Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Like the buffoon that I am, I claimed to some of the guys watching the game with me on Discord that "other than the goal, Barnes has had a quiet game" as he then proceeded to make two fantastic opportunities for the team lol

He was really good today and showed many sides to his game. For me the most impressive thing was his overall use of his left foot. Usually "inverted forwards" are all about cutting in on their stronger foot and shooting with that foot, but Barnes not only scored with his left, but put in several sliding passes and crosses too. It's obvious the coaching team have worked with him on using both feet, and it's encouraging to see he's already showing he can incorporate that element into his game. As others have said he's already got 7 goals too, so is very clearly a first choice pick in his position now and really giving a good account of himself.

Where he could improve is to try and avoid drifting in and out of games so much. Now to be fair, most wide forwards are like this and even players like Mahrez, Sterling, Pullisic tend to do this. But the very best players in this position in the league such as Mane and Son are almost always on it. Sadio Mane for me I don't think I have ever seen have a "bad" game for Liverpool! Even if he doesn't score or assist, he's always causing so much havoc and is a really consistent player. In fact though Son and Salah score more goals, for me Mane is the best wide forward in the league.

Given what Barnes was like when he first got into the team following his loan spell from West Brom, he's one of our most improved players. I think he should be getting towards the 10 goals and assists a season category, and he might be able to do even better than that with the right coaching. I didn't think he'd ever become that good, so that's massive credit to him and the coaching team. Liverpool were rumoured to be interested before going for Diego Jota, and I think that speaks volumes as to how good his potential is, and how good he already has become. 

First 25 mins I felt we didn't have enough the same ability to get the ball to our attacking midfielders and make any probing attacks. Then he ripped thst goal in and he started to effect the game. 2nd half I thought he was head and shoulders our best player, 2 or 3 times he had them kicking windows but sadly our players weren't quite able to get on the end of his searching balls. On his day he is mustard and year on year he is improving. He's one of our own and it's a huge buzz to watch him. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

First 25 mins I felt we didn't have enough the same ability to get the ball to our attacking midfielders and make any probing attacks. Then he ripped thst goal in and he started to effect the game. 2nd half I thought he was head and shoulders our best player, 2 or 3 times he had them kicking windows but sadly our players weren't quite able to get on the end of his searching balls. On his day he is mustard and year on year he is improving. He's one of our own and it's a huge buzz to watch him. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Hansifüx said:

I wonder if Barnes could replace Vardy at CF, I know Brendan tried once and it didn't work but I still believe he has great CF material!  I am aware that he is a different kind of a player who likes the ball a lot and  to face and pass opponents while Vardy is a pure opportunist. I appreciate Vardy's efficiency but I think his performance is dropping ... I wouldn't mind seeing Vardy come from the bench more often in future. 

it could work he has the pace that's for sure, can finish and can run with the ball ... his only negative is sometimes his final ball so transforming him into a striker to eventually take over from Vardy may be a good idea 

Thought he was quiet before the goal then smashed that in and it gave him a world of confidence. Gave him that lift and with the change in their shape it worked in his favour and he could run at them and be direct which suits him to a tee.

Also, can the commentators stop referencing his dad lol every game there's always a mention of what Paul did. They've just about got over doing it for Kasper! 

Having said that, how many other sides have professionals in the same squad who also had fathers who played in the Premier League? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Thought he was quiet before the goal then smashed that in and it gave him a world of confidence. Gave him that lift and with the change in their shape it worked in his favour and he could run at them and be direct which suits him to a tee.

Also, can the commentators stop referencing his dad lol every game there's always a mention of what Paul did. They've just about got over doing it for Kasper! 

Having said that, how many other sides have professionals in the same squad who also had fathers who played in the Premier League? 

I thought his Dad played at a really low level, like York and the like? 

That goal was so good I thought he was left footed. Honestly made me forget. Felt like that was the first game of the season where we actually opened up with some end to end play. Nice to know that we still have that in our locker. Fitting that Barnes had his best match of the season(sofar) today. The style fits him perfectly.

Edited by SO1

He's growing in stature and confidence. Both Spurs and Ut'd put two men to watch him which shows how far he's come as a threat.

Today's goal will be another boost to his confidence and he's going to be a big player for us.

if we can get Under doing as good on the right wing this will ease the attention he get's and he'll flourish even more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I thought his Dad played at a really low level, like York and the like? 

The commentators had to tell us, if only to stop mentioning that Kasper Schmeichel (nearly 400 appearances and a league title with us) was well known for being in photos of Man Utd celebrating 20-odd years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

My mate works with Paul and I’ve been to  a few parties over the years with him there and he hasn’t even mentioned he played football once.Probably cringes everytime he hears it.