Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

0.38 goal and assists per 90 minutes in his PL career. Clearly not good enough, terminate his contract and ship him off to a Siberian gulag 

genuinely interested in his xG for goals and assists per game. must be at least one. it’s so close to him being our best player but it’s just not quite. 

he will be soon though if he gets the right treatment from everyone involved. i’m sure of it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

genuinely interested in his xG for goals and assists per game. must be at least one. it’s so close to him being our best player but it’s just not quite. 

he will be soon though if he gets the right treatment from everyone involved. i’m sure of it. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/3ea50f67/Harvey-Barnes

FBRef is the place you need to go for those stats. You're welcome.

30 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

On 0.31 xg p90 atm which feels low

According to understat, big Kel is on 1.41 xG + xA per 90!

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Its kinda sad that Albrighton only had an average game yet was a clear improvement over Barnes.

Pressing is very important.  Even when you are a team that can keep control of the ball for long periods, winning the ball back is important, if you dont press then it means the defenders have to win it back which carries more risk and also means you have to work to get the ball up the pitch again.  Pressing sometimes can mess an opposing team up mentally e.g. the opponent may initially have a plan to pass it around calmly, but then if they make errors because of been pressed it can get to their heads and force them to do other things and messes up their game.

Just don’t get the hate for Barnes??? Leicester are the best they have ever been, but the comment about Albrighton?? Lol get a grip mate, he was shocking today and the only player who didn’t perform. Leave Barnes alone or at least judge every other player the same way you judge him 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

The majority of us see a potentially very special player in Barnes. He will score more regularly as he acquires the composure in front of goal, he clearly has the ability as we saw at WBA.  What does  slightly concern me though is the defensive side of his game, tackling and competing for the ball needs a deal of improvement, as its such an important aspect of play in the Premier League. What he needs is continued support from all of us. There were plenty on here who would have happily put Vardy in the bin and where would we be now! 

He can improve on the defensive side of things, Gray has shown this has been added to his game. And I agree with you, he has massive potential. I also wonder how much he would gain from the crowd actually getting behind him, “he’s one of our own” etc. How much confidence would surge through him, what a lift it would bring and benefit the team. 

8 hours ago, CityIsBlue said:

Pressing is not that be all and end all, in fact it's vastly overrated/misunderstood.

Robbie Savage was not some great player, ahead of his time, who would be worth £100 million today because he pressed the ball a lot. He was, quite rightly, often branded a 'headless chicken'.

Pressing at the wrong time is even worse than not pressing at all.

In fact, we have benefited greatly from a reduction in Vardy 'Pressing' this season. Rodgers identified that he was both pressing too often, and at the wrong times......Since reducing the pressing he does, he's having the greatest goalscoring season for us thus far......And we are 2nd in the Premier League.

Liverpool didn't press us for 90 mins.

Often, especially early in the game, they would reset their shape before pressing us.

Timing is everything!

If 'Pressing', or the way you describe it, where it is uncontrolled and basically 'running around', was the most fundamental aspect of a front 3, Albrighton would be starting ahead of Salah at Liverpool.

The reason Everton came back from 2-0 in the second half against us?

They didn't fear Albrighton/Grey and were able to press 'recklessly/desperately', with little risk because they offer little threat.

The reason we, despite having a better XI than Man United got a worse result at the Etihad?

United have a front 3 which were capable of being a goal threat.....We do not.

None of our 3 'natural' wingers have shown they are at the level required for a side with our ambitions.....

The difference? Albrighton has demonstrated his lack of quality for years, Gray too but to a lesser extent, whilst Barnes is the least experienced of the three.

Vardy took 12 months to adapt to the Championship and then the Premier League.

Barnes has been given just 25 games.

Albrighton? 6 years, and he still isn't a goal threat.

I like the savage analysis of savage 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CityIsBlue said:

Pressing is not that be all and end all, in fact it's vastly overrated/misunderstood.

Robbie Savage was not some great player, ahead of his time, who would be worth £100 million today because he pressed the ball a lot. He was, quite rightly, often branded a 'headless chicken'.

Pressing at the wrong time is even worse than not pressing at all.

In fact, we have benefited greatly from a reduction in Vardy 'Pressing' this season. Rodgers identified that he was both pressing too often, and at the wrong times......Since reducing the pressing he does, he's having the greatest goalscoring season for us thus far......And we are 2nd in the Premier League.

Liverpool didn't press us for 90 mins.

Often, especially early in the game, they would reset their shape before pressing us.

Timing is everything!

If 'Pressing', or the way you describe it, where it is uncontrolled and basically 'running around', was the most fundamental aspect of a front 3, Albrighton would be starting ahead of Salah at Liverpool.

The reason Everton came back from 2-0 in the second half against us?

They didn't fear Albrighton/Grey and were able to press 'recklessly/desperately', with little risk because they offer little threat.

The reason we, despite having a better XI than Man United got a worse result at the Etihad?

United have a front 3 which were capable of being a goal threat.....We do not.

