Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

7 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Re Drinky, I remember Pearson referring to him as being quite a complicated / complex character but apparently meant it as a compliment rather than a criticism

Pearson mentioned this a few times.

Not sure if it was a compliment or a criticism, more a summing up of the player.

I suspect Pearson found him tricky to manage at times.

5 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I'm largely for the 3pm blackout in normal circumstances but I can't understand the point of it in this scenario. Surely also it would be beneficial to just make all top flight games played behind closed doors free to air so people have no incentive to do anything but sit in their own homes and watch matches.

Surely they are going to make the games free to air on club websites. Should be able to freely stream the games on LCFC TV. 

• Like 1

No-one can be sure how this thing will pan out but if I were in charge I would rather be accused of over-reacting than not doing enough.

This summer is going to be massively disrupted so for me the priority from a football perspective is to be able to start next season as smoothly as possible so this is what I would do now:

- UEFA should scrap the Euros entirely to give national leagues the best chance to complete all the games.

- Suspend the PL for a month to see what happens.  Play the remaining matches behind closed doors if necessary/possible.

- Abandon the FA Cup.  Give the last 8 a bye into round 5 for next season and be seeded to keep us apart.

There are obviously going to be financial implications because players and staff need to be paid but Sky are not going to be refunding subscriptions so that money will still be coming in.  The FA/PL could agree a levy to support clubs lower down the pyramid.

There is the issue of ST holders and people (like me) who have got tickets for the next few games but I suspect we might have to take it on the chin.  We haven’t lost any money because it has already been spent.  I trust our club to do everything they can for us though.

All of this is secondary though to keeping people as safe and healthy as possible.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KFS said:

We’re going to lose our CL qualification aren’t we :unsure:

I would bet against it, but who knows.

Spare a thought for Atalanta, who have a generational quarterfinal appearance about to be flushed when the competition is scrapped.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

I would bet against it, but who knows.

Spare a thought for Atalanta, who have a generational quarterfinal appearance about to be flushed when the competition is scrapped.

If they do scrap it, which on balance I think is better than playing behind closed doors then I hope they give all the teams left in an automatic place in next year’s group stages if they do not qualify automatically.

8 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I'm largely for the 3pm blackout in normal circumstances but I can't understand the point of it in this scenario. Surely also it would be beneficial to just make all top flight games played behind closed doors free to air so people have no incentive to do anything but sit in their own homes and watch matches.

I think it's more down to the actual fact that 3pm Saturday games are protected by law. It's not easy to push through a change such as this so quick.