Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rusko187

Rodgers Expectations 18/19 Season

Heard on Radio Leicester last night they were talking about his expectations and got me thinking what's everyone else thinking for remainder of this season.

For me he's "kind of" got a free hit for these last games, as long as we're safe in the league I'd much rather he get to grips with the squad as to what he needs and what he wants out of the team.

This gives him a great platform to build over the summer and get 19/20 season off to a banger, from there my expectations would be a top half finish and a good cup run.

Discuss..

Top 10 finish is still possible even 7th place is! I think the shackles will be off, the players will enjoy playing football now and we will see improved performances and better results I reckon we will get 20 points from our remaining 10 games; 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Which would have been good enough for 7th last season.

• Like 1

I think top 10 finish is all we need to tide us over into next season and more importantly encourage key players to stay (obviously we don't have to sell but it would help if they bought into the vision).

Weirdly, as I'd totally ruled it out just 3 days ago, 7th is suddenly looking quite achievable: we're 5 points off, this is when mid-table teams usually begin to take their foot of the pedal, and we have a favourable run of fixtures hopefully a new manager bounce. Not expecting it by any means, but it gives us something to dream about. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Top 10 finish is still possible even 7th place is! I think the shackles will be off, the players will enjoy playing football now and we will see improved performances and better results I reckon we will get 20 points from our remaining 10 games; 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Which would have been good enough for 7th last season.

If you’re right , coughing up 12 points to palace, Cardiff and S’hampton is an utter disaster 

1 minute ago, SirFox said:

I think top 10 finish is all we need to tide us over into next season and more importantly encourage key players to stay (obviously we don't have to sell but it would help if they bought into the vision).

Weirdly, as I'd totally ruled it out just 3 days ago, 7th is suddenly looking quite achievable: we're 5 points off, this is when mid-table teams usually begin to take their foot of the pedal, and we have a favourable run of fixtures hopefully a new manager bounce. Not expecting it by any means, but it gives us something to dream about. 

As Wolves lost, and Watford have Liverpool today. It’s looking more achieveable now, you’re right it’s gives us something to dream about.

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

If you’re right , coughing up 12 points to palace, Cardiff and S’hampton is an utter disaster 

Yes because Puel was in charge, under Brendan this opposition coming up is his bread and butter, the players will play with an intensity and look forward to these games rather than just the Top 6.

• Like 1

I want us to keep going for it, whatever "it" is, 7th I hope. On the other hand although he sees them train all week he might want to see Soyuncu have a game or two and rotate to see Choudhury at some point to gauge how close they are and what his options / needs are. However remember a couple of seasons ago where we wanted to see Wasilewski come off the bench in the final home game but the millions per place were more important as we tried in vein to beat Bore-mouth. I don't think you het a position where you're not playing for anything anymore, if were a few points worse off then 7th would be totally unrealistic but then we'd need to be at our full strength to fight off risk of relegation. There may be a dead rubber against Chelsea but only if we're three points clear on either side of ourselves (ie our position can't change) which is unlikely. It would be nice to wave off Fuchs, Shinji, maybe Morgan and Simpson on the final day but as Brucie said "What do Points make - prizes!"

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 1

It's all about belief.  When players made to play in a system that causes losses they lose belief. First they need to believe in the managers ideas.. next the manager needs to inspire them to bekueve they can over achieve.

I think rogers mught well do this. ..

Edited by foxinsocks

For the last few months I’ve just wanted the season to end, we’ve now been given an injection and something to be positive about after months of negativity.

For me this is just a massive pre season now. It goes without saying I want to see positive, encouraging signs to end the season finishing on a high going into next season with some confidence but as for expectations I’d wrote the season off a while ago so I don’t really have any for the remainder of this season as such.

• Like 4

Listening to his interviews it seems that we finally have a manager that is excited by our young energetic squad as he put it. For the first time in a number of years I am genuinely excited that we have a high class manager who has a track record of improving players. I also hope we now have a man at the helm who understands the quality we have and wants to help them improve and get the best out of them.

From now to the rest of the season its about him getting a bond with the players, working out what work they need, working out who wants to stay and who wants to go in the summer and working out what type of player he thinks the club needs to give us a better chance of success next season. Thats a lot of working LOL

• Like 2

I don't think we will make 7th now, but I would like us to give it our best go. We saw from the 2014/15 season what winning momentum can do going into the next season... 

Longer term my expectations are pretty high actually, mainly because I don't think Brendan Rodgers would be here unless he wanted to really achieve something. I expect us to really be pushing for Europe and having a good go in both cups. Otherwise why would he even bother? Priority for the summer will be on giving us the strength in the squad to be able to rotate without compromising so much on quality like we have seen with Puel. 

• Like 1

Free hit and experiment this season for me. I'm pleased with the appointment, but delighted with the timing. It gives Brendan a real chance to see his players up close in a competitive environment and start to affect change before an intensive pre-season where he can work out the flaws he's witnessed in terms of both tactics and personnel. 

• Like 2

Top half finish and begin to establish his style, training philosophy etc.

The top half finish should come quite easily with an upturn in results - we were only a point away before yesterday despite atrocious form so any improvement will see us hit that target. Otherwise, much of the players' criticisms of Puel seemed to be about training intensity and a lack of purpose, so hopefully Rodgers can lay down his expectations and set the tone for the new season.

7th is the dream but possibly unlikely. Given that a full preseason could be vitally important for the new manager I'm not sure adding European qualifiers into the mix would help us at all, so not too fussed if we don't get it.

I don't think we'll see a lot of deviation from the 11 that started last night against Brighton.  That is our best team currently with all players being comfortable on the ball.  Will be interesting to see if he has any impact on the quality of set pieces, both defending and attacking.  He'll likely be asking those players to make slight to changes to the way they play, the positions they take up and the runs they make. Maddison for example looks a far better player when he moves the ball on quickly, to do that though he needs options and movement from the players around him creating space for receiving a pass or creating space for a team mate to run into.  That will take some bedding in, but their have been signs in the last few games that we are moving in that direction.

Would be very interested to see if he tries 3 at the back in some games he has used that in the past and we have the personnel to try it.  Would like to see Caglar get some game time to see if he would be a good option in a back 3.

Basically though he has a free hit, providing we don't lose all 10 games and go spiralling towards the relegation zone - but I really don't expect that to happen.

He needs to assess all the players at his disposal and make some big decisions ahead of the summer window around which (if any) contracts need extending and what positions he would like to strengthen