Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

24 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Sh!t happens doesn’t it. Would you never have another partner because you experienced one failed relationship? 

I would liken it more to climbing a mountain carrying a huge pack.  As soon as you're in reach of the summit you get blown back down to the bottom.  How keen are you to start again?

I think that scrapping the league will have a hugely demoralising affect for us whilst being invigorating for the clubs who looked like going down.

It's not like we can just do it again.  We are not a Champions League club and it is difficult to see the likes of Arsenal, United and Spurs getting it so wrong again.  It has got to hit motivation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, murphy said:

I would liken it more to climbing a mountain carrying a huge pack.  As soon as you're in reach of the summit you get blown back down to the bottom.  How keen are you to start again?

I think that scrapping the league will have a hugely demoralising affect for us whilst being invigorating for the clubs who looked like going down.

It's not like we can just do it again.  We are not a Champions League club and it is difficult to see the likes of Arsenal, United and Spurs getting it so wrong again.  It has got to hit motivation.

I understand that our situation is a bit of an anomaly for us. In reality, are people genuinely going to give up on football?

I can’t answer for everyone but personally I think it’s just one to take on the chin looking at the much bigger picture and start again. 

Without getting too deep into the Covid-19 situation, it’s a real possibility that European competitions may not resume next season. I’d be gutted as I’ve been looking forward to following City around Europe next year but I wouldn’t give up football or even lose too much interest as a result. 

If they awarded Liverpool the title and then reverted to last seasons Top 4 for the CL places I (along with everyone else on here) would be majorly pi$$ed off. 

6 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

For me, completing this full season is far more important than starting any new season.

Not saying Norwich will repeat what we did but imagine this happening in 2014 when we were rooted to the bottom.

It has to be fair.

Yeah it's the only way. Can't imagine getting excited for a new season without this one being concluded

7 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

For me, completing this full season is far more important than starting any new season.

Not saying Norwich will repeat what we did but imagine this happening in 2014 when we were rooted to the bottom.

It has to be fair.

Exactly. It'll be fairer, easier and less disruptive to adjust future seasons (i.e. remove domestic cups, condense gameweeks etc) than it would to try and find some makeshift conclusion for the current season which is never going to be accepted by all clubs.

Wait for the pandemic to start to die down (by summer, hopefully) then play the remaining games behind closed doors (broadcasted) but with quick turnaround - every team playing 2-3 games per week. Easy to arrange fixtures without having to worry about travelling fans, regular seasons up and down the league can be done within a month and then another month for playoffs, a transfer window and 2-week break before getting straight back into it. Not ideal, but we'd be able to resume normal service pretty swiftly. TV companies might have to take a hit for the year whilst the fixture calendar stabilises, though, which could put a spanner in the works.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Exactly. It'll be fairer, easier and less disruptive to adjust future seasons (i.e. remove domestic cups, condense gameweeks etc) than it would to try and find some makeshift conclusion for the current season which is never going to be accepted by all clubs.

Wait for the pandemic to start to die down (by summer, hopefully) then play the remaining games behind closed doors (broadcasted) but with quick turnaround - every team playing 2-3 games per week. Easy to arrange fixtures without having to worry about travelling fans, regular seasons up and down the league can be done within a month and then another month for playoffs, a transfer window and 2-week break before getting straight back into it. Not ideal, but we'd be able to resume normal service pretty swiftly. TV companies might have to take a hit for the year whilst the fixture calendar stabilises, though, which could put a spanner in the works.

Spot on

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Good post!

TV companies are going to take a hit either way, so closed door games being broadcast is probably the best case scenario for them. Obviously scrapping the domestic cups will affect some broadcasters. However in football business terms, ITV and BBC are small fry and luckily won’t have any (maybe a slight one) effect on how this seasons PL is concluded. 

Finish this season and cups this autumn.

Start the 20/21 season on 1 Jan 2021, finishing late autumn 2021.

A short break then the Qatar winter World Cup. 

A shortened 19 game half season, then back to usual cycle for 22/23 season.

If everyone in Europe agreed, the CL and EL could fit too.

13 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Finish this season and cups this autumn.

Start the 20/21 season on 1 Jan 2021, finishing late autumn 2021.

A short break then the Qatar winter World Cup. 

A shortened 19 game half season, then back to usual cycle for 22/23 season.

If everyone in Europe agreed, the CL and EL could fit too.

Makes a lot of sense that - so it probably won't happen!

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I just hope we get a proper final table. We deserve to earn a top four spot and moreover Liverpool deserve to win the title.

Who can be arsed with the shit anti-Liverpool "banter" anyway. 

Same. It has become as 'unbearable' as they accuse Liverpool fans of being. 

I don't like any of the big clubs but it would be an absolute farce and make a mockery of the sport if Liverpool were almost flawless for well over a year but weren't crowned champions. 

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I just hope we get a proper final table. We deserve to earn a top four spot and moreover Liverpool deserve to win the title.

Who can be arsed with the shit anti-Liverpool "banter" anyway. 

I am by no means keen on Liverpool but this would be utterly tedious really and the problem is they'd have a real point.

That said I'm also strongly against awarding it to them by default as well.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

I am by no means keen on Liverpool but this would be utterly tedious really and the problem is they'd have a real point.

Well they were never going to be caught with or without Coronavirus.

47 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Imagine if this virus had struck four years ago and the league had been stopped, say, before our game at Old Trafford and we had been awarded the title ‘by default’.

I, for one, could never have accepted that. The joy is in getting over that finishing line. I’m sure Liverpool fans must feel the same.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Well they were never going to be caught with or without Coronavirus.

6 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Imagine if this virus had struck four years ago and the league had been stopped, say, before our game at Old Trafford and we had been awarded the title ‘by default’.

I, for one, could never have accepted that. The joy is in getting over that finishing line. I’m sure Liverpool fans must feel the same.

2nd quoted tweet basically answers the first. To me it would be a bit hollow.

On the suspension, it was clearly a caution first measure.

But think that people are joining crowds on a daily basis of dozens or more of people, still going to work, doing their jobs, whilst a behind closed door match, should be no more dangerous than players attending training.  25 man EPL squads, 23 men on the pitch for a game.

If players have symptoms, they should be tested instead of just a blanket 14 days isolate.

When you consider it isnt that many people together, I think this is something that could be done to finish the season, especially if managers were prepared to use reserve players.

Also one could make an argument that sport becomes an essential job, because will be feeling down right now, and sport is a distraction of positive feeling.

Player staff will obviously have anxiety, as well which is why I said do the testing, as negative test results will help reduce that.

I think eventually something will be figured and they will be able to do these games behind closed doors, especially if many clubs are still training.

Makes sense to me to complete the league season. Agree with playing games from first week in May and to play 2 games per week behind closed doors. Let the tv companies show all of the games, this fulfills contractual obligations. Forget about the cups, let the euros be put back 12 months. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Transfer period.

If as seems logical the season is resumed during the summer then transfers will not be allowed. If next season then starts in October I can see them allowing transfers throughout the first half of the season.

Will make me smile a little thinking that if they finish the season now, Villa will essentially be relegated because they have played one game less.

If VAR has given us that penalty in the semi final, Villa would have played their game in hand and theoretically could be safe.