Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

They have a large tourist following because of how good they are.

Newcastle is a massive City with no big club near them. Their arch rivals are half an hour away. Everybody born in Newcastle is gonna support Newcastle. Plus they have a big nationwide fanbase.

And the whole "passionate" thing? Is this something else Sky invented? I'm pretty sure every football fan is passionate.

Sorry you are missing the point...

It's the fact they arent tourist bait material, is a classic Northern working class area that makes it more appealing to see them upset the elite... 

And as for all fans being passionate? Wow, mate you need to attend games more often. Geordies been exceptional fans for donkeys years. Prawn sandwich brigade dont exist...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, st albans fox said:

From what I remember, it was his hangers on that ‘encouraged’ him leave us so quickly in 2016 .....

His hangers on also 'encouraged' him - aka bullied - to join us in the first place I syead of Marseille.

. Prob the 4.5m commission we paid them.had something to do with it. 

When you swim.with sharks you can't really moan about being bit.

19 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

It's the fact they arent tourist bait material, is a classic Northern working class area that makes it more appealing to see them upset the elite... 

And as for all fans being passionate? Wow, mate you need to attend games more often. Geordies been exceptional fans for donkeys years. Prawn sandwich brigade dont exist...

1970's Newcastle United used to struggle to attract 20-25,000 sometimes considerably less.

They only started to come close to full capacity after the inception of the premier league.

Born again football fans.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Can I ask why class matters? I think a lot of would have been considered working class in the past is middle class now anyway.

4 minutes ago, boots60 said:

1970's Newcastle United used to struggle to attract 20-25,000 sometimes considerably less.

They only started to come close to full capacity after the inception of the premier league.

They've always had a big away support, which is where their rep comes from. Geordies, a bit like jocks, had to.move away to find work so away following was large as they'd pull in exiled Geordies. 

The home support sky rocketed when Keegan arrived. But even so, their support had always been larger than abery. Their seemingly dreadful 1980s crowds of 16000 were good compared with our 9/10/11000 at the same time

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Loads of teams come from working class backgrounds, if not all. I don’t get your point. IF it works out for them and they end up like Man City are now they’ll end up with tourists and said prawn sandwich brigade.

Newcastle fans, top class away from home. But having been St James’ Park 4 or 5 times myself I must say they are as quiet as every other home team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

they will have the exact same problems everton have had ever since they got "the richest owner in the world". it's irrelevant these days because everyone has money. how much more money are they gonna pay for world class players than the top 6, who are actually good enough to attract good players anyway? 

how much do you think someone "world class", who for example is offered 300k a week and champions league football and trophies at chelsea or united etc. is going to need to be paid to play for newcastle? double that? a million a week? 

they will end up paying ludicrous sums on overhyped players just like everton, west ham and even we tried for a bit because they want to make sure everyone knows they've got money, but at the end of the day they aren't gonna sign anyone good for years. if ever. 

Who do we reckon? I'm going Cantwell, Pukki, Mings, Chiesa for a combined £200mil, followed up by a 0-2 loss to Burnley on the opening weekend and a 12th placed finish.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Can I ask why class matters? I think a lot of would have been considered working class in the past is middle class now anyway.

Merely a view on the way of life up there, sons friend was at uni there quite recently and his view echoed it. They simply adore their football, top, middle, bottom they all turn up en mass. Put up with so much s**t at times yet there in large numbers, making noise.

They are perhaps one of the few in top flight who still hold those beliefs. Let's be clear, we drop to the championship and were back to 22k a week. There is a fickle ness that exists for most, far less up there.

Which brings me back to my original point, if someone is going to throw themselves in to the mix as a new financial powerhouse then its more interesting to see it being a club like Newcastle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boots60 said:

Just checked as intrigued on your point.

Mid 70s Newcastle averaged 32k and were 5th behind City, Villa, liverpool and United. The latter being mid 50k and top side obviously.

I'd presume most were filling their then available capacitys or if not close.  Also in that decade the north east would have been heavily hit by miners strikes etc... not bad eh?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Who do we reckon? I'm going Cantwell, Pukki, Mings, Chiesa for a combined £200mil, followed up by a 0-2 loss to Burnley on the opening weekend and a 12th placed finish.

yeah it’ll be the usual players who play well for 6 months and their club “slap an 80 million pound price tag” on their heads to “warn off any potential buyers”. 

but if they have the money they’ll start throwing it around to prove a point, just like everton did. then they’ll end up spending loads of money but not having any good players. 

ive had this argument loads of times on here and in real life. there literally cannot be “a new man city”, cos there is already man city. if a player is any good, city or chelsea or united will buy him. for whatever money. you have to go about it how we have tried if you want to challenge these days, buy players nobody else wants or has heard of. you can’t just throw money at it, cos everyone has money. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Just checked as intrigued on your point.

Mid 70s Newcastle averaged 32k and were 5th behind City, Villa, liverpool and United. The latter being mid 50k and top side obviously.

I'd presume most were filling their then available capacitys or if not close.  Also in that decade the north east would have been heavily hit by miners strikes etc... not bad eh?

You make some interesting points but do you really need to keep referring to the Manchester club as 'City'? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I don't think Kante's 'entourage' have helped him at all. Some absolute horror stories came out about them last year, they sound like turds.

Bit of a long read but an example...

Christ...if that's all true then no wonder he didn't look the same player at Chelsea. 

It sounds like the sort of stuff that goes on in South American football, not on our shores. 

3 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah it’ll be the usual players who play well for 6 months and their club “slap an 80 million pound price tag” on their heads to “warn off any potential buyers”. 

but if they have the money they’ll start throwing it around to prove a point, just like everton did. then they’ll end up spending loads of money but not having any good players. 

ive had this argument loads of times on here and in real life. there literally cannot be “a new man city”, cos there is already man city. if a player is any good, city or chelsea or united will buy him. for whatever money. you have to go about it how we have tried if you want to challenge these days, buy players nobody else wants or has heard of. you can’t just throw money at it, cos everyone has money. 

Pretty much. Chelsea's spending when they first did it relative to the competition would be relative to Newcastle spending probably £700mil this summer. That's a guess but it'll be something stupid like that as like you say everyone's now got money. The game's moved on from any club being able to simply buy their way to a top, especially in England.

I agree as well, I think it's quite likely they go up the 'make a statement' route, bring in a couple of completely overpriced, average players and don't do anything. It took Man City I think 4 years under their current owners to win the league. It doesn't happen overnight, or in Everton's case, ever.

I'd bet very good money we finish above them next season.

• Like 1

Newcastle will only be able to spend more than they ordinarily might have been able to by increasing their sponsorship and revenue deals. They already have fairly impressive sponsorship so they'll find ways of being able to perhaps eek out another £50-100m than they would perhaps have spent but their squad is the absolute bins and it will either take a phenomenally shrewd and considered set up to get them competing or the sorts of money Man City have spent which is almost impossible for them to do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Newcastle will only be able to spend more than they ordinarily might have been able to by increasing their sponsorship and revenue deals. They already have fairly impressive sponsorship so they'll find ways of being able to perhaps eek out another £50-100m than they would perhaps have spent but their squad is the absolute bins and it will either take a phenomenally shrewd and considered set up to get them competing or the sorts of money Man City have spent which is almost impossible for them to do.

Naming the stadium .... spurs are going for a ten year 250m deal.  Newcastle will be able to justify 30m-40m /annum just for stadium naming rights. There will be plenty more dodgy sponsorship deals which will have to be accepted by the FFP authorities.....