Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

35 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I think if he stays and doesn’t kick up a fuss, he’ll go to Man City for less than we’re asking this window. Top seems like a fair man and mutual respect will go a long way. 

I think this may be the case. Man City don't really spend 80 million on any player, at least not yet. They spend an awful lot but most of their players are in the 40-60 million bracket. I can see him going there either in January or next summer for around 50million.

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Starting to think that if Evans can stay fit, we would be ok for Soyuncu to step into Maguire's place. He certainly wouldn't be straight replacement from day one (No-one realistic would be), but feel he would get there within the space of a season.

If we are serious about a top 6 attempt, then it has to happen this season, we have to think that it’s likely Vardy’s last as the leading striker, being 34 the season after. We will end up having to relent on the odd player pushing for moves.

For me we can’t use this season as a chance to blood players in that fashion. Especially when they’ve basically shown themselves to have huge errors in them every single game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think this may be the case. Man City don't really spend 80 million on any player, at least not yet. They spend an awful lot but most of their players are in the 40-60 million bracket. I can see him going there either in January or next summer for around 50million.

How long was his contract last summer?

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

How long was his contract last summer?

Long. That's why in 12 months he would be cheaper. We're playing a long game here but if Man City really want him they will eventually get him. So long as Pep remains.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

If we are serious about a top 6 attempt, then it has to happen this season, we have to think that it’s likely Vardy’s last as the leading striker, being 34 the season after. We will end up having to relent on the odd player pushing for moves.

For me we can’t use this season as a chance to blood players in that fashion. Especially when they’ve basically shown themselves to have huge errors in them every single game.

Think the bit in bold is slightly overstating it, but I get the jist, he does make mistakes, and this won`t change by sitting on the bench or even in the u21s.

Harry is not the faultless individual some now seem intent on making him, he is our best defender as the whole package, but his defensive side has flaws.

The point about this season being our one/best chance - I sincerely hope you are wrong.

If we bank everything on this single season, our single chance to upset the applet cart, then its a fairly sh*tty strategy. The nature of squad is one ripe for internal growth due its age and potential.

This is by far the best squad in the EPL which can, on its own, with good coaching - improve significantly without further signings (Once Brendan has got his last one of two in to complete his setup)

Just my personal thoughts, but if its not true, why bring Bredan in (A man well known for improving youth), rather than a more instantn impact guy?

I feel we are targetting organic growth once all the pieces are in place, and the "this season is it" mentality is a fan thing only. :thumbup:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I think if he stays and doesn’t kick up a fuss, he’ll go to Man City for less than we’re asking this window. Top seems like a fair man and mutual respect will go a long way. 

13 minutes ago, reynard said:

I can't see that happening at all. Riyad once said that in order to leave here, players essentially need to go to war with the club, and I don't disagree with that. Our last three marquee player sales - Kante, Drinky, Mahrez. First one got out thanks to a clause and that annoyed us so much we banned all clauses thereafter. Other two had to kick up a massive stink to leave. If Riyad hadn't gone on strike he'd absolutely still be here, we wouldn't be selling him for 50m to Man City this summer as 'thanks' for not kicking up a fuss. Our owners are ambitious businessmen who want to keep our best players. From how the window has gone so far, Top is not going to be any more lax on this than Vichai. If anything it's even harder for anyone we want to keep to leave now. Top was at the Cambridge game, he heard those chants of HM we want you to stay, and will be even less keen to sell now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, reynard said:

Long. That's why in 12 months he would be cheaper. We're playing a long game here but if Man City really want him they will eventually get him. So long as Pep remains.

That depends on how desperate Man Utd become. If, in January, they are struggling they will still pay the asking price and maybe more, if they’re not we won’t have lost anything because, as been stated by the manager(someone who really is ITK) we don't need to sell which probably means the funding is there already for the stadium expansion and the training ground and future players in the positions he wants to strengthen.

Edited by yorkie1999

4 minutes ago, BirminghamFox said:

Going to Man United WAS and always will be a lure for players BUT.... there’s never been a less attractive time for a player to go there! 

OGS is not a proven manager and there is trouble within the camp... and I can’t see them being in the top 5 this season.

Harry seriously needs to look at his best options and that is probably a move to Man City or stay here... 

... the opportunity to go to United at this moment and be part of a rebuild would be an attractive proposition for HM!

Going to Man. City would be more daunting as they are as good as complete but without Kompany. Establishing yourselves in that environment carries more pressure and possible failure. 

The easier option would be to choose United and become an experienced head in a youthful team where he could grow with, and lead in time. 

United fell away at the back end of last season after an unbelievable start under OGS. I think we are vastly under playing their ability to compete this season with them being a target we will need to be chasing. If we finished ahead of them then we would have to be in the top three. 

I stated previously that United needs an opportunity to save face in this stand off and the injury to Bailly gives them that. They can now use the narrative that they needed to find immediate cover and time did not afford them the luxury of sourcing players (who they had no doubt deemed not to have been good enough) . 

This situation benefits no one, and a conclusion as at today, in the for of an ultimatum to send a message to all suitors, needs to be in place, so for our part we can go into the new season knowing our strengths. 

We (the club) need to take control of the narrative and the situation!! 

