Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

2 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

The same place we got 12.5 for ghezzal

That boat has sailed. You seem very good at spending other people's money as if it's a game of football manager. Try and think of it as a businessman and you'll be halfway there. Would you not think the 16m would be better spent towards a valid future replacement for Vardy rather than a quick expensive fix? Don't get me wrong, I think that Rondon is a really good player and a good plan B but I don't think he's financially viable.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Does anyone think we’ll sign some players on loan this summer?

We’ve had a few over the years haven’t we.. Dyer, Dragovic, Tielemans.. 

It hasn't really been part of our model to do so but Rodgers has utilized the loan market a lot in some of his jobs so we may well do. Especially if we dont have quite as much of a transfer budget as some would think.

43 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

That boat has sailed. You seem very good at spending other people's money as if it's a game of football manager. Try and think of it as a businessman and you'll be halfway there. Would you not think the 16m would be better spent towards a valid future replacement for Vardy rather than a quick expensive fix? Don't get me wrong, I think that Rondon is a really good player and a good plan B but I don't think he's financially viable.

I don’t know where you’ve been pal but 16mil isn’t a lot in today’s market and if you’ve not already forgotten the club announced record profits just last year. If you want to be up there with the big boys you’ve got to invest into the squad not just the future. Cheers 

Edited by Clarkey123

9 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

I don’t know where you’ve been pal but 16mil isn’t a lot in today’s market and if you’ve not already forgotten the club announced record profits just last year. If you want to be up there with the big boys you’ve got to invest into the squad not just the future. Cheers 

16m isn't a lot in the market agreed but it's easy to be flippant about it and what it's being spent on when it's not your own money and merely building a supporters 'wish list' rather than looking at it from a good business perspective which is absolutely how it should be. Supporters on here appear to range in what they want from 1-2 attacking midfielders, a winger and 1-2 strikers. It ain't going to happen.  With the exception of the one year when we spent big and bought poorly, it is possible to see roughly what we spend on average net per year allowing for income from the sale of other players. Some supporters may think it's not enough but, those supporters also have to recognise that our football club, as important as I'm sure it is to our owners,  it's not the be all and end all and they have other projects and expenditures. I would suggest that  Tielemans, if we were to buy him, notwithstanding that we may get a 10m input from the ageing Silva who they'll know we badly want rid of, our owners would still perhaps have to stump up 30-40m to get him. Without the sale of an important player to us, I would suggest that would be a good way to the total amount of money they'll want to spend in total and I for one wouldn't judge them for that. If they were to invest another 20m for example, taking into account the current philosophy of recent purchases,  I don't forsee them squandering 16.5m on Rondon who, as decent at he is,  is still a player towards the arse end of his career in real terms. They have caught a cold on their more ageing signings like Slimani and Silva but seemingly rescued some money at least from Iborra. I can't see them spending 16.5m on a player who will have no resale value, but can see them buying a Che Adams or even more on a Tammy Abrahams type investment  (not necessarily those two in particular). They are not going to shell out until they've recouped something from our duds who are going to be very difficult to shift.

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

16m isn't a lot in the market agreed but it's easy to be flippant about it and what it's being spent on when it's not your own money and merely building a supporters 'wish list' rather than looking at it from a good business perspective which is absolutely how it should be. Supporters on here appear to range in what they want from 1-2 attacking midfielders, a winger and 1-2 strikers. It ain't going to happen.  With the exception of the one year when we spent big and bought poorly, it is possible to see roughly what we spend on average net per year allowing for income from the sale of other players. Some supporters may think it's not enough but, those supporters also have to recognise that our football club, as important as I'm sure it is to our owners,  it's not the be all and end all and they have other projects and expenditures. I would suggest that  Tielemans, if we were to buy him, notwithstanding that we may get a 10m input from the ageing Silva who they'll know we badly want rid of, our owners would still perhaps have to stump up 30-40m to get him. Without the sale of an important player to us, I would suggest that would be a good way to the total amount of money they'll want to spend in total and I for one wouldn't judge them for that. If they were to invest another 20m for example, taking into account the current philosophy of recent purchases,  I don't forsee them squandering 16.5m on Rondon who, as decent at he is,  is still a player towards the arse end of his career in real terms. They have caught a cold on their more ageing signings like Slimani and Silva but seemingly rescued some money at least from Iborra. I can't see them spending 16.5m on a player who will have no resale value, but can see them buying a Che Adams or even more on a Tammy Abrahams type investment  (not necessarily those two in particular). They are not going to shell out until they've recouped something from our duds who are going to be very difficult to shift.

If you look at the premier league table the top 10 are all relatively big spenders bar spurs who already have quality from the academy and previous seasons spendings. The point is that 16million on a proven premier league scorer isn’t a massive gamble, west ham shelled out 25 on arnautovic who’s now 30 because he’s proven in the league. There’d be more chance squandering by paying over the odds for players who look good in other leagues, but can’t cut it in the prem(as we’ve seen) . Paying a relatively low amount for a striker who scores goals and has different attributes to what we have in vardy and iheanacho doesn’t seem that risky from a business point to me. You’re right it’s not my money but I’m sure Rodgers was told he’s going to be able to build somewhat of a squad here in allowing some of the deadwood to leave and cutting the wage bill to free up space for players he wants.