None of our 3 'natural' wingers have shown they are at the level required for a side with our ambitions.....

The difference? Albrighton has demonstrated his lack of quality for years, Gray too but to a lesser extent, whilst Barnes is the least experienced of the three.

Vardy took 12 months to adapt to the Championship and then the Premier League.

Barnes has been given just 25 games.

Albrighton? 6 years, and he still isn't a goal threat.

... he never was or expected to be, that is not his strength!! 

If you choose to follow that thought process, you are making the same mistake that led us to pick him up for peanuts. 

It is clear Rodgers has asked for more from him and he has attempted to adapt his game to be more of a threat upfront. That's all very well, but not particularly his strength either. We have not outgrown him, we just need to let him be the player that shores up our left hand side, you can then bring in all the fire power you want on the right. 

9 hours ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Just don’t get the hate for Barnes??? Leicester are the best they have ever been, but the comment about Albrighton?? Lol get a grip mate, he was shocking today and the only player who didn’t perform. Leave Barnes alone or at least judge every other player the same way you judge him 

Trying to be as polite as possible, I just don't understand how you cannot understand why is some criticism.  I don't think anyone "hates" him.

You accuse people of not treating him equal but in the same paragraph you failed to recognise Albrighton played better for the team and wouldn't acknowledge where he has been poor.  

If you said something like "I recognise he has made mistake (a), he is poor in (b) but I think he should be given pitch time because that's how I think players improve" I would have maybe reacted differently, but you seem to be indicating you think he has been perfect, and blatantly failed to realise what's going on in games.

13 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Trying to be as polite as possible, I just don't understand how you cannot understand why is some criticism.  I don't think anyone "hates" him.

You accuse people of not treating him equal but in the same paragraph you failed to recognise Albrighton played better for the team and wouldn't acknowledge where he has been poor.  

If you said something like "I recognise he has made mistake (a), he is poor in (b) but I think he should be given pitch time because that's how I think players improve" I would have maybe reacted differently, but you seem to be indicating you think he has been perfect, and blatantly failed to realise what's going on in games.

Lol

Start Barnes and Albrighton against Wigan, Gray and Perez against Newcastle.

Barnes is only young and it is only the last few games that he has looked lost, and to be fair against Man City and Liverpool, most of the team did.

Edited by foxinsox
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... he never was or expected to be, that is not his strength!! 

If you choose to follow that thought process, you are making the same mistake that led us to pick him up for peanuts. 

It is clear Rodgers has asked for more from him and he has attempted to adapt his game to be more of a threat upfront. That's all very well, but not particularly his strength either. We have not outgrown him, we just need to let him be the player that shores up our left hand side, you can then bring in all the firepower you want on the right. 

You're right he was never expected to be a goal threat......in a 442.

But you're wrong in the sense that we haven't 'outgrown' him.

I'll simply state again that he is the 'Nugent' of our current side. 

He gets away with it because he 'runs around a lot'. Nugent got away with the same after promotion, even when it was clear there was/is a lack of quality there. 

I guess its no similar to Shinji......Our tactical setup and our ambitions outgrew him too.

We can't carry players at the level we're at now.

I can't see Albrighton getting in any PL side this season. 

Barnsey reminds me a little of Rashford’s early days at Man U. Showing bags of promise and potential and you just know there’s a phenomenal player bursting to come out.

hes home grown, talented, quick and creative.

It’s been said many times now but the lad is just lacking goals to his game. If he keeps trying and doesn’t give up it will come. However he really must focus on putting the bread & butter chances away when they come to him. Those are vital not just for his confidence and progression but more importantly the team! There will be tough games where chances are slim and we desperately need the points. If the opportunity comes to him instead of Vardy and he fluffs it there will be hell to pay for. We’re playing at the top end of arguably the best league in the world. Yes it’s intense, high pressure, physical and fans are demanding but it is what it is. Clock is ticking and time is running out - start banging In those goals lad and write your own history at Leicester. No better mentor than Vardy in showing you how it’s done so use it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I love the lad and think hell be a legend here but his workrate is frustrating, sometimes he'll work incredibly hard but sometimes he looks disinterested. You'd think it'd be one or the other

Agreed. Sometimes he turns his back a little on active play, as though he can't be fussed. 

I hope he comes good. There's a great player in there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Agreed. Sometimes he turns his back a little on active play, as though he can't be fussed. 

I hope he comes good. There's a great player in there. 

there was a great player in GTF too, turns out he'd eaten him.

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Hope he starts today and scores.

I always hope he scores! I do wonder today though if he’ll be on the Bench at the expense of Pérez and Gray who have arguably earned their starting places based on recent performances.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

If we play a back three , Barnes can move more central and maybe work better with Vardy. It seems to me that using paired strikers is the way to go. Vardy and Barnes together and Perez with  Iheanacho. Neither Perez or Barnes seem comfortable out wide. Pereira and Chilwell ( or Justin) need to provide the width.

Edited by An Sionnach