Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester city 1-4 Crystal palace post-Match thread

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Had to smile at what Jon Hartson said when Iheanacho came on. Something like he hadn’t scored in 20 Prem appearances. Hartson said that just is not acceptable and of course, it isn’t.

I can not believe how this club has ridiculously left itself with so few striking options.

Okazaki btw hasn’t scored in 30 appearances.

And people on here want to blame and to slate Vardy!

Its embarrassing.

It’s a dilemma our striking options, we’ve spent a fortune on Musa, Slim and Nacho and were lucky to get our money back on Musa, I’m probably a dinosaur and I know football is a multi million pound industry but how much money can we keep throwing at strikers? 

• Like 2

Absolutely embarrassing. Not sure what else to say.

Everything basic we can't seem to do, even our set piece started a move for their goal lol  We don't shoot. there's not enough movement..... I could go on.

Playing one up front is shit. 

But nothing will change. Tuesday night will be the same, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost.

32 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

We can't be losing 4-1 at home to Palace.

But there's little point getting rid of Puel at this point in the season, with the transfer window long gone. A new man in the summer.

But you could argue that by the time we get to the summer our results might have slumped so much that our better players will want to leave and we will be unattractive to transfer targets - the whole club on a downward path.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Would he? He's missing big chance after big chance after big chance. It's not that he's not getting the service, the quality of chances he's getting is on a par with the title winning season, but his finishing is nowhere near. People don't want it to be the case, and want to blame  everyone and everything else, but he hasn't looked right all season.

How many clear cut chances did we create for him today?

I know he's not been as good this season as previously but your one man mission to apparently try and blame all our problems on Vardy is starting to wear a bit thin.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Had to smile at what Jon Hartson said when Iheanacho came on. Something like he hadn’t scored in 20 Prem appearances. Hartson said that just is not acceptable and of course, it isn’t.

I can not believe how this club has ridiculously left itself with so few striking options.

Okazaki btw hasn’t scored in 30 appearances.

And people on here want to blame and to slate Vardy!

Its embarrassing.

The problem is that both Shinji and Nacho get about 5-10mins at the end of a game, when we're chasing and have no shape. I'm no fan of Nacho but he spent the few minutes he was on the pitch today, playing on the wing. 

He's done now. He did well to avoid the sack after the terrible run at the end of last season, but he won't get through this. I don't think it's going to be a magic fix like everyone is thinking though. "Just play it forward quicker" - no Drinkwater or Mahrez or Kante to do that, and Vardy won't be getting behind a defence that has no need to play a high line because they are already a goal up from their first shot of the game.

We don't have a squad that fully suits any kind of football at the moment, instead we have a weird hybrid squad with all sorts of weaknesses in certain areas. On top of that, on every occasion we have sacked a manager in recent years, there hasn't been a coherent recruitment plan for the new boss, or anyone lined up to come in quickly. Rudkin will have put all his eggs in the Brendan Rodgers in the summer basket, so there's no hope of him coming in now. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Stowell and Beaglehole until the summer, and that really doesn't give me much hope either. Either that or we'll end up with some out of work duffer like Pardew. We might actually have to resort to someone like Allardyce, and who knows what kind of long term damage that could cause if he starts binning off all the younger players. Or we'll get Wagner, which will please people who are convinced that he must be just like Klopp because they used to work together (and because they haven't noticed how awful his Huddersfield team were), in the same way that Steve Mclaren is just as good as Alex Ferguson because he was once his assistant.

TLDR while everyone is getting themselves into a frenzy about getting Puel out, the question of who's next could expose us to a much worse situation. I won't be relieved until I see a new manager who isn't going to take us to hell in a handcart.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

That’s your opinion, I still think he’s trying to push us in the right direction but the atmosphere is just too toxic now as evidenced by the fact that plenty of supporters seem to be revelling in this defeat.

If you are happy with things, fair play to you.. we had 20+ attempts on their goal, but when did we really test their keeper ??

tippy tappy from left to right, then back to the left..ball goes in to the box to who ? 

Absolutely no point in us crossing a ball.

anyone remember our last headed goal by a striker from open play?

what direction is Puel pushing us too exactly ? (Except the obvious one)

Gray played  very well last game according to puel...but then wasn’t good enough to start as a ST or winger  next game??

he has created the atmosphere... his time is up

Without doubt it is touch and go whether we go down. Unless something drastic changes. No guarantee changing manager will do it. But its worth trying. Southampton are probably better side. They showed that when they beat us. They are in 18th. They get a few points and it will really start to turn pressure on. We have such little confidence. Id sack puel on Monday. Cant get any worse. 

