Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

If the decision later this morning is to shelve the rest of the season, then it would perhaps be best to promote the top 2 teams in each division with NO relegations.

Next season, 4 teams will be relegated and 2 automatically promoted (with perhaps, for instance,  the next top 2 clubs in the Championship engaged in a playoff with the next 2 lowest-placed clubs in the EPL). After that (and perhaps a rescheduled Euro Championships in the summer of 2021), normality resumes - until the wacky WC interruption of 2022.

Pretty reasonable suggestion. That also gives the leagues more games which potentially means more money (though you could also argue more fatigue) to compensate for this season. 

It would push a squad like ours to it’s limits but still think this is one of the fairest suggestions out there. After all look at our great escape in 2015 - if the season ended early we’d have gone down!

Given we’re already suspending, and the epidemic is no where near its peak here and probably in the rest of Europe too (though their radically different approach to handling it will mean it has very different characteristics there), I don’t see how any leagues including CL are going to manage to complete this year. 

I think what might happen is that this season is just declared void across Europe, and it all starts again including CL participants in the same position we started this season. 

Just postpone it. Makes sense.

You can't expect teams to play a one off game for relegation and promotion. The whole point of relegation and promotion is that it's decided from a 30+ game season, not one game. Coventry have nothing, not even a ground, yet currently sit top of  League One. And you'd expect them to play Barnsley for a place in the Championship? No chance that should happen.

8 minutes ago, HereBeFoxes said:

I think what might happen is that this season is just declared void across Europe, and it all starts again including CL participants in the same position we started this season. 

I don’t think they would be able to get away with voiding it in that manner, the amount of uproar from clubs like ourselves, Liverpool, Leeds etc. would be unreal

You can’t even say finish it as it stands because then clubs like Man Utd and Villa etc who can still possibly achieve champions league/survival will then kick off

It will end up being a postponement, whether it is long term or short term, as that is realistically the only way you could do it without shafting at least 1 team in some way

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I don’t think they would be able to get away with voiding it in that manner, the amount of uproar from clubs like ourselves, Liverpool, Leeds etc. would be unreal

You can’t even say finish it as it stands because then clubs like Man Utd and Villa etc who can still possibly achieve champions league/survival will then kick off

It will end up being a postponement, whether it is long term or short term, as that is realistically the only way you could do it without shafting at least 1 team in some way

Exactly, there is no need to cancel this season. 

Even if no football can be played for six months or a year they can still finish this season. Far more important for the integrity of the sport that this season is finished properly than next season starts on time, or even that it operates a full season.

Even with the FA Cup, although it sounds a bit odd there’s nothing to stop this year’s competition from finishing after next year’s has started. Same goes for Champions League and Europa League, albeit it’s complicated slightly by the fact that the winners of each competition qualify for the following season.

My guess is that they’ll put in a month-long suspension now to get us through to the end of the planned international break with football theoretically resuming on 4 April. That doesn’t sound realistic but they won’t want to panic anybody. The Euros will either be moved or cancelled. In the event that the league can’t be finished until, say, July, they’ll push back the next season until the end of September and use it as an excuse to sack off the League Cup and FA Cup Replays.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

And you want us to carry on as normal making that situation even worse? 

Were did I say that? 

I just said a postponement of a couple of weeks isn't going to make any difference, as it's probably not going to hit it's peak around 8-10 weeks.

You can't cancel the season: that punishes the sides currently in the Top 4, the champions elect, and the sides getting promoted. 

You can't finish it prematurely and use the current table: teams in relegation/promotion/european place battles would be in uproar. 

You can't limp through and play the games anyhow: that puts players, staff and fans at risk, and compromises the integrity of the competition, with sides playing against severely weakened opposition. 

The only option is to postpone and somehow finish the season at a later date. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I would cancel the Euros. In the grand scheme of the sport it's not as important as completing the domestic leagues so we can move onto to the next season. If the Euros don't happen it doesn't really effect anything going forward, and they can just declare it null and void, as it's a stand alone competition. 

Its almost fortunate that its fallen in the year when the Euros were set to be held all across the continent - it can be more easily cancelled without impacting one country's economy too severely. Makes no sense to push ahead with it when there will be so much catching up to do for the various leagues around Europe, and not enough weeks in the year to be able to squash everything in. I'd scrap the Nations League for next year as well and just focus on getting WC2022 qualifying done.

Some domestic competitions will potentially have to take a hit as well to free up space in the calendar, so I wouldn't be surprised if next year's League/FA Cups don't go ahead (although this year's should be played to conclusion - its only 7 games/3 rounds, could be done within a week if necessary). Distribute any prize money proportionally throughout the leagues (excl. PL) so that smaller clubs don't lose potential revenue.

19 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

'weirdest take'?  lol

It's not really is it, it's pretty straight forward. The essence of an international tournament is in the host nation. It's their individual culture and the passion generated from the rarity of such a big event being in their country, with the uniqueness of fans from everywhere joining in one part of the world.

It used to be about their unique stadiums as well though this is less relevant with generic modern grounds being built all the while.

I don't even like it being spread across 2 countries frankly. But there is little difference between the qualifiers and what is supposed to be happening in the summer. It's not a proper Euros.

Right you are!

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If season gets cancelled, should just give the points to the teams who won the reverse fixtures. 

Therefore that gives us 8 wins out of the 9. 

I'm satisfied with that. 

just gonna have to wait to be shafted by the top six status quo ..........