Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

James Maddison

5 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I wonder what ben’s new deal was ??  I doubt he will be a happy bunny (of course he will be delighted his best buddy is staying) to see his wages a fair bit lower than madders.....

the message is that if you put a high value on a player then unless you are content to lose them,  you have to pay them accordingly ..........

• Like 2

Have to say I don't understand the logic behind agents putting bs stories out in the press to push for a new contract.  If it's bs then surely the owning team are well aware because they won't have been contacted by the club in question lol 

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Have to say I don't understand the logic behind agents putting bs stories out in the press to push for a new contract.  If it's bs then surely the owning team are well aware because they won't have been contacted by the club in question lol 

I assume the laughing face indicates you are on the wind up .... however, quite a few on here believe that line of thinking!

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I assume the laughing face indicates you are on the wind up .... however, quite a few on here believe that line of thinking!

Not trying to wind anyone up, just genuinely can't understand the logic if it's something that genuinely happens.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I wonder what ben’s new deal was ??  I doubt he will be a happy bunny (of course he will be delighted his best buddy is staying) to see his wages a fair bit lower than madders.....

the message is that if you put a high value on a player then unless you are content to lose them,  you have to pay them accordingly ..........

I heard Ben’s new contract was around the same value.. 90-100k, mind you I trust sean from enderby more than the bloke who told me that :D

Edited by Mehrez

Anybody thinking we will be spending big this summer still hasn't grasped the wages issue clubs like us have. Fans seem to think we've freed up a lot of wages already but we haven't. Only Iborra, Simpson and Okazaki have left whose combined wages were probably £130k a week. The new contracts we have or are dishing out will wipe out the majority of that. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's well established that even though, they're not supposed to, most clubs make contact with the player first (through 'intermediaries') before they officially approach the club. 

It makes sense as you'd hate to put in a lot of legwork with the selling club, only to find out that the player doesn't want to join you or that his wage demands are unworkable. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Anybody thinking we will be spending big this summer still hasn't grasped the wages issue clubs like us have. Fans seem to think we've freed up a lot of wages already but we haven't. Only Iborra, Simpson and Okazaki have left whose combined wages were probably £130k a week. The new contracts we have or are dishing out will wipe out the majority of that. 

But hopefully we haven't finished yet.

If we could find a new home for Slim that would save a lot from the wage bill.  Also, King and Matty James.

Personally I would also like to move Mendy on with the emergence of Choudhury and of course Silva as part of the Tielemans deal.

1 minute ago, murphy said:

But hopefully we haven't finished yet.

If we could find a new home for Slim that would save a lot from the wage bill.  Also, King and Matty James.

Personally I would also like to move Mendy on with the emergence of Choudhury and of course Silva as part of the Tielemans deal.

Yes hopefully we move a few of the fringe players on but often it ends up as a loan which at least free's up the wages problem but the likes of Slimani and Silva we are going to lose about £40m on them if and when they leave permanently. 

Buying young players is better for many reasons but firstly the initial wages we pay them is lower than even mediocre established players like Townsend or Rodriguez. It's just that we then have to increase them significantly quite soon after when they progress, but the model should be that the odd one gets sold each season to both generate huge cash surplus to strengthen and free's up the necessary wages. See ya Harry.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danizen said:

It's well established that even though, they're not supposed to, most clubs make contact with the player first (through 'intermediaries') before they officially approach the club. 

It makes sense as you'd hate to put in a lot of legwork with the selling club, only to find out that the player doesn't want to join you or that his wage demands are unworkable. 

Steve Walsh said as much in an interview once. Saying that after identifying a player and establishing he’s within our price range they’d then make contact with the relevant people to see if he would be interested in a move to us before making an official bid. I should imagine that clubs send loads of these feelers out which is why you see so many rumours that come to nothing. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes hopefully we move a few of the fringe players on but often it ends up as a loan which at least free's up the wages problem but the likes of Slimani and Silva we are going to lose about £40m on them if and when they leave permanently. 

Buying young players is better for many reasons but firstly the initial wages we pay them is lower than even mediocre established players like Townsend or Rodriguez. It's just that we then have to increase them significantly quite soon after when they progress, but the model should be that the odd one gets sold each season to both generate huge cash surplus to strengthen and free's up the necessary wages. See ya Harry.

Not exactly sure where Slimani is in his contract, but if he’s 3 years into a 5 year contract, 3/5 of his cost will already have been amortised so the loss on sale won’t be that much in the year of sale. Similarly Silva is 2 years through a 5 year contract? In that case he is 2/5 amortised, so situation isn’t quite as bad, particularly if we actually get something from Monaco.

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Not exactly sure where Slimani is in his contract, but if he’s 3 years into a 5 year contract, 3/5 of his cost will already have been amortised so the loss on sale won’t be that much in the year of sale. Similarly Silva is 2 years through a 5 year contract? In that case he is 2/5 amortised, so situation isn’t quite as bad, particularly if we actually get something from Monaco.

Their wages will have to be covered though (the excess that we owe over and above what their new clubs are prepared to pay them)

14 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

No, it's not as bad as essentially the costs are pretty much accounted for but this is the bigger risk when signing players aged 27-29 for significant amounts. If they flop then they flop bad and at best covering just their wages each season whilst their contract is run down isn't easy to sort. 

• Like 2

No, it's not as bad as essentially the costs are pretty much accounted for but this is the bigger risk when signing players aged 27-29 for significant amounts. If they flop then they flop bad and at best covering just their wages each season whilst their contract is run down isn't easy to sort. 

Yes I wasn’t disagreeing with you, just pointing out that a good deal of the damage done by these particular signings has already been accounted.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The price of success this.  Same happened at Celtic tbh, hanging onto players like Rogic, Forrest, McGregor, Tierney, Eduoard, etc meant that we had to significantly up their wages when tied up on new contracts which limited what we could spend in the transfer market.  A necessary evil to avoid fire sales every summer and I guess the skill comes in when makign the call to sell the right player, at the right time for their maximum value.

• Like 2

Not too always bang on about Celtic but both clubs find themselves in a similar position in a relative sense at least when a big transfer doesn't work out.

If Leicester sign someone who flops on big wages, they are very hard to shift before the end of their contract as ultimately if there is no EPL interest in said player most other clubs across Europe won't be able to pay what the player currently earns.  Therefore the policy becomes loaning them out season after season, hoping as much of the wage can be covered as possible.  The situation is exacerbated the older a player is also.

It's similar to us albeit on a smaller scale, we pay far more than anyone else in Scotland or teams across Europe who would be interested in the level of player we look at.  Therefore when it doesn't work out no-one can or will pay said player what we currently pay them and we have no option but to send them out on loan after loan as we are doing with a lot of the deadwood we currently have (thanks Lee!).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Blue is the new Yellow :ph34r:

Is it a rule that these videos have to have absolutely dreadful music or are the people willing to chop up clips to that extent all tasteless?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, knitro said:

Is it a rule that these videos have to have absolutely dreadful music or are the people willing to chop up clips to that extent all tasteless?

The second one. Think of the mentality of the person that does that.

they are oddballs. 

I don’t think we really need that many signings. Perhaps one more senior outfield player to add more experience to the team, and potentially a few younger talents out wide and upfront. We won’t be making any serious moves in the PL next season, but if we can preserve what we have and improve it, it won’t only benefit us, but also England.... imagine if we could have Chilwell, Maddison, Maguire, Gray and Barnes (although someone mentioned a Scotland link?) all playing for England? 

Its about out time we saw less big spending on foreign imports and more investing in young talent.