Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rusko187

Rodgers Expectations 18/19 Season

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Finish as high as possible. That's all he can do.

Stop talking sense. Actually this is the first time I've seen him take a team mid-season. I don't know what to expect. Looking forward to this and the reactions on this board.

43 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I honestly think both the player's mentioned will be quickly offloaded in the summer... Rightly so too! 

word is that kelechi is good in training. so the only way BR can assess him is to play him. i expect to see him start a few games in a formation that the manager feels suits the opposition - perhaps at home against a deep sitting team in a two up top just off vards

• Like 1

3 hours ago, That_Dude said:

I think you're right.

One of his "weaknesses" that I keep hearing is that he refuses to abandon his attacking philosophy even if the opponent is vastly superior. Very interested to see how we will set us up against Man City away.

If your looking for "Park the Bus" or "hoof ball" you'll never see it. Playing out from the back and possession are the rule. Looking forward to seeing how good your center half's are with the ball at their feet.

Benkovic....Never mind.

Top 10 finish would be nice, 8th would be great, 7th = heaven.

Despite not being the biggest fan of Rodgers before, I can't help but feel very excited about this appointment. The least he deserves is the benefit of the doubt and full support. Hopefully he'll do great at Leicester and we'll be firing on all cylinders as soon as possible! 

I'm so glad Top acted quickly and signed a proper manager, I expected an interim manager for a week or two at least. It's a relief. Feel a bit sorry for Celtic, but honestly, they will win the title even if they appoint their tea lady as the manager... 

56 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

At the very least the press conferences won’t be as dull, and he has a much wider vocabulary. 

It is obvious he’s ambitious, so I’d expect next season to be exciting. when you consider the wealth of young talent he’s got to work with, how can he possibly fail.

His press conferences will definitely be better, ironically he will deliver both quality and intensity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SirFox said:

I think top 10 finish is all we need to tide us over into next season and more importantly encourage key players to stay (obviously we don't have to sell but it would help if they bought into the vision).

Weirdly, as I'd totally ruled it out just 3 days ago, 7th is suddenly looking quite achievable: we're 5 points off, this is when mid-table teams usually begin to take their foot of the pedal, and we have a favourable run of fixtures hopefully a new manager bounce. Not expecting it by any means, but it gives us something to dream about. 

My thoughts too.

A moderate improvement in league position would satisfy me this season.

And yeah, weirdly, Europa League qualification looks doable again. Certainly not expecting it though.

If he finishes in the top half this season that's fine for me.  I'm more interested in him getting us actually playing decent football again and win lose or draw I'd take that for the rest of the season whilst he sorts it all out. He's got 10 free hits this season for me.  I just want to see improvement. 

I think in the summer we will see the most movement in the transfer window than we've seen for a long time.  But that's more down to players leaving, being sold, or being out of contract that will give us room to bring in perhaps 3 or 4 genuine first team players.  

His first full season I'd still be happy with 50 points and good couple of runs in the cups where we only get knocked out by a better side, not just because we don't give a sh*t.

• Like 2

No expectations results wise, we’ll stay up and are out of both cup competitions.

This means he’s got a great opportunity to implement his style and tactics. 

My expectation is that by fixture 1 of next season he has imprinted this onto the team. By this time we should be playing with confidence and a noticeable philosophy.

He doesn’t need 3 seasons and 6 transfer windows to achieve this. That doesn’t mean he’s expected to get into the top 4 at the drop of a hat, but early next season we should be seeing a big increase in entertainment value with this core group of players.

Just some signs of steady improvement before the end of the season would be nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SirFox said:

I think top 10 finish is all we need to tide us over into next season and more importantly encourage key players to stay (obviously we don't have to sell but it would help if they bought into the vision).

Weirdly, as I'd totally ruled it out just 3 days ago, 7th is suddenly looking quite achievable: we're 5 points off, this is when mid-table teams usually begin to take their foot of the pedal, and we have a favourable run of fixtures hopefully a new manager bounce. Not expecting it by any means, but it gives us something to dream about. 

Looking at our squad objectively, we have a terrific amount of young talent, and if we get a bounce, we could be in 7th by the end of March, and we can add some ground between us and the competition in April. Stealing a win vs. Watford feels absolutely crucial to any backdoor run at a European tour, but if we can get that, we will be in respectable shape.

The real question is what Rodgers can do to get us scoring goals. Our attack is incredibly deficient, they need some confidence, especially Barnes (btw, does Maddison ever get him the ball cleanly? just about every time I see him passing to Barnes, it is well off where it needs to be and disrupts Barnes' flow to the goal). If we can get one or two for Barnes, he will relax, and I expect he will become our best goal-scoring option in short order. That feels like the key to me, look for Barnes, get him going, he will balance our attack and demand attention that will free up the defensive attention on Vards. 

Really liked how Gray looked, more than anything, I liked his body language when he wasn't scoring, he wasn't being a pouty little kid, he seemed to have his confidence up and wasn't letting it impact him so much when he missed. 

Any chance we could see Tielemans swap positions with Maddison? Maddison just doesn't have that consistent touch up front, and I wonder whether Tiel would play our lads into better goal-scoring positions. I suppose this is somewhat precluded as an option due to Maddison's lesser defending relative to Tiel, but while Maddison is good for a couple clever balls each match, like the one to Vardy last night, Tiel looks much more consistent and aggressive playing our attackers through -- I suspect we would see far more quality attacking opportunities if we could get him the ball in the opponents' final third. Probably too tough to wedge him min up front like that though, we really need both of them, just we need Maddison to defend better.

Edited by vanity

Speaking with my lad, I said the owners must have made the manager a really good offer, and promises regards transfers, as well as training ground etc for him to give away a nailed on treble this season.

Next season the expectations should be Europe and a cup, because I need another European tour ? 

If we win at Burnley, 7th and Europe isn't entirely fantastical, and obviously I would expect Rodgers or any manager to go all out for that.  More realistically, these 10 games are about figuring out who can work in his system and who can't and trying to convince Tielemans this is where he wants to be.  Results are secondary to that.

22 minutes ago, KFS said:

Is 7th gaurenteed Europa qualification now that City won the league cup? Or does a top 4 team need to win the FA cup too?

FA cup has to be won by United or City. Will be fuming if we leapfrog Watford and Wolves to get 7th and one of them goes on to win the FA Cup.

On 27/02/2019 at 08:31, StriderHiryu said:

Performances are more important than positions for me this season. Hopefully we hit 40 points as soon as possible though 38 will probably be enough. We may even be safe already. 

If Rodgers is going to implement a high press game it will take time and we will make lots of mistakes. But if there is actual evidence of it then it’s good with me. I want to see peak Vardy again when he was the first line of defence charging down defenders but this time supported by Barnes, Gray, Tielemans and Maddison. We do it already sometimes but I want to see a huge tempo lift. Just give me a few games where we start at high tempo again!

Last night we started well but it still wasn’t 15/16 standard. In that season the first 10 minutes had at least two Kanté specials and Vardy closing down the keeper. It got the crowd going and we’d get the points. I want to see that type of start again but mixed with technical football which we’ve shown we are capable of in patches. 

Super post

• Thanks 2