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

If you look at the premier league table the top 10 are all relatively big spenders bar spurs who already have quality from the academy and previous seasons spendings. The point is that 16million on a proven premier league scorer isn’t a massive gamble, west ham shelled out 25 on arnautovic who’s now 30 because he’s proven in the league. There’d be more chance squandering by paying over the odds for players who look good in other leagues, but can’t cut it in the prem(as we’ve seen) . Paying a relatively low amount for a striker who scores goals and has different attributes to what we have in vardy and iheanacho doesn’t seem that risky from a business point to me. You’re right it’s not my money but I’m sure Rodgers was told he’s going to be able to build somewhat of a squad here in allowing some of the deadwood to leave and cutting the wage bill to free up space for players he wants.

But you're advocating spending £16.5m on someone who will be a back up to Vardy and will be 30 when the season starts getting underway.

There are just so many ways better to spend such a sum of money on a reserve player whose value is only going one way. I'd much rather see us buying a 19-20 year old for a similar amount of money who can come in and be an understudy to Vardy and maybe replace him a couple of years down the line or be sold for at least the fee we paid for him. 

I wouldn't be signing any 30 year old for £16.5m unless they just walk into the team. Anyway I still can see us not bothering with a striker this season and BR putting his faith in Iheanacho to improve. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gerard said:

But you're advocating spending £16.5m on someone who will be a back up to Vardy and will be 30 when the season starts getting underway.

There are just so many ways better to spend such a sum of money on a reserve player whose value is only going one way. I'd much rather see us buying a 19-20 year old for a similar amount of money who can come in and be an understudy to Vardy and maybe replace him a couple of years down the line or be sold for at least the fee we paid for him. 

I wouldn't be signing any 30 year old for £16.5m unless they just walk into the team. Anyway I still can see us not bothering with a striker this season and BR putting his faith in Iheanacho to improve. 

Haven’t we already tried that with iheanacho? Putting our faith in him to lead the line if vardy gets injured seems the biggest gamble. We rely heavily on vardy for our goals. I’m saying we need an option who’s guaranteed to chip in whilst also adding another dimension to the squad in a target man 

Edited by Clarkey123

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Agree with this.  All arguments aside don't think there is any danger of Rodgers spending that sort of money on a 30 year old target man, absolutely no chance of it, not even with Congerton around lol!

There's another Monaco player called Youssef Ait Bennasser who went out loan to St Etienne in January and led them to CL football. A DM who is extremely good on the ball and can also get stuck in. Basically imagine if Ndidi could pass and control the ball in tight spaces. 

He is 22 and his contract runs out this summer so he will go on a free. 

Arsenal and Spurs were linked with him in January.

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

Agree with this.  All arguments aside don't think there is any danger of Rodgers spending that sort of money on a 30 year old target man, absolutely no chance of it, not even with Congerton around lol!

I just hope we don’t get another iheanacho then if rodgers does decide to spend big on a young striker 

6 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

I agree on almost everything actually I'm not being awkward ? Yes he's a good player, yes he'd be good for us as he's proven and different to what we've got and I actually think he's worth that money for all the reasons you say. I just don't see our owners doing it for the reasons given which I can understand. I think they'll be some twists and turns as I also think you and others are right in thinking that Rodgers must have been promised something reasonable to come here. They may not even want to do the deal for Tielemans at the price given and prefer to bring in three players instead. If we don't sell Maguire I can't see more than 60m.

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

I still can see us not bothering with a striker this season and BR putting his faith in Iheanacho to improve. 

IMO that would be crazy.  We have one proven finisher, with paper-thin cover.  We were 6th in shots but 11th in goals.  We are at risk in the PL, and would be poseurs in Europe, without another productive CF.  Counting on a massive turnaround by Iheanacho is a bet, not insurance.

Our objective is Europe.  But Vardy is at an age where his workload needs managed.  Thursday football in qualifying rounds would not be something to add to his plate, without shooting our PL selves in the head.  Or, if he were injured …

It’s hard to argue that a rotational striker should be a higher priority than a starting, pure winger.  Still, we need to get something done at a reasonable price.  Someone like Adams if available and ready to be JV’s understudy.  But failing that, I’d rather go into the season with Rondon -- who at least seeks the ball, and produces goals and assists at this level -- than just Kelechi.

A big part of Kelechi’s issue is lack of consistent and adequate game time.

All players suffer a drop in form and performance in this situation, some more than others.

Rondon (or any other backup striker) would have the same issue, which means there’s no guarantee that they’d be any better than Kelechi if they joined us.

I’d just keep Kelechi personally. And hope that if Vardy is out for a prolonged period of time that his form will pick up after a couple of games. A different backup striker would be new to the team and also not fully match fit so any top 6 challenge would be gone either way. Use the money elsewhere.

Edited by brucey

We need to look at the bigger picture striker wise. There will come a time when Vardy's legs go and we need to be in a position to replace him. For example v Man City he looked knackered after about an hour in my opinion. 

I think we need an option for next season who can be trusted to lead the line in almost rotation with Vards. I would also get a young lad to be third choice striker and then loan Nacho out.