Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 hours ago, Goober said:

Then 90% of players in the league are cheats.

Players know refs give them nothing if they don't go to ground. 

Calling him a cheat is either massively, massively hypocritical or just lacking in understanding of where the game is at.

The big difference is firstly, the extremely delayed reaction before going down, and the fact he takes a touch then starts to step away, then goes down. Also holding the wrong ankle. It was a clear dive. That is cheating. 

• Like 2

Still not convinced by Brighton and Potter, their two wins have come from playing teams at their lowest ebb at that point in time (Watford in August, Spurs now), bit fortunate with the way fixtures have fallen otherwise they'd be in the bottom 3.

11 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Most players try to deceive the ref when they feel a fair amount of contact, to be fair. I suppose it’s not cheating but just gamesmanship.

However, there’s two things wrong with the Mané one: 

• There is minimal contact and therefore it looks a terrible overreaction when he goes to ground

• The referee should be intelligent enough to realise it is an awful attempt at deception, and not give the penalty. 

Simply just isn’t enough in it to warrant a penalty. Mané may not be an outright cheat, but he has unfairly gained an advantage

Problem is that the FA and referees have fully allowed this to situation to happen. It's they who should look in the mirror, not the players who deceive.

Referees so very, very, rarely give a penalty if a player doesn't go down it's almost like referees are asking them to dive to make their job easier.

And I'm certain managers insist their players dive (or fall!) because they know the chances of getting a penalty are pretty much zero if they don't.

As for yesterday, Marc has been caught out a few times before, and playing away in front of a hostile crowd and a whistle happy referee, he should have known better.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Problem is that the FA and referees have fully allowed this to situation to happen. It's they who should look in the mirror, not the players who deceive.

Referees so very, very, rarely give a penalty if a player doesn't go down it's almost like referees are asking them to dive to make their job easier.

And I'm certain managers insist their players dive (or fall!) because they know the chances of getting a penalty are pretty much zero if they don't.

As for yesterday, Marc has been caught out a few times before, and playing away in front of a hostile crowd and a whistle happy referee, he should have known better.

They don't and won't. A pen is a big decision and a game changer, if the player doesn't go down they won't whistle.

I fully agree with this, he's been a bit hard done by but he should've kicked the ball out in the first place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is frankly retarded, you need a word with yourself mate, not anyone else. 

This wasn't a case of Mane going to ground because he was legitimately fouled and knowing the ref wouldn't give anything if he didn't. 

This was a serial diver jumping hilariously badly to the floor because he felt the slightest touch on his leg. 

It was 1000% simulation. 

Jorginho has just come the exact same in his own box to get out of trouble. 

Commentators were laughing at it deceiving the ref. 

It needs fixing, simulation needs to be clamped down on

21 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

fully agree with this, he's been a bit hard done by but he should've kicked the ball out in the first place.

I think Kasper should take some of the blame as he could see better what the situation was and started to come for the ball then backed out at the last few seconds. He should have been more decisive and either fully gone for it or told Albrighton to hoof it out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think Kasper should take some of the blame as he could see better what the situation was and started to come for the ball then backed out at the last few seconds. He should have been more decisive and either fully gone for it or told Albrighton to hoof it out.

That's a very good point. We clearly see that Albrighton was trying to cover the ball so Kasper can get it. Misunderstanding from both sides.

That said I'm not really having a go at either of them, 94 minutes, huge pressure, players are tired and a mistake has high chances to happen. No matter how disappointing we have to put that game behind us. 

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is frankly retarded, you need a word with yourself mate, not anyone else. 

This wasn't a case of Mane going to ground because he was legitimately fouled and knowing the ref wouldn't give anything if he didn't. 

This was a serial diver jumping hilariously badly to the floor because he felt the slightest touch on his leg. 

It was 1000% simulation. 

Take a look at Millwall’s penalty this weekend, incredibly similar. Leeds player crosses Millwall’s players path, minimal contact. Millwall takes an additional touch before falling to ground. Red card to Leeds player and a penalty 

Anyone saying we should react the same to Maddison. I remember him getting deserved pelters from our support at Brighton last season.

24 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Jorginho has just come the exact same in his own box to get out of trouble. 

Commentators were laughing at it deceiving the ref. 

It needs fixing, simulation needs to be clamped down on

What annoyed me most about Goober's post and that example of commentary here is that we're normalising it. 

We're calling it clever, calling it gamesmanship, implying that it's natural for a player to do that in that situation. It isn't. It's cheating. 

Maddison got absolutely hammered on here for doing it previously but only really because it got him cautioned, if it got him a pen people wouldn't moan. 

Everyone, fans of every club need to start being harder on their own players for simulation. Liverpool fans, if they took the Anfield goggles off they'd have to admit it was a dive all day long, they could turn on Mane and give him a ripping for it but they won't and we'll all go on. They're so protective and defensive of Salah, they've always got an excuse for all his dives. What's wrong with admitting that he's a great player and they love him but still wishing he wouldn't dive. 

As long as its continuously normalised as a viable tactic it'll keep happening. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I don't think we have a hope of 3rd place with Chelsea scoring this many goals. Might be a bit weak at the back but not really missing Hazard up front.

Southampton are Spuds esque though.. So you can't make a judgement based on this game.