So ****ing fed up of this shite it's unreal. That's now 13 games I've been to this season. 2 wins. Christ knows how many losses. It's boring as watching paint dry. Puel is taking us backwards. Partly due to players who don't want him there, but the style of football almost makes me sympathise with them, which is upsetting really. Somepretty dire performances out there. Ghezzal, Madison, vardy. Tielemans and Barnes will soon run out of ideas and confidence too. No idea where we go from here. Cut him now or prepare for a well considered appointment in the summer? 

Either way, we've gone from champions of England to the worst side in the league in just over 2 years. Pretty shambolic however you look at it. 

24 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Players, particularly Maddison, need to be given a clip round the ear every time they try a worldie from 30 yards.

Personally I'd like to see Maddison dropped, Nacho to either sit behind vardy or play with him. Let two strikers bully the defence and the wide men can whip balls in from the byline. 

Could even play 3 at the back, Chillwell and Ricardo cover the wings with Ndidi/ Hamza, Tielemens and and Barnes in midfield.

If we're going on performances, it's harsh for Choudhury not to be in the squad when you consider Mendy's recent form, and that our formation is designed to accommodate three attacking midfielders, even though only one of them - Barnes - looked worthy of a place in the side today. Ghezzal and Gray have rarely looked worthy.

I'd go for a shift in formation to allow our full backs - who plays as wing backs anyway and leave us exposed to all sorts of danger - to actually be wing backs, and make the most of our ample defensive options (either CBs or DCMs) instead of fielding attacking players who haven't produced the goods. It'd also offer more support for Maguire who is very exposed in a two man CB partnership.

Of course, if we play a 3-5-1-1 with two defensive CMs and full backs in the wing back roles, we'll be accused of being overly defensive. So I accept that this may be more of an option away from home than at the KP, but we've conceded 15 goals in the past 6 matches, 7 in the past 2, and that has to change. We need to play to our strengths more, and those attacking players aren't our strengths as it stands.

The greater physical presence we'd have if we dropped a few of our more diminutive players, plonking an extra CB and a giant DCM into the side, would also hugely improve our threat from set pieces. So long as, if we allow Maddison anywhere near them, they're a lot better than they were today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdb said:

So ****ing fed up of this shite it's unreal. That's now 13 games I've been to this season. 2 wins. Christ knows how many losses. It's boring as watching paint dry. Puel is taking us backwards. Partly due to players who don't want him there, but the style of football almost makes me sympathise with them, which is upsetting really. Somepretty dire performances out there. Ghezzal, Madison, vardy. Tielemans and Barnes will soon run out of ideas and confidence too. No idea where we go from here. Cut him now or prepare for a well considered appointment in the summer? 

Either way, we've gone from champions of England to the worst side in the league in just over 2 years. Pretty shambolic however you look at it. 

To be fair, Huddersfield are comfortably the worst side in the league. We are not good at the moment but worst side in the league! - I take it that’s the frustration talking

• Like 1

Just now, DerbyshireFox said:

To be fair, Huddersfield are comfortably the worst side in the league. We are not good at the moment but worst side in the league! - I take it that’s the frustration talking

Ha, I genuinely forgot about them. Huddersfield aside though we are surely the worst form side in 2019?!

I think the saddest thing is that many of us (including me) were laughing at Spurs' title challenge falling to bits at Burnley, when really, we are the laughing stock of the league at the moment. Puel needs to go and its the first time I've said that. I've liked the way he's bringing through our youth players and changing the way we play but enough is enough. Its no use keep having 70% possesion and 20 shots every game if we can't score and can't win. Our performance today did not deserve a defeat, never mind a 4-1 defeat, and the games against Spurs and Man U didn't deserve defeats either but we don't get points from good perfomances, we have to score goals and win games, which we just cant do at the moment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

You always revert to naming and shaming Vardy. Again, if you think one of the first and foremost reasons for our thumping today was that Vardy severely let us down, when he clearly isn't receiving the sorts of opportunities that he has previously thrived off, then you're simply seeing what you want to see. 

Well no, that's why I didn't bring Vardy up. You might have noticed that I actually singled out Kasper as a big part of that. I simply responded to someone pointing out that the issue isn't "didn't play Vardy". And I'll stop pointing out that he's on the decline once people stop blaming Puel for his inability to finish chances he used to take.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Haha 1

Thing is, the lack of ambition is showing. As far as the table is concerned, we're caught in No Man's Land or have done so for too long under Puel, there was no ambition to aim for 7th place and there was the looming lack of dealing with a potential relegation scenario.

Up until today.

It is unacceptable to lose this many home games in a season (again - we won four times at the KP last season!), and that after putting in mostly half-hearted performances with little to no attacking threat as a result and a near all-time low record in terms of home goals scored (somebody please look up the last time we've scored this few home goals in a (PL) season).

