Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Goes to show how ridiculous the great escape really was. 15/16 of course is the pinnacle of what we have achieved as a club, but that truly was the greatest escape so far by any club in the Premier League. We were dead and buried!

I remember during that sequence the game away to Chelsea who went onto win the title, where we took the lead and gave them a really tough game. In fact it was one of the hardest games they played that season despite winning, and it really showed how much we had improved. We really turned on the performance levels massively in that end to the season.

We weren't that far away at all in many of the games though. We played alright at Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham. A lot of bad results but not performances. It was IIRC only the performances against Swansea away and Hull at home that were downright awful.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, urban fox said:

my ideal final table would look something like this

Liverpool

Us

Man City

Wolves

sheff Utd

Unfortunately, with Man city likely banned from Europe and having already won the LC, it is still likely that Man utd and Spurs will scrape into Europa via 6 & 7th place

Yeah but Leicester, Wolves and Sheff Utd all in the Champions League with Liverpool. It would be amazing. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Goes to show how ridiculous the great escape really was. 15/16 of course is the pinnacle of what we have achieved as a club, but that truly was the greatest escape so far by any club in the Premier League. We were dead and buried!

I remember during that sequence the game away to Chelsea who went onto win the title, where we took the lead and gave them a really tough game. In fact it was one of the hardest games they played that season despite winning, and it really showed how much we had improved. We really turned on the performance levels massively in that end to the season.

The great escape was incredible. 

I remember being bouncy after west ham. Absolutely buzzing after west Brom. And Kingy scoring late v Swansea was one of the best feelings I've ever experienced in football (no joke. The sheer explosion of relief after hanging on for so long). 

As for Burnley, I was so scared of the score I didn't dare look at my phone until 6pm. When I saw we'd won, I sat in silence for about 2 minutes just drinking it in.

Those 4 weeks were amazing.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Spurs "disgracing" the Champions League tonight. Apparently we did the same in our maiden year in to the last eight if you care to listen to their fans for more than 30 seconds.....

No European football for The Spuds next season?..

Thank you God!..

Thank you so bloody much!!

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The great escape was incredible. 

I remember being bouncy after west ham. Absolutely buzzing after west Brom. And Kingy scoring late v Swansea was one of the best feelings I've ever experienced in football (no joke. The sheer explosion of relief after hanging on for so long). 

As for Burnley, I was so scared of the score I didn't dare look at my phone until 6pm. When I saw we'd won, I sat in silence for about 2 minutes just drinking it in.

Those 4 weeks were amazing.

Thought he scored against West Ham

Edited by 49er

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

West Ham were 10pts behind fourth bottom (Manchester City!!) with 10 to play and survived on the final day

Portsmouth were eight points from safety in 2006 with 10 to play and stayed up

Bradford were six points from safety with just five games to go in 2000 and stayed up (inc 10pts from last five games)

Fulham were six points from safety in 2008 with 10 to go and survived

We were seven points off safety with nine games left. It was a great escape but maybe not the greatest in the PL era.

images.jpeg.a34e595b516cef401a580f880da23b60.jpeg

Yes it was!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Let's just say they were all great escapes. Maybe we've slightly overplayed ours in light of some of the others. And winning the league the following season certainly added to the narrative.

Let's be honest ours was more the fact we spent so much of the season cast adrift with barely a result for months.

Its not like we actually lost 4 and won 1 every now and again. We basically went from being half decent, with results, v utd, everton, etc to not being able to buy a result for 5 months of the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Point taken on the points comparisons..........but............

There were other elements to our great escape, weren't there?

- We'd been rock bottom of the table for months (certainly at Xmas) & surviving from that position was almost unprecedented, wasn't it? Not sure how many of those 4 other clubs were bottom & for how long?

- Our run of form at the end of the season was ridiculous. Wasn't it W7 D1 L1 from the last 9? Not bad for bottom of the table.....

So maybe it was the greatest escape of the PL era? ;)

Or, depending on your criteria, WBA have a claim, don't they, for that year when they went into the last match rock bottom, won and stayed up after they went past 3 teams above them who all lost or drew?

On a weird personal note, my parents died about 19 months apart, Xmas 2014 and Summer 2016.

A few days before my Mum died, she asked me how LCFC were doing & I had to say we were bottom & odds-on to be relegated. 17 months later, 2-3 months before my Dad went, I was able to tell him we'd won the PL. It's a funny old game, Saint!

The one thing that takes the shine off our great escape to an extent that, to be honest, we should be proud of is that I'm pretty sure there was a record somewhere that we didn't lose a game all season by more than two goals? 

We were in games all year, that was the crazy frustration. All season we looked decent besides a few horrors where Nigel got desperate (four defensive midfielders away at Newcastle?) and like we were so close to everything just clicking.

It wasn't really a surprise to us as fans when things came good because we got promoted looking like a team that would make impact in the Prem, we even started (draw with Everton, win against United) looking like a Kloppesque team, like England's Dortmund ready to make a splash as a counter attacking force. 

The foundations of our title win were all there on show, except Ngolo, it was more a surprise we were bottom not quite clicking than that we recovered tbh.

• Like 4

On 09/03/2020 at 07:01, Matt said:

Well it’s the predicaments we get ourselves in isn’t it.

It seems like a lot woke up and joined in now though instead of burying their heads in the sand like a month or 2 ago.

Even though I used the word pessimistic I wouldn’t actually call it that, I’d call it realism and actually seeing things for what they are. People have trouble being honest with themselves though and would rather make excuses until they really have to.

Fk realism..!!! This is football....

i Love und expect the twists n turns,in sport..!!!    We have a young Based team....in This or any long season,even seasoned Teams and individuals have

long dips in form....I See no reason to get too nervous ,only when relegation comes a knocking...We have Now a group of young players,that have taken us to

that Next higher  levels...that for me is Sports realism also knowing that those dips will come...aka Man.city L'pool of their earlier years of progress...WITH BIGGER better Quality in depth...!!

Makes games like A.villa, even more enjoyable....Not only players Need to learn but also fans....

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Starting to get very seriouWell we train s now. Can genuinely see the season being suspended.

Well we train right next door to Arsenal and guess the West Ham players who played Arsenal at the weekend might want to be tested?

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think that cup run saved Smith - we've ultimately sent them down lol 

He's just not that good a manager. Was never really sold on him from the off. They've had totally predictable issues.

For how much they spent in the summer they've been awful. That's on top of a genuinely quality player in Grealish as well. They shouldn't be 19th for me.

They'll likely drop as well. Terrible run in.

• Like 1