Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This system doesn't encourage him to be very creative though, got a lot of assists playing clever balls in behind for Vardy last season and that's not happening this season yet.

Maddison only assisted Vardy once in the PL last season - against Sheffield.

12 hours ago, Stadt said:

5 goals and 1 assist in 920 minutes from 10 starts (15 apps). He puts the ball in the net even if he isn’t the most efficient scorer yet. 

True.  He's on course for 15 goals this season and all we hear is that he can't finish.  Even if he misses a few it shows that he is still creating and getting into good positions more than anyone else except for JV.  I just wish we had someone even half as good to play on the right.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, murphy said:

True.  He's on course for 15 goals this season and all we hear is that he can't finish.  Even if he misses a few it shows that he is still creating and getting into good positions more than anyone else except for JV.  I just wish we had someone even half as good to play on the right.

Personally think under looks every bit as good as barnes in his limited minutes.

52 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Getting into good positions is a huge skill in itself, there’s a study - I’ll find it later - that reckons 90% of goal scoring is down to getting in to the position to shoot in the first place. Perez is a better finisher than Barnes but that’s no good if you convert a higher number of much fewer chances. Barnes ability to sniff out space is really undervalued 

supposedly finishing isn't actually a skill - very few players score consistently ahead of their xg over a long period of time; instead its the getting good chances bit which is the hard part

• Like 2

Barnes has been rightly criticised for his lack of defensive covering and his wastefulness in front of goal. TBF to him, he has improved both these aspects of late, but on Monday he seemed to go missing for large parts of the game, partly i think because Fulham recognised the threat, doubled up on him when he had the ball and cut off the supply lines to him. Last season, Chilwell would move forward with the ball into Barnes space pushing him inside but not then continue onto the overlap, however, we had the opposite issue on Monday where Fuchs was so knackered after being pushed into so many games in quick succession, he did not want to get caught upfield and expose our already stretched defense ( i still think that Br thought it too risky leaving Thomas on his own as WB). A fully rested and recharged Fuchs, or hopefully Castagne at LB would have had more in the tank and linked up better with Harvey.

Hopefully when Timmy and Ricardo are back with their energy and directness, we will see both Harvey and Under in a front three with the full backs pushing on and then we will cause teams all sorts of problems, no matter how low a block they deploy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Barnes has been rightly criticised for his lack of defensive covering and his wastefulness in front of goal. TBF to him, he has improved both these aspects of late, but on Monday he seemed to go missing for large parts of the game, partly i think because Fulham recognised the threat, doubled up on him when he had the ball and cut off the supply lines to him. Last season, Chilwell would move forward with the ball into Barnes space pushing him inside but not then continue onto the overlap, however, we had the opposite issue on Monday where Fuchs was so knackered after being pushed into so many games in quick succession, he did not want to get caught upfield and expose our already stretched defense ( i still think that Br thought it too risky leaving Thomas on his own as WB). A fully rested and recharged Fuchs, or hopefully Castagne at LB would have had more in the tank and linked up better with Harvey.

Hopefully when Timmy and Ricardo are back with their energy and directness, we will see both Harvey and Under in a front three with the full backs pushing on and then we will cause teams all sorts of problems, no matter how low a block they deploy.

...even though we have not seen it much as yet, someone who will take on a player would make a marked improvement to the team compared to the short passing trying to breakdown a defense!!!

Looking forward to Ünder having a regular run in the team, with his pace a intelligence he will take this team up a notch.

On 30/11/2020 at 20:37, RowlattsFox said:

Everyone moaned when Chilwell always overlapped him lol

They defended him well though, had Reid and the full back. 

Usually because Chilwell and Barnes for some reason just wouldn't click. Overlapping usually led to us stopping and going further backwards

20 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Half truth in that - we won four games out of 15 where the pair of them were both on the pitch for more than thirty minutes under Puel. The period you talk about three of those wins occurred - albeit the opposition of Everton (h), Newcastle (a) and Burnley (h) - that's out of nine games before 1st January. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/riyad-mahrez/gemeinsameSpiele/spieler/171424/gegner/292417/kriterium/2/wettbewerb//liga/0/verein/0

didnt say we won a lot of games, just that the system was working on forward play. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

14 goals in 9 games over that period. A bit par for the course?

I dont know how to explain it, you are looking at stats, I am looking at the play on the pitch.

How many goals have we got from open play in our last 9 games for comparison?

56 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I dont know how to explain it, you are looking at stats, I am looking at the play on the pitch.

9 games going back to the first leg against Zorya. 

Maddison, Barnes, Iheanacho vs Zorya 

Vardy vs Arsenal 

Barnes, Tielemans, Vardy vs Leeds

Iheanacho x2, Praet, Maddison vs Braga

Barnes, Thomas, Vardy vs Braga, 

Barnes vs Fulham 

Edited by StanSP

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

I’m just looking to substantiate your opinion with evidence. If we don’t win games or we don’t score, it doesn’t work tactically. 

I agree with the suggestion of the winger duo Barnes and Under alongside Vardy.

I just happen to think that Demerai Gray (alongside Mahrez or anyone else for that matter) is no way an indicator of a threat to opposition causing them to double up. 

Although I rate Barnes he continues to make the same mistakes when going forward, whoever’s coaching him on his forward play needs sacking. He seems to get ahead of himself at times he needs to learn by watching others in the Prem League, I feel we have no one who can take him under there wing and make him better, not even Vardy he’s a different type of player.

1 hour ago, Always Next Year said:

Although I rate Barnes he continues to make the same mistakes when going forward, whoever’s coaching him on his forward play needs sacking. He seems to get ahead of himself at times he needs to learn by watching others in the Prem League, I feel we have no one who can take him under there wing and make him better, not even Vardy he’s a different type of player.

I like Barnes but he needs to be a bit nasty you looked at grealish and fans hate him a bit he has a edge

He needs that to get to where he needs to go for the club.

I’m a big fan but he needs to improve in tight spaces, his dribbling and touch can be a bit loose. This is where he should have been coached better but “muh we have lots of academy graduates in the squad so there’s nothing wrong”

13 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

I hate how central he always finds himself. Think he’d be so much more effective if he provided width and just constantly drove at the full back with his pace and power. Seems to spend most the time loitering in central areas which makes it all too congested.

Is that a result of the role he has played in a 3-4-1-2 this season? Last season he was much better at driving at teams from out wide, he also got 4-5 assists playing cleaver balls inside the left channel for Vardy to run in behind defences. Hopefully with Ricardo, Ndidi and Castagne's impending return that we go back to providing width and overloads from out wide.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is that a result of the role he has played in a 3-4-1-2 this season? Last season he was much better at driving at teams from out wide, he also got 4-5 assists playing cleaver balls inside the left channel for Vardy to run in behind defences. Hopefully with Ricardo, Ndidi and Castagne's impending return that we go back to providing width and overloads from out wide.

Good point, and of course, in the 4141 from last season, Maddison or Tielemans would often be pushed up from their number 8 positions, which would naturally lead to Harvey not drifting in field as much, as there would aready be someone occupying that space.

• Like 1