of who played in the Premier League and for England (youth level) is Michael Chopra who used to play for Newcastle. Given how many asian people live in the UK it's suprising there haven't been more, but for cultural reasons football is not something pushed on asian kids. 

Someone, somewhere will become the first break out star, much like players like Viv Anderson, Laurie Cunningham, etc were the first black players to play for England. Hamza definitely has a chance to become that player! Give the cosmopolitan nature of Leicester as a city, it would be fitting if the first star played for us.

He is a Leicester fan and he plays like that out on the pitch, it really comes across that way. I love players like that who you know will die for the team. Hamza would!

Also Zesh Rehman, Neil Taylor plus Harpal Singh at Leeds and Danny Batth at Wolves (although the latter 2 did not actually play in the prem but were part of the squad).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

The only British player with asian (sub-continent) heritage that I know of who played in the Premier League and for England (youth level) is Michael Chopra who used to play for Newcastle. Given how many asian people live in the UK it's suprising there haven't been more, but for cultural reasons football is not something pushed on asian kids. 

Someone, somewhere will become the first break out star, much like players like Viv Anderson, Laurie Cunningham, etc were the first black players to play for England. Hamza definitely has a chance to become that player! Give the cosmopolitan nature of Leicester as a city, it would be fitting if the first star played for us.

He is a Leicester fan and he plays like that out on the pitch, it really comes across that way. I love players like that who you know will die for the team. Hamza would!

Quite weird because only yesterday was my wife saying the same things. Why are there no Asian (and not meaning far east) players in the PL? I was struggling to give a genuine answer as it's not the fact football isn't a big sport in places like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc where cricket and hockey are some, if not the, biggest sports. A lot of people from those countries live here and were born here but never really picked up football at a top level.

Is it still in their culture that they pick up those other national sports rather than football (there are large followings at clubs though, especially Leicester, Man Utd and Liverpool)? Is it genetics that mean players struggle more to reach those top levels? Not an easy one to answer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seanfox778 said:

He'd be more aerodynamic, could get an extra 10% pace out of him lol

Quite right. He head must have weighed an extra 5 kg with all that snow trapped in his hair at Anfield.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

As someone who is half asian, the answer I would give is that it's mostly a cultural thing. Asian parents generally want their kids to focus on education and going into professions such as Healthcare, Legal, Banking or Accountancy. And to be fair statisically speaking these jobs do pay the most and are achievable by most people if they are given a good education and work hard. I know of a few people that had serious talent for sports, but were actively encouraged NOT to follow that interest and instead focus on their studies, which must be quite galling. That said we must recognise that the chances of becoming a Premier League footballer even for someone who is part of an academy is less than 1%. Though the rewards are insane, the reality is that most people do not make it.

These things can change over time though. Asian kids with a flair for Cricket are often told to follow that interest with some aplomb given it's popularity in India / Pakistan / Sri Lanka. All it would take is a is a break out asian star and it could change the perception of football as a career among these communities.

I think you're right, that asian kids are often steered toward professional jobs.

I remember Sunday afternoon kickabouts on Viccy Park about 20 years ago, I was fcking mustard by the way as @Wolfox will testify and sometimes we'd join in with those typical 40 a side games and a lot of those kids were asian and would make right mugs out of us.  I'm really surprised that no one from that background has really come through in that time.

• Like 2

He's very easy to warm to as a player. A bit rough round the edges with some of his passing at times but he's got some really sound defensive attributes and he'll only improve with more game time. I don't think it's a co-incidence that he seems to feature in our best performances.

He's gone from someone I felt we were giving game-time last year to kind of prove a point we'll give time to youngsters (thus incentivising them somewhat) from someone I actually cannot make a good case for leaving out the team.

Dead happy with him this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Really excited about his potential. Seems like a mature player for his age and I didn't really how quick he is until the Liverpool game

Amazing speed when you consider the guy he was chasing down was Mane. Would love to see Puel starting Hamza over Mendy.

I think Hamza's a fine prospect and I'd have him in the team but let's not get carried away.

What he does give our midfield is extra mobility, but there seems to be a lot of 'one of our own/ethnic trailblazer' hype mushrooming among our support largely because of one tackle that, though technically brilliant, did actually present Liverpool with a direct shooting chance.

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The likes of Hamza and the other academy kids (Chilwell, Barnes) are going to save the club a fortune on transfer fees.

How much are those 3 worth in todays market ??

At Daniel Levy‘s pricing model say - 1 Million each