Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

10 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

You can't afford to be missing penalties frequently in the premier league or air your laundry in public and it is the managers job not to let it get to that point. Pogba missed three last season so coming into this new season it makes sense to switch it to someone else and Solskjaer has gone all in on Rashford by getting rid of Lukaku. Having him as the penalty taker would help solidify him as the main man and give Ole a bit more authority which he really needs. I think it shows a lack of attention to detail too, he sounded a bit like Kevin Keegan when he explained it.

Also, the main penalty taker needs to know they can miss one and not be taken off penalties. Vardy knows that he can miss one and not have Maddison breathing down his neck and doesn't need that extra pressure on him either. If your missing several then look at it again but Rashford hasn't missed one yet.

Surely having competition of the takers means they need to stay sharp and continue scoring? 

You back Rashford  (having taken 2 senior penalties) or Pogba who has taken a huge number more? Letting them sort it unless something goes wrong. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Surely having competition of the takers means they need to stay sharp and continue scoring? 

You back Rashford  (having taken 2 senior penalties) or Pogba who has taken a huge number more? Letting them sort it unless something goes wrong. 

Has Rashford really only taken 2? I swear he I remember more than that! I always thought Pogba was their peno taker but of late I recall Rashford bagging them, most notably in injury time of their last 16 tie in the CL away at PSG. Nerves of steel.

Another player racially abused on social media after missing a penalty/opportunity. We're a few weeks into the season and we're already up to about 4 players.

Whilst it does need sorting, Maguire's idea is a tad too extreme for me. A simpler solution would be to set up a bot of some sort that picks up on words and phrases and bans posts prior to them being posted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought we used to have 2 , Vardy and Mahrez.

After Claudio got appointed Mahrez was our designated penalty taker until he eventually got replaced by Vardy after he went through a bad run. I think Vardy scored several during his goal scoring run but I think only one of those was when Riyad was on the pitch when Mahrez was going to take it and was convinced otherwise due to the streak. More than happy to be corrected if wrong but I don't recall there ever being much debate about it on the pitch and if Mahrez was on the pitch he pretty much always took them.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Has Rashford really only taken 2? I swear he I remember more than that! I always thought Pogba was their peno taker but of late I recall Rashford bagging them, most notably in injury time of their last 16 tie in the CL away at PSG. Nerves of steel.

I swear I read/heard that the PSG penalty was the first senior Man United penalty he'd taken. 

Edited by UniFox21

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Another player racially abused on social media after missing a penalty/opportunity. We're a few weeks into the season and we're already up to about 4 players.

Whilst it does need sorting, Maguire's idea is a tad too extreme for me. A simpler solution would be to set up a bot of some sort that picks up on words and phrases and bans posts prior to them being posted.

I am sure the authorities can figure out who posted something on social media if they really want. They are already watching everything we do. It's whether they want to.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

That is what training is for! You have to be prepared on match days, you can't just wing it. For all we know Rashford could be doggo at them in training but I would be very surprised if that was the case. Pogba has taken enough poor penalties for Utd to give somone else a chance.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Solskjaer coming out and saying that Pogba and Rashford are both designated penalty takers shows the lack of authority he has in that dressing room.

The manager and the players together will agree on penalty takers, at least 2, sometimes more. The first penalty taker should always take penalties if on the pitch, unless they decide for whatever reason that they don't fancy it (maybe got a knock or having a bad game). Then it goes to number 2 taker.

Remember when Mitrovic had the ball taken off him last season by whoever that player was, and he went on to miss. That is ultimately embarrassing and Ranieri looked like a fool.

55 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This is simply bullshit.

There are 2 or 3 other teams in arguably better positions than United. This is just another case of blowing smoke up their ass.

The media loving for United is incredible. I totally understood it when Fergie was there and they were winning everything but now they are absolute shite are not much better than the likes of us and Everton. There is a much bigger gap between the top 2 and United than there is between United and us and Everton 

5 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

That is what training is for! You have to be prepared on match days, you can't just wing it. For all we know Rashford could be doggo at them in training but I would be very surprised if that was the case. Pogba has taken enough poor penalties for Utd to give somone else a chance.

I wouldn't call having 2 designated penalty takers as winging it.

Both on the pitch, they should choose whose having it.

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I saw a stat yesterday.

Rashford has taken 6 penalties and scored 6

Pogba has taken 15 and scored 10

39 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Less ambiguous than now. As long as rules are clear, there is no ambiguity, just like the handball rule. And people moan about it...

I’m not saying the rules are right, but the new handball rule has no ambiguity at all. 

46 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

They are just people looking for attention. Hiding behind their computers. Easy to say when you're not the target but it would good if they could just be ignored.

I tend to agree. It's so obviously wrong but to give it any attention is crediting the abuser/s with some sort of relevance

Again though, as you say it's easier to say when you're not the target

Edited by foxfanazer

Last week in our Europa League game, Cutrone won a penalty and immediately grabbed the ball and asked Neves (designated penalty taker) if he could have it. Neves let him and walked away, but Nuno shouted at them from the bench and made Neves take it. Which he scored. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

The meltdown over this penalty rubbish is one of the worst I can remember. Genuine non story. They've not even argued over the pen

• No VAR controversy
  • Man Utd = NUMBERS
  • No midweek football to focus on
  • Debate about Spurs-Man City VAR died when IFAB said they wouldn't look at the rule
  • Man Utd = NUMBERS
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Merson’s claiming on SSN that Pukki will get 20-25 goals this season, I’d be very surprised if he gets close to that. Looks a good finisher but 20-25 in a side that will likely finish in the bottom 5? Seems unlikely, and slightly OTT judgement. 

Almost as bizarre as his apology to Maguire.

I usually don’t mind his ‘bloke down the pub’ persona as he can be a bit of a laugh but talk some sense now and then, but Merse really ain’t on form this season. 

I'm glad to see Pukki do well as he always seemed like a decent guy but he was absolutely terrible for us and it's pretty mad seeing him having ripped up the championship and now going on to score goals at EPL level.

That said would be amazed if the goals didn't dry up somewhat as Norwich are inevitably going to struggle for long periods of the season.

I think Merse dines out on the whole "i'm not very bright" act now and you can see some of it is obviously forced.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I'm glad to see Pukki do well as he always seemed like a decent guy but he was absolutely terrible for us and it's pretty mad seeing him having ripped up the championship and now going on to score goals at EPL level.

That said would be amazed if the goals didn't dry up somewhat as Norwich are inevitably going to struggle for long periods of the season.

I think Merse dines out on the whole "i'm not very bright" act now and you can see some of it is obviously forced.

Sadly it isn’t ......

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Merson’s claiming on SSN that Pukki will get 20-25 goals this season, I’d be very surprised if he gets close to that. Looks a good finisher but 20-25 in a side that will likely finish in the bottom 5? Seems unlikely, and slightly OTT judgement. 

I usually don’t mind his ‘bloke down the pub’ persona as he can be a bit of a laugh but talk some sense now and then, but Merse really ain’t on form this season. 

Pukki is not getting 20+ but I can see him get 15 if he has a good season here. I think he will be what keeps Norwich up if they iron out some of the amateur defensive mistakes as well.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

i seem to remember charlie austin almsot got 20 with a relegated QPR some time back. so not impossible. he'll probably end up with about 15 tho

Edited by don_danbury

40 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

i seem to remember charlie austin almsot got 20 with a relegated QPR some time back. so not impossible. he'll probably end up with about 15 tho

Ah but didn't you see that the oracle of football, Mark Lawrenson, predicted before the start of the season that Pukki wouldn't even score 10 goals this season?