Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rusko187

Rodgers Expectations 18/19 Season

10 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is one drawback I think with him, is that we are quite likely to take the occasional tanking given how he plays.

I can tolerate it if the others make up for it.

I think you're right.

One of his "weaknesses" that I keep hearing is that he refuses to abandon his attacking philosophy even if the opponent is vastly superior. Very interested to see how we will set us up against Man City away.

Just now, That_Dude said:

I think you're right.

One of his "weaknesses" that I keep hearing is that he refuses to abandon his attacking philosophy even if the opponent is vastly superior. Very interested to see how we will set us up against Man City away.

Likewise. I think this is one thing we could end up getting frustrated with him over based on previous results.

Then again since the title win we've been on the end of a few shellackings anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

I think you're right.

Attacking pressing football was non-existent, under Puel for the majority of his tenure, so I would welcome that weakness, because fact is high energy football is good for these players not slow passive football imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top 10 finish with enough experimental deployment of squad players to enable him to know who to shift and what he needs to buy. That's means realising and expecting that if a particular 'fans favourite' isn't playing and has been replaced by a current 'fans hate figure', to avoid moaning, whining and potentially booing because he needs to have a good look at his squad. I don't think at this stage they need any armchair assistance. 

25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Only real expectation is that we're no where near relegation and that he has a good understanding of the squad by May ready to build. 

I don't really want to go in to the summer with him still unsure who is best team is. 

Problem is we are losing so many players in the summer, have a couple of long term injuries and have some high profile signings out on loan. The team we have available sort of picks itself at the moment now. Yet in the summer after getting players back from injury (Amartey, Albrighton), loan (Silva, Slimani, Benkovic), and signed some new players (Striker, Left back and CM). He's quite likely going to have 8 or 9 players available for selection that aren't now, so that process of knowing his 11 can't really start until then.

He believes in himself which comes across as arrogant at times, but I want him to instill into the younger players that they don't need to jump ship for Man City and Chelsea to be a success, and that they can achieve things here. 

Its the 1st time I can remember that we've hired a manager considered a coup, our managers always seem to be unsurprising, uninspiring, underwhelming.

The wider audience's reaction to the appointment shows maybe we have somebody who might just be 'better than us' but he's ours now so let's utilise it.

• Like 1

Tough one to weigh up about 7th place. We could still get it which would be great to get in Europe but how much could it potentially hamper Rodgers' 1st pre season if we've got to play Europa league games in July. Add in the fact that Maguire and Chilwell will be playing for England in the nation's cup games, part of me doesn't want us to get 7th. 

1 minute ago, wardyfox86 said:

He believes in himself which comes across as arrogant at times, but I want him to instill into the younger players that they don't need to jump ship for Man City and Chelsea to be a success, and that they can achieve things here. 

Its the 1st time I can remember that we've hired a manager considered a coup, our managers always seem to be unsurprising, uninspiring, underwhelming.

The wider audience's reaction to the appointment shows maybe we have somebody who might just be 'better than us' but he's ours now so let's utilise it.

Well it shows we are moving up in the world he matches the owners ambitions otherwise why would he be here, this perception that he is joining a mid table team is wrong, our owners have sights set higher long term.

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Well it shows we are moving up in the world he matches the owners ambitions otherwise why would he be here, this perception that he is joining a mid table team is wrong, our owners have sights set higher long term.

I agree. But it feels now like we have a manager who wants to bring LCFC up to the level he believes he is at, rather than bringing somebody in who matches the clubs current stature.

We could so easily have dipped into the mid table Premier league manager tombola and come out with an Allardyce or a Pardew. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Only real expectation is that we're no where near relegation and that he has a good understanding of the squad by May ready to build. 

I don't really want to go in to the summer with him still unsure who is best team is. 

I do!!!   It's all about perspective...If you build a decent squad...A top manager will know 95% of his squad..ie .Bbone of first thoughts ... Up to 9-12 players,

This summer,we need to see how he wants to shape the team & squad., Taking into account there will be summer inclusions,loans coming back,

and players moving on...Rodgers 1st season will be 19/20 season.

Even with Puel,there wouldn't be completion..   This squad in my mind is giving Rodgers not more than 80% ,maybe a solid 80% that's all down to

Opinions...

It's a myth that good "also ran" team managers,even top 4 , know their 1st 12players. That's what also made "our" title year unique,even there we

Brought in other players for injury and suspension reasons!!! Plus look at Pep &Klopps teams!!

IMO , most good teams,work on a solid base of  7-8 players, top 8 teams will know automatically ,the obvious cover,but it never covers 1st 12.

Plus Rodgers/any manager will still be in a rebuilding phase. 

Our whole squad as still a long way to go!!  We shouldn't underestimate the work Rodgers team need,just to get started. Yes we have a good base,

but in the end,he will know more what he wants,and the fans will as always have to show patience...

In our Engine room yesterday...Ndidi wasn't on it,Tielemans faded,Maddison faded in and out of the game. Was as Vardy & Gray.

Plus Tielemans is not a Leicester player. And we have Mendy & Choudry Rodgers will want to see more of,or not..!

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

For me I think success under Rodgers would be when the media start saying "Big 7".

You're setting yourself up for disappointment... Why have such high expectations? Aspire for more, yes, believe that we *could* make it, and that the club will try their best to achieve it, but you're asking something nigh on impossible if your measurement of success is becoming a part of the Top 6

6 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

He will definitely have an eye on Man City away, final home game for them - and what he can do to potentially assist his former club LFC in their title aspirations.

I was thinking about this. I wonder if deep down he'd prefer Liverpool not to win it, considering he just fell short there. 

44 minutes ago, Corky said:

To get towards 50 points

Two or three really good home wins

Players like Ghezzal and Iheanacho starting to fit in and showing some consistency- if Rodgers can get a tune out of those two it could save some good money.

I honestly think both the player's mentioned will be quickly offloaded in the summer... Rightly so too! 

Steady the ship, assess what is required to push on, push the players we have got to perform to their best of abilities. Attach next season. We do not want to finish 7th this season if it allows us into Europe.

Let's get set up and ready to challenge for 6th/7th next year and give it our best shot in the cup competitions.

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Tough one to weigh up about 7th place. We could still get it which would be great to get in Europe but how much could it potentially hamper Rodgers' 1st pre season if we've got to play Europa league games in July. Add in the fact that Maguire and Chilwell will be playing for England in the nation's cup games, part of me doesn't want us to get 7th. 

Personally think 7th is a bit of a poisoned chalice. 7th placed teams playing three ties just to get into the Europa League "proper" seem to struggle in the league. Best to leave it this season, 50+ points would be acceptable I believe and go for it bigtime 19/20. Plus as mentioned respect the cups, which Puel didn't.

• Like 1