38 minutes ago, reynard said:

Why on Earth would we flog him for nearly half price in a few months time?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

I can't see that happening at all. Riyad once said that in order to leave here, players essentially need to go to war with the club, and I don't disagree with that. Our last three marquee player sales - Kante, Drinky, Mahrez. First one got out thanks to a clause and that annoyed us so much we banned all clauses thereafter. Other two had to kick up a massive stink to leave. If Riyad hadn't gone on strike he'd absolutely still be here, we wouldn't be selling him for 50m to Man City this summer as 'thanks' for not kicking up a fuss. Our owners are ambitious businessmen who want to keep our best players. From how the window has gone so far, Top is not going to be any more lax on this than Vichai. If anything it's even harder for anyone we want to keep to leave now. Top was at the Cambridge game, he heard those chants of HM we want you to stay, and will be even less keen to sell now.

I think next summer £70m would do it. (I know you quoted @reynard but he was elaborating in my point). Which would be about right with a year less on his contract. Man City (if they don’t buy a CB this summer, would probably stretch to that. 

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

I never got the impression that the club was particularly bothered about Drinkwater leaving, just the timing of it.

Other than that, I agree - we've started to show a very ruthless streak in making it very hard for players to leave if we don't want them to. Which is great in terms of us not being seen as a pushover, but may put some players off from joining us. It's something we need to manage carefully.

48 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Starting to think that if Evans can stay fit, we would be ok for Soyuncu to step into Maguire's place. He certainly wouldn't be straight replacement from day one (No-one realistic would be), but feel he would get there within the space of a season.

Why is no one mentioning Amartey as a possible Maguire replacement ?  An experienced (International) Centre Back - who has simply never been played as a Centre Back by previous Managers at City.  When he is fully fit, who's to say if BR might be the first here, who recognises his experience and ability as Centre Back and decides to give him a go there alongside Evans.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bald reynard said:

Why is no one mentioning Amartey as a possible Maguire replacement ?  An experienced (International) Centre Back - who has simply never been played as a Centre Back by previous Managers at City.  When he is fully fit, who's to say if BR might be the first here, who recognises his experience and ability as Centre Back and decides to give him a go there alongside Evans.

Judging by where Rodgers played Amartey when he came on, he sees him more in the Mendy position.

Edited by Dahnsouff

Just now, bald reynard said:

Why is no one mentioning Amartey as a possible Maguire replacement ?  

Because he's nowhere near good enough.

If he was even close to being a top 6 centre back we wouldn't have even considered buying Soyunco and Bdenkovic who are both miles better than Amartey.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I never got the impression that the club was particularly bothered about Drinkwater leaving, just the timing of it.

Other than that, I agree - we've started to show a very ruthless streak in making it very hard for players to leave if we don't want them to. Which is great in terms of us not being seen as a pushover, but may put some players off from joining us. It's something we need to manage carefully.

I agree with you, it is a fine balance between not holding back a player and not being taken up the rear by the likes of ManC / ManU and Liverpool.  As long as players understand that WE must receive good value without inserting 'Buy-out' clauses, you would hope they understand our position and the importance of them honoring a lucrative contract.

9 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

My memory might be failing me, but I remember some "ITK"s posting that DD made quite a fuss behind the curtains to get his move to Chelsea and it was him who said that a player would have to go to war to leave the club.

It doesn't change things much, we're now known to not budge and only let a player go if the demands are met.

2 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

My memory might be failing me, but I remember some "ITK"s posting that DD made quite a fuss behind the curtains to get his move to Chelsea and it was him who said that a player would have to go to war to leave the club.

It doesn't change things much, we're now known to not budge and only let a player go if the demands are met.

Well, looking at how his move turned out, it was something of a pyrrhic victory at best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Well, looking at how his move turned out, it was something of a pyrrhic victory at best.

That's for sure. Can't blame him for trying his luck but it was never going to work.

Edit: His bank account might not complain much though.

Edited by That_Dude

44 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think the bit in bold is slightly overstating it, but I get the jist, he does make mistakes, and this won`t change by sitting on the bench or even in the u21s.

Harry is not the faultless individual some now seem intent on making him, he is our best defender as the whole package, but his defensive side has flaws.

The point about this season being our one/best chance - I sincerely hope you are wrong.

If we bank everything on this single season, our single chance to upset the applet cart, then its a fairly sh*tty strategy. The nature of squad is one ripe for internal growth due its age and potential.

This is by far the best squad in the EPL which can, on its own, with good coaching - improve significantly without further signings (Once Brendan has got his last one of two in to complete his setup)

Just my personal thoughts, but if its not true, why bring Bredan in (A man well known for improving youth), rather than a more instantn impact guy?

I feel we are targetting organic growth once all the pieces are in place, and the "this season is it" mentality is a fan thing only. :thumbup:

This is our best chance for a while and it is a crucial season.  If we fail to qualify for Europe as a minimum this season then next summer I can see the likes of Chilwell, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans et al having their heads turned and it will be hard to keep hold of all of them.  Then we enter into another transitonal period for two or three years.  All that with Jamie Vardy who isn't getting any younger.

Make no mistake, this season is huge for us.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nnfox said:

This is our best chance for a while and it is a crucial season.  If we fail to qualify for Europe as a minimum this season then next summer I can see the likes of Chilwell, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans et al having their heads turned and it will be hard to keep hold of all of them.  Then we enter into another transitonal period for two or three years.  All that with Jamie Vardy who isn't getting any younger.

Make no mistake, this season is huge for us.

Every season in the Premier League is huge.