Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

40 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think it's more down to the actual fact that 3pm Saturday games are protected by law. It's not easy to push through a change such as this so quick. 

Totally agree and understand now more information has come out on the plans. Didn't have all the information at the time of writing the post. 

3 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Surely they are going to make the games free to air on club websites. Should be able to freely stream the games on LCFC TV. 

Would work fine for the majority of the population but not for some of the older fans. Terrestrial TV would be the best solution in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Would work fine for the majority of the population but not for some of the older fans. Terrestrial TV would be the best solution in my opinion. 

Completely agree and would love that to happen. However, I can’t see it. 

1 hour ago, CUJimmy said:

No-one can be sure how this thing will pan out but if I were in charge I would rather be accused of over-reacting than not doing enough.

This summer is going to be massively disrupted so for me the priority from a football perspective is to be able to start next season as smoothly as possible so this is what I would do now:

- UEFA should scrap the Euros entirely to give national leagues the best chance to complete all the games.

- Suspend the PL for a month to see what happens.  Play the remaining matches behind closed doors if necessary/possible.

- Abandon the FA Cup.  Give the last 8 a bye into round 5 for next season and be seeded to keep us apart.

There are obviously going to be financial implications because players and staff need to be paid but Sky are not going to be refunding subscriptions so that money will still be coming in.  The FA/PL could agree a levy to support clubs lower down the pyramid.

There is the issue of ST holders and people (like me) who have got tickets for the next few games but I suspect we might have to take it on the chin.  We haven’t lost any money because it has already been spent.  I trust our club to do everything they can for us though.

All of this is secondary though to keeping people as safe and healthy as possible.

I agree that abandoning the euros is starting to look like the smart move.

However if that frees up June then there is no need to cancel the FA Cup. There is plenty of time to fit all the games in even if we have to stop everything for a month or six weeks.

11 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I'm largely for the 3pm blackout in normal circumstances but I can't understand the point of it in this scenario. Surely also it would be beneficial to just make all top flight games played behind closed doors free to air so people have no incentive to do anything but sit in their own homes and watch matches.

Plus it lifts the mood for people.

Very bizarre, it just creates ill feeling knowing they can stream the games but have decided to cut most people off from watching them.

The 3pm blackout is stupid anyway, but this takes it up a level.

Will NBC and co still have cameras at the games?

16 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Plus it lifts the mood for people.

Very bizarre, it just creates ill feeling knowing they can stream the games but have decided to cut most people off from watching them.

The 3pm blackout is stupid anyway, but this takes it up a level.

Will NBC and co still have cameras at the games?

The majoirty just use the same cameras. 

The end of the day if the came is filmed (which all obviously are) there will be a stream somewhere. 

6 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Surely they are going to make the games free to air on club websites. Should be able to freely stream the games on LCFC TV. 

Wouldn’t half of a housebound UK would be trying to stream the matches?  Not sure adequate technology would be available, especially on short notice.  The demand on lcfc.com for Man U - LCFC on the last matchweek would be 100x that for a summer friendly.

Amazon is the only platform shown able to deliver this content, in high volume, to this audience.  And that had its hiccups. 

Edited by KingsX

48 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Presume there's nothing stopping us getting permission from Watford to postpone if we feel our players are a risk? Don't see how Man City/Arsenal gets postponed and we have to play with (potentially) our entire squad at risk??

I quite agree this game and others will be postponed, especially after Arteta's positive test.

Just now, StanSP said:

Emergency meeting to be held by PL tomorrow morning.

“Morning. Thanks for coming everyone....so are we suspending it then? Yeah. Thought so. See you all in The Algarve in June” 

I can't work out if it's easier or more difficult to cancel the Euros with it being held in about 20 different countries. 

At least its not just one nation that is missing out on millions of pounds of money from tourism so just put it back a year, in turn gives everybody a chance to lockdown until needed and finish the domestic stuff before July. 

• Like 1

The only thing I can imagine that's happened is that:

1) PL didn't know about Arteta's positive test at the time of their announcement

2) Statement made based on government announcement earlier

3) They wanted to carry on this weekend knowing ratings would soar with other leagues being cancelled

4) Following Arteta's positive test, their hand has been forced in to this 'special meeting' tomorrow and it'll indefinitely be suspended.

Postpone the league for now, hope to get it up and running again in the summer. The Euros needs to be put back a year (it's not really a Euros anyway considering it's in several different countries, that's basically extended qualifiers, so I couldn't care less about that).

If it's still a problem in the summer the fairest thing to do would be to declare the league standings as they are now. Voiding the seasons results up to this point would be a disgrace.

Neither the Premier League nor the government are covering themselves in glory here. Seems they are williing to put people's health at risk for financial reasons. We should be acting before things get out of hand, not after.

26 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Postpone the league for now, hope to get it up and running again in the summer. The Euros needs to be put back a year (it's not really a Euros anyway considering it's in several different countries, that's basically extended qualifiers, so I couldn't care less about that).

Whilst I think the best thing to do is postpone the tournament, this is hands down the weirdest take on the Euros being spread about the continent I've ever read.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Whilst I think the best thing to do is postpone the tournament, this is hands down the weirdest take on the Euros being spread about the continent I've ever read.

'weirdest take'?  lol

It's not really is it, it's pretty straight forward. The essence of an international tournament is in the host nation. It's their individual culture and the passion generated from the rarity of such a big event being in their country, with the uniqueness of fans from everywhere joining in one part of the world.

It used to be about their unique stadiums as well though this is less relevant with generic modern grounds being built all the while.

I don't even like it being spread across 2 countries frankly. But there is little difference between the qualifiers and what is supposed to be happening in the summer. It's not a proper Euros.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 2