Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

Improving his finishing but overall I think this new system has made him less involved from the positions he was more dangerous in out wide. His performances vs West Brom and Burnley were excellent and its no coincidence there's been precious little assists from him since we've gone 3-4-1-2.

Hopefully last nights horror show will mean a back 3 is binned off until Xmas at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Improving his finishing but overall I think this new system has made him less involved from the positions he was more dangerous in out wide. His performances vs West Brom and Burnley were excellent and its no coincidence there's been precious little assists from him since we've gone 3-4-1-2.

Hopefully last nights horror show will mean a back 3 is binned off until Xmas at least.

My hope is that 3 at the back is binned too but it'll be there for the spurs game I'm certain - with our best players available we may think differently.

Barnes was crap last night but scored- thats 5 already this year. Under also looked like he wanted to make things happen and was probably our brightest player. It sounds like Castagne might be out a while which will probably mean Justin will go back to left back. Fofana needs a rest too.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Until Ricardo and Castagne come back and Justin can be another option for CB along with 2 of Evans/Fofana/Soyuncu if he's going to persist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

My hope is that 3 at the back is binned too but it'll be there for the spurs game I'm certain - with our best players available we may think differently.

Barnes was crap last night but scored- thats 5 already this year. Under also looked like he wanted to make things happen and was probably our brightest player. It sounds like Castagne might be out a while which will probably mean Justin will go back to left back. Fofana needs a rest too.

That's fine, play it in the tough games if needs be but never ever should 5 defenders and 4 central midfielders be deployed in a game home or away against a team like Fulham. I'm still in shock, can't speak. Had to text my mum to ring my boss and say I won't be in today.

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He was utterly anonymous until the goal. So let's not let the goal decieve us. How is it that he's sent on at H/T with instructions to change the game, yet spent most of the half chilling on the flank doing sweet FA? Either his instructions were shite or he couldn't be bothered. Really worries me how anonymous he can be at times.  

...reminds you of someone!!!

Not for one second saying the are the same, but that scenario very much encapsulate the Demarai enigma. What information is given when starting and what is said when coming on as a sub?

54 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...reminds you of someone!!!

Not for one second saying the are the same, but that scenario very much encapsulate the Demarai enigma. What information is given when starting and what is said when coming on as a sub?

Barnes has 5 goals already after a quarter of the season, Demarai Gray's best season for us is 4 in 39 games according to Wikipedia. Nothing to see here.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I don't get the antipathy and sometimes almost hatred towards Barnes. He showed last Thursday and tonight that he can score good goals. It is hard and harsh to judge him in games where he there is little if any ball to him. He may have been profligate in spurning chances last season but he's still a young man and an exciting talent who needs to be nurtured. Get off his back, I say. 

100% agree. Great post.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 20:29, Lambert09 said:

I think it would be hard to judge both him and under on tonight's performance. Fulham were more or less playing a back 6 when they entered the game. We have to wait to see them in a normal circumstance. 

I am desperate to see a                     JV                     

HB          JM          CU

Yes. It was damned unfair of them not to give a talented player room to destroy them. 

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I know you read the post, you quoted it!!!

I stated the scenario was reminiscent of Demarai and why he plays the way he does. If you want it to be an exercise in points scoring then so be it.

you literally said 'reminds you of someone!!!!' then talked about Gray. Quite clear what you were implying.

Barnes is our only creative outlet. He’s currently the only player who will run with the ball. He struggles sometimes because teams know this and double up. The kid has talent and needs some help around him. He doesn’t need a 5 man defensive formation and a reliance on him to break free from their defence. Get under starting with him and one of Maddison or praet closer to the attackers and he will sparkle again. 

• Like 2

On 30/11/2020 at 21:07, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I don't get the antipathy and sometimes almost hatred towards Barnes. He showed last Thursday and tonight that he can score good goals. It is hard and harsh to judge him in games where he there is little if any ball to him. He may have been profligate in spurning chances last season but he's still a young man and an exciting talent who needs to be nurtured. Get off his back, I say. 

Behave, our support is shit but don’t think there’s many foxes out there that hate Harvey Barnes.

He gets stick for his finishing and rightly so, it’s woeful at times. Just because a player is young/local/talented doesn’t mean they should be exempt from criticism if they are underperforming in an aspect of their game, providing that it isn’t destructive or nasty. You’d have to say that he has underperformed in front of goal. I get he’s young and final product will come with time before anyone whinges but he can be incredibly frustrating. 

Having said that, two brilliant goals v Fulham and Braga. If he can finish like that regularly then wow, would be some player. 

6 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Behave, our support is shit but don’t think there’s many foxes out there that hate Harvey Barnes.

He gets stick for his finishing and rightly so, it’s woeful at times. Just because a player is young/local/talented doesn’t mean they should be exempt from criticism if they are underperforming in an aspect of their game, providing that it isn’t destructive or nasty. You’d have to say that he has underperformed in front of goal. I get he’s young and final product will come with time before anyone whinges but he can be incredibly frustrating. 

Having said that, two brilliant goals v Fulham and Braga. If he can finish like that regularly then wow, would be some player. 

Did I say he should be exempt from criticism? No. Noone should be. He is still learning and makes mistakes. But there have been some really quite stupid comments and antipathy towards the guy at times on here which frankly doesn't put those supporters in a good light. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Did I say he should be exempt from criticism? No. Noone should be. He is still learning and makes mistakes. But there have been some really quite stupid comments and antipathy towards the guy at times on here which frankly doesn't put those supporters in a good light. 

Fair enough mate, I haven’t seen those comments myself but it doesn’t surprise me. I seem to remember seeing similar comments aimed at Chilwell last season. 

Agree though, such a talented boy. Could be one of the top prem wingers.

Ironically with Gray mentioned in here, I remember the spell of games before Mahrez got unsettled with man city's bid for him, Puel played him and Gray at the same time, and teams were struggling on who to mark, the one left unmarked would cause all sorts of problems.  I want to see us doing this again with Barnes and Under.  Play both, and play them regularly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Ironically with Gray mentioned in here, I remember the spell of games before Mahrez got unsettled with man city's bid for him, Puel played him and Gray at the same time, and teams were struggling on who to mark, the one left unmarked would cause all sorts of problems.  I want to see us doing this again with Barnes and Under.  Play both, and play them regularly.

Half truth in that - we won four games out of 15 where the pair of them were both on the pitch for more than thirty minutes under Puel. The period you talk about three of those wins occurred - albeit the opposition of Everton (h), Newcastle (a) and Burnley (h) - that's out of nine games before 1st January. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/riyad-mahrez/gemeinsameSpiele/spieler/171424/gegner/292417/kriterium/2/wettbewerb//liga/0/verein/0

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

yes - I would like to see under and barnes both on (drop madison)

12 hours ago, Stadt said:

5 goals and 1 assist in 920 minutes from 10 starts (15 apps). He puts the ball in the net even if he isn’t the most efficient scorer yet. 

This system doesn't encourage him to be very creative though, got a lot of assists playing clever balls in behind for Vardy last season and that's not happening this season yet.

• Like 2