Every single week, it's Groundhog Day. I know I'm exaggerating, there's the odd convincing performance (but not the desired result) or the odd desired result (without the convincing performance) but that's the lesson I take out of this.

Every single week, there's hope we turn it around, only to be let down by the players and the manager again.

Every single week, you hope the team turns it around the following week. But they don't.

There needs to be a cut made at some point.

I do hope that the possible relegation threat acts as a bit of a wake-up call to all involved, because quite frankly, this cannot continue.

When you look past the amount of young players given a chance under Puel (but what about Hamza Choudhury these days?), then there's not much positive aspects of his tenure.

It happened at Southampton, it happened here during his first (three-quarter of a) season in charge and it's happening again.

I mean, if you make the same mistakes over and over again, without taking a different approach in order to rectify your mistakes, what does that tell you about Puel's modern-day management skills?

Part of me is willing to give him a (final) third season so he can finally add the last pieces to the puzzle, to fulfill the promise. To make this club great again, the way it was great under Pearson and Ranieri. A club to be proud of, a team that puts smiles onto people' faces, a club you can identify with, a club that feeds off the supporters and vice versa. But my patience wears thin, very thing.

Right now, all I feel is apathy. I'm fed up. I couldn't give a flying fck to be honest, everything drags in the post-Ranieri era. With every new day under Puel, more and more of the joy and energy accumulated in the years prior to him taking over fades away... Guy's a valium.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

He's done now. He did well to avoid the sack after the terrible run at the end of last season, but he won't get through this. I don't think it's going to be a magic fix like everyone is thinking though. "Just play it forward quicker" - no Drinkwater or Mahrez or Kante to do that, and Vardy won't be getting behind a defence that has no need to play a high line because they are already a goal up from their first shot of the game.

We don't have a squad that fully suits any kind of football at the moment, instead we have a weird hybrid squad with all sorts of weaknesses in certain areas. On top of that, on every occasion we have sacked a manager in recent years, there hasn't been a coherent recruitment plan for the new boss, or anyone lined up to come in quickly. Rudkin will have put all his eggs in the Brendan Rodgers in the summer basket, so there's no hope of him coming in now. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Stowell and Beaglehole until the summer, and that really doesn't give me much hope either. Either that or we'll end up with some out of work duffer like Pardew. We might actually have to resort to someone like Allardyce, and who knows what kind of long term damage that could cause if he starts binning off all the younger players. Or we'll get Wagner, which will please people who are convinced that he must be just like Klopp because they used to work together (and because they haven't noticed how awful his Huddersfield team were), in the same way that Steve Mclaren is just as good as Alex Ferguson because he was once his assistant.

TLDR while everyone is getting themselves into a frenzy about getting Puel out, the question of who's next could expose us to a much worse situation. I won't be relieved until I see a new manager who isn't going to take us to hell in a handcart.

It depends how broken the dressing room's faith in Puel is, and whether the fans can bring themselves to get behind him. If he survives for a few more days and the atmosphere remains as volatile as it was today, and if the board see players and fans as being beyond persuasion, then he'll be gone within the week. There was a lot of frustration out there from quite early on at the sideways and backwards passing, at Ghezzal etc. and it didn't help. Simply removing a toxic element from the mix can be enough to restore positivity and get results.

I mean, the most unlikely of managers can achieve short-term success, purely on the grounds that they aren't their predecessor. Look at Shakespeare with us, and possibly even Solskjaer with United. That's why Chelsea are said to have considered Lampard - as a short term fix for the Sarri problem, rather than the long-term solution. He's hardly working miracles at Derby.

In the event of that happening, it's hard to know who they'd go for. Bring Appleton back? Reassemble the Pearson-Walsh-Shakespeare team? Or just 1 or 2 of them? Or, like you say, Stowell and someone else, maybe promoting a senior player to a management role?

It's likely it will be a short-term fix, whatever it is, so they're going to want someone they're on good terms with, who's willing to work on that understanding. They're also likely to want someone cheap and who'll be popular with the players.

Beyond that, unless it's a rip-roaring success, I'd imagine they'll look at a Rodgers or a Benitez in the summer.

But it's very hard to see Puel lasting, because the likes of Rudkin will remember what happened under Taylor after the Wycombe loss and will want to avert a repetition. And, of course, we don't have the points we'll need to stay up yet, and if our form over the past 6 games in repeated over the next 6 we'll be in a serious relegation scrap. I wouldn't be shocked to hear something tonight or tomorrow, and if he does stay I'd guess that has more to do with playing just a few days later. I doubt very much that the 'wait till the summer and see' approach is still the preferred one.

• Like 1