Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

He's the weirdest and most erratic player I think I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt.

We've watched him for 2 years now and I still have absolutely no idea what his level of quality actually is. Because he goes from the sublime to the atrocious in the blink of an eye and it's often the things he's good at and the things he's bad at even completely flip within 10 minutes of a game.

I don't think it would surprise me either way if he was playing in the Champions League and starting for England in 5 years time or he'd become a Tom Ince -type Championship journeyman in 5 years time.

He gets in the kind of goalscoring positions that only Vardy and Mahrez have managed to in recent years and he can bully defenders when he wants to, which is obviously his biggest strength. But I've never been as convinced by others his issues are to do with confidence rather than his actual base ability (but I hope I'm proven wrong).

Only player I can think who's comparable to him is Traore at Wolves, who is equally as erratic and hard to pin down and you have no idea what his actual level is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

That’s about right, Man U see him as an alternative to Jadon Sancho, FT seem him as another Lloyd Dyer or Demarai Gray 

Plenty on here think he should be ahead of Sancho, Sterling, Rashford and Grealish in the England side.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

Do people realise that Harvey Barnes and Kieran Dewsbury Hall are the same age, yet one is considered to be under achieving and the other is considered to have a lot of potential 

KDH has the potential to under achieve in the Premier League. Never question Foxestalk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/12/2020 at 08:29, Ric Flair said:

The thing with Barnes is, there's a general feeling he's not doing very well yet he is improving his numbers. He got 7 goals and 8 assists in all competitions last year which was half decent. He's got 5 goals and 1 assist so far from 15 games so he's on course for improving those figures. Still got a lot about his overall game that can improve, I actually think his wing play and driving at opponents has been almost non existent when he's played up alongside Vardy with 3 at the back, he is much better in that regard when we play 4-1-4-1 and this can be seen with his reduction in assists for Vardy and the team so far. Goals ratio improving but having less of an overall impact on the teams attacking play, we barely create any chances which is frustrating.

Love him though, he is the best academy player we have produced since Heskey.

Of all the issues at the moment, Barnes isn't one. We look a better team with him in it. Scored goals, set up penalties and his general attitude of head down and go forward is something we often lack. Vardy seems happier when he's playing too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

He's the weirdest and most erratic player I think I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt.

We've watched him for 2 years now and I still have absolutely no idea what his level of quality actually is. Because he goes from the sublime to the atrocious in the blink of an eye and it's often the things he's good at and the things he's bad at even completely flip within 10 minutes of a game.

I don't think it would surprise me either way if he was playing in the Champions League and starting for England in 5 years time or he'd become a Tom Ince -type Championship journeyman in 5 years time.

He gets in the kind of goalscoring positions that only Vardy and Mahrez have managed to in recent years and he can bully defenders when he wants to, which is obviously his biggest strength. But I've never been as convinced by others his issues are to do with confidence rather than his actual base ability (but I hope I'm proven wrong).

Only player I can think who's comparable to him is Traore at Wolves, who is equally as erratic and hard to pin down and you have no idea what his actual level is.

You could argue Jack Grealish was not even operating at Barnes level of end product at the same age, in fact it's not even an argument. Barnes was head and shoulders better than him in the Championship and PL at similar ages. The season both were in the Championship when he was at West Brom was night and day. 

I'm not sure what it is that Barnes needs to do to elevate his game to be considered a standout player but its more than just taking his chances, his goals and assists are already above average and from December to March in 2019/20 he was a driving force from wide left. Is it just a case of it all coming together over a sustained period and that being the new norm for him. I'm convinced he will.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You could argue Jack Grealish was not even operating at Barnes level of end product at the same age, in fact it's not even an argument. Barnes was head and shoulders better than him in the Championship and PL at similar ages. The season both were in the Championship when he was at West Brom was night and day. 

I'm not sure what it is that Barnes needs to do to elevate his game to be considered a standout player but its more than just taking his chances, his goals and assists are already above average and from December to March in 2019/20 he was a driving force from wide left. Is it just a case of it all coming together over a sustained period and that being the new norm for him. I'm convinced he will.

Under was creating more chances than Barnes last match. Although Under had Ricardo for help. But I agree, once we start playing well as a team he will be (and normally is) very dangerous going forwards.

If we have serious European ambitions then a player like barnes who is home grown in the club is invaluable. It would have to take a silly offer for Man Utd to be able to get him, however we know that Man Utd love their silly offers so never say never. When they are interested you can comfortably add 20 million onto his price tag knowing they will bend over and pay it in the end. 

3 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Honestly in this day in age I don't see what a team like Man United could offer a player like Barnes that we can't, It's not like Man united are more likely to win anything than we are atm

An extra £100k a week. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrSpaM said:

Can you honestly see him wanting to go there after seeing the weekly crucifixion Maguire has been getting there since he signed for them?

.. every player backs themselves to succeed and always believes they will be the one to make it!!!

They would not have got this far unless they did not believe in themselves. 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 17:35, peach0000 said:

If we have serious European ambitions then a player like barnes who is home grown in the club is invaluable. It would have to take a silly offer for Man Utd to be able to get him, however we know that Man Utd love their silly offers so never say never. When they are interested you can comfortably add 20 million onto his price tag knowing they will bend over and pay it in the end. 

They didn’t sign Sancho as they thought he was overpriced and they played hardball to get Fernandes’ Fee down by about £15 mill . Perhaps the Maguire experience scarred them . 

1 minute ago, MrSpaM said:

Can you honestly see him wanting to go there after seeing the weekly crucifixion Maguire has been getting there since he signed for them?

Yes.

We don't like to admit it around here, but Manchester United are, and always will be a much bigger team than us. They will recover and become a force again in the long run. Footballers get criticised everywhere they go. If they were to come in and make an offer for him he would have the self confidence to go there and believe that he can be a success - why else would one of the biggest teams in the world want to sign a young player if they didn't think he could make it there? And if the confidence boost of being wanted by them in the first place wasn't enough of an incentive for him, then just the fact that they can offer him a lot more money than we can would likely tip the scales in their favour.

• Like 1

6 goals in 16 appearances. He got 8 in total last season.

I think (or maybe I hope) Barnes will be at a level throughout his career that he won’t quite be good enough to join the elite but he’ll be a star for us. He’ll absolutely be a club legend if he stays here for a while yet.

• Like 3