Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

20 hours ago, Mark said:

True but it says a lot that he’s our most productive winger even though he’s underperformed compared to when he came back from his loan spell. His directness makes things happen, Gray is direct but it doesn’t effect us positively because he hasn’t a football brain. Pérez looks like he’s never played the position before every week, and is slow and weak. Albrighton is no longer effective apart from the odd game on the left.

Which was exactly the case with Rashford.

Pushed into the side because of impressive performances at a lesser level combined with an under performing first team.

Once that immediate impact fades, the player quickly loses confidence because the reality is there are many aspects to his game that are not at the required level to actually look like he should be playing. The fans recognize this, the pundits, media etc......But a lack of squad quality means he cannot be dropped.

It's taken Rashford years to recover and get to a somewhat consistent level.

• Like 1

His shot selection/technique is bizarre. He reminds me of Vardy in 13/14 in that he puts his laces through every thing. I'd like to see him shoot from distance a bit more, he scored some scorchers on his loan spells

• Like 1

It's a bit harsh but he's championship fodder I'm afraid. He will not make it as a Premier League player and will end up in a mid table championship side. He was having a very poor game before his goal, and most members of this forum would do Ben Mee for pace.

Sorry Harvey ☹️ 

Edited by maddog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's got potential to be a good player but his finishing ability needs to improve substantially. Saying that him and Ricardo seem to be the only players in the team that drive and run directly at the opponents and having them in the team is nice to provide that option when we can't break a team down. 

Defensively though, he doesn't track back enough and is quite slow leaving Chilwell exposed a lot or Ndidi/Maddison having to do that job. It showed against Man City where De Bruyne and Mahrez ran riot. He's got away with it a lot this season as the opposition have not been able to take advantage more often.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

His shot selection/technique is bizarre. He reminds me of Vardy in 13/14 in that he puts his laces through every thing. I'd like to see him shoot from distance a bit more, he scored some scorchers on his loan spells

I actually cannot recall a single shot from distance from him with us? There's been a few from the edge of the area but no 25-30 traders that he ripped in when on loan. Rodgers has mentioned a few times the work they have done on trying to get him in the box more in more dangerous areas, so don't expect any time soon. 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I actually cannot recall a single shot from distance from him with us? There's been a few from the edge of the area but no 25-30 traders that he ripped in when on loan. Rodgers has mentioned a few times the work they have done on trying to get him in the box more in more dangerous areas, so don't expect any time soon. 

Sheff U away.......

Guest An Sionnach

He seems to me to be the only viable partner to Vardy , Slimani, Iheanacho and Perez haven't worked. He has the pace to make the similar breaks to Vardy. Trouble is slow build up does not work for either of them very well and that is Rodgers method. Vardy has adapted but Barnes has struggled. Its the same old story , does slow build up , possession football have to be the only method we use. It makes us easy candidates for the high press and then we get negative passing to avoid losing possession. Maddison and Tielemans need to mix it up , they have the ability to spot the long pass to Vardy and Barnes and should use it.

7 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

He seems to me to be the only viable partner to Vardy , Slimani, Iheanacho and Perez haven't worked. He has the pace to make the similar breaks to Vardy. Trouble is slow build up does not work for either of them very well and that is Rodgers method. Vardy has adapted but Barnes has struggled. Its the same old story , does slow build up , possession football have to be the only method we use. It makes us easy candidates for the high press and then we get negative passing to avoid losing possession. Maddison and Tielemans need to mix it up , they have the ability to spot the long pass to Vardy and Barnes and should use it.

I've been saying for ages that Barnes isn't a winger and is more productive and threatening from a central position, as he was at West Brom. His run for the goal at Burnley started in the centre circle; those runs from central midfield are natural to him.

Guest An Sionnach

All our forwards operate better centrally with the sole exception of Albrighton . Of course drifting wide within a match is part of any forwards tactical play. Our forwards do not work in fixed wide positions but Rodgers keeps on trying.

