Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

If we waste money in him and gift Celtic Benko on loan without giving him a 'good' chance here, then we may well have some internal issues surfacing, which would cause me personally to worry about our future recruitment.    This surely must be Agent BS (hopefully).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I personally think any links to defenders is the tabloids putting two and two together. They know we're selling Maguire and are just assuming we'll need a replacement. 

I think we replaced him last year and will go with what we have, especially now that Benkovic's manager from last season is our manager now. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I personally think any links to defenders is the tabloids putting two and two together. They know we're selling Maguire and are just assuming we'll need a replacement. 

I think we replaced him last year and will go with what we have, especially now that Benkovic's manager from last season is our manager now. 

Are we though? I mean the tabloids have been pretty desperate for us to sell him with the insane amount of stories they’ve produced. I still can’t see him leaving. 

I think the worry here is Benkovic ankle issues are starting to repeat, a fit Soyuncu and Benkovic, yes. But we also have to remember Wes and Evans will likely pick up knocks/injuries as they get older. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not a bad story to be out there actually, it just says if the Manchester clubs think they can buy Maguire for £70m we'll still have to use £40m to get Tarkowski so up your bids if you really want him. 

Soyuncu and Benkovic were very highly rated when we signed them and Benko was getting rave reviews at Celtic until he was injured. I think they could both be excellent for us, but if Maguire goes, I can also see us signing another CB, as how much more has Wes got to give and Evans does pick up knocks fairly often. 

I'd prefer we put faith in Benko and Soyuncu though and have Wes as 4th choice, rather than spend £40million on a Dunk or Tarkowski. I think one or both could really establish themselves here if given a chance

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Ack no more defenders please, we have 2 decent ones who deserve at least a season chance and worse case scenario if those dont pan out we could try one of our U23's, and from what i gather there a few that could make the step up... 

We also still have Morgan and Amartey... do we really NEED another if Harry goes? 

No

• Like 1

We're a team with top six aspirations, we can't rely on two inexperienced players in Soyuncu and Benkovic, one of which has no Premier League experience to get us through a season.

We have two defenders for the future, both need developing slowly, whether that's as third choice or maybe a loan spell somewhere then so be it.

Tarkowski is one player who is ready to make the step up in class, if Maguire leaves I'd have more confidence in Tarkowski partnering Evans than I would Benkovic or Soyuncu, the guy has leadership qualities, has Premier League experience and would set us up perfectly for the future.

Don't like the look of him, Madders ran rings around him a few months ago. If we really have to replace Maguire with someone English I'd raid Newcastle again for Lacselles, if it's just Premier League experience then test Bournemouth for Ake.

Prefer Dunk to Tarkowski, seems better in the air which will be the main defensive attribute we lose if Harreh goes.

On 13/05/2019 at 08:06, Fox92 said:

No.

I used to think he was solid, last season when Burnley had a solid defence, but this season whenever I've seen him he hasn't looked good. Granted, that's only when we've played them and whenever I've caught them on tv. He's no replacement for Maguire.

Totally agree with you, I don't think he is either 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Signing another CB for big money is terrible on so many levels. That's a clear message to Soyuncu and Benkovic that they aren't rated and can't be trusted. I'd love to see Soyuncu and Benkovic be that good that they formed a partnership and put Evans on the bench by the end of the season. 

Didn't Benkovic have good reviews at Celtic 

If Maguire goes we should be getting Lascelles from Newcastle. Ashley always likes selling players so £30m should do it or offer them Slimani and/or Ghezzal or any other crap we need to get off the books. 

The way I see it is this, BR will give Benko & Soyuncu opportunities to impress during pre season. It is down to them to claim a place, if we are to sign a new defender then BR doesn’t think they are ready yet. He sees the boys everyday so we have to take his judgement on it.