My main gripe with him is that ever since Sheffield United he's been looking for the first time shot on all occasions. The irony of that is he hit that one with his laces, and yet every time the ball comes across to him he will chuck his instep at it and it will either blaze over or dribble through to the keeper.

I like the lad, though. I would prefer it if he stayed wider when we don't have the ball, because he exposes Chilwell too often. His dribbling ability is decent and he has a good awareness for a pass and a cross.

I just hope he gets the message that a new winger is on the club's radar for the summer, and that it will be his place under threat if he doesn't start improving.

On 20/01/2020 at 12:56, Ric Flair said:

If he could get the hang of cutting in from the left and not hitting every shot straight at the goal keeper then he'd soon start to rack up the goals. Yesterday he had 2 other half chances from the left and both were too close to the goalkeeper. His 3 league goals all have come from him shooting from the right side of the goal, i'd be having him work day in, day out at shooting from cutting in.

It’s frustrating as all his goals at West Brom appeared to be him cutting in and then hitting it into the top corner. Think he needs a few to just go in and he will become more confident and effective 

• Like 1

He just follows the module of all up and coming players these days. Fast, athletic and direct, home grown, ticks the boxes. The likes of Merson and Le Tissier wouldn't even get a look in as young players now.

You have to be able to read the game. Harvey cannot read the game.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, somebum said:

He just follows the module of all up and coming players these days. Fast, athletic and direct, home grown, ticks the boxes. The likes of Merson and Le Tissier wouldn't even get a look in as young players now.

You have to be able to read the game. Harvey cannot read the game.

Do you do kids parties?

• Haha 2

On 20/01/2020 at 23:04, maddog said:

It's a bit harsh but he's championship fodder I'm afraid. He will not make it as a Premier League player and will end up in a mid table championship side. He was having a very poor game before his goal, and most members of this forum would do Ben Mee for pace.

Sorry Harvey ☹️ 

how's life under the bridge?

Guest An Sionnach
40 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

How has Iheanacho not worked? He's been great partnering Vardy this season...

Well a couple of times out of fifty odd overall is not so convincing . He is an alternative to Vardy not a partner.

I am a fan of Barnes, as some of you would know.

I like his directness, his dribbling, his quick reaction and generally his decision making. In my view, he has some of the raw ingredients to be great that are hard to find in average Premier   League players. But having observed him over the past 6 months, not only general development, but he does have a few areas that he will need to particularly focus on:

- defensive positioning: when he does focus and defend, he is OK, but he does sometimes seem to wander around a bit

- pressing: he really needs to learn from Vardy and learn to press more. He does try more now, but he needs to do it at least as good as Nachos

- his positioning on the left: like many said, he seems to be more comfortable in the middle, so maybe he is actually not suited to be a winger or he still needs to improve, but he does seem to drift too far forward on the left. He needs to drop back a bit. I guess Perez is also not as good as playing in the middle on the other side

- being clinical in front of goal: obviously he can do better with the chances he had (but remember he does create a lot of the chances himself). It may have been a confidence issue but he seems to be getting better. He can also learn from Vardy. I am not so worried about this though as I think he can step up and he has shown he can do it at other levels. He instincts are also good (unlike Gray). He just needs to bit of an adjustment period and hopefully his goal at the weekend will help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Well a couple of times out of fifty odd overall is not so convincing . He is an alternative to Vardy not a partner.

Perhaps we should judge him on how he's played this season under Rodgers rather than performances under Puel.

Do you apply the same thinking to Vardy?

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Under Rodgers he looks more comfortable with Perez. Vardy is pretty unique as a main striker while Iheanacho is more traditional in approach, Perez after working with Rondon looks a lot more comfortable with that. We rely on Vardy so much but his style of play often leaves him isolated . Harvey Barnes has the speed and mobility to support him but unless they play regularly together they won't get the intuitive understanding they need.

Should Barnes get a couple more goals the rest of the season he could be closer to what we want out of him. He has shown moments that he might be ready to take off but hasn't got there just yet.

It's probably not far off Mahrez back in 2014/15. Takes time to settle in at the highest level. 

• Like 1