Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

People aren't really questioning Dunk's quality and what he could bring to the side, it's more to do with people rightly questioning spending £45-50 million on him and also having the highly rated Benkovic and Soyuncu waiting to step in. Just look how Chilwell flourished when backed and given a run of games. I see no reason why one or indeed both, Benkovic and Soyuncu can't do the same alongside our best CB last year in Evans. 

People forget, Maguire really had an indifferent season and it was Evans who was our best CB. Between Soyuncu and Benkovic, I think we will find a very solid pairing. Spending £45-50m on Dunk doesn't really make financial sense. It also inhibits Soyuncu and Benkovic, as well as sending a message to other clubs that we are willing to spend 45-50m on a player like Dunk, who is really only a £20-25m player!   

I know this season is seen as our best chance to break the top 6 and a good start is obviously important, but we shouldn't lose sight of what got us into this fantastic position, and that was by giving talented young players a run of games and backing them to deliver. Soyuncu and Benkovic both highly rated, should also be given that backing IMO. 

Top, top post. Agree with all of it!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Walkers said:

If its absurd that we'd go for a centre back who only just stayed up last year, how absurd is it that one of the best teams in the world want a CB from a team who finished 9th?

Absurd that we bought Maguire from relegated Hull. Absurd that Liverpool bought Robertson from relegated Hull. 

Silly sausages

Edited by Ashley
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LinekersApples said:

Dunk is very good.

You rarely get selected for your country unless you’re very good.

Anyone who is very good, playing alongside the excellent Jonny Evans (and he really is a class act) will improve. 

D8EADE40-4AC6-4AE3-A8CD-602E7936C0B9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

It is incredible how that Hull team didn't stay up given the quality of it

Unfortunately that's football. 

People need to look at the bigger picture rather than the ignorance that's about.

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

People aren't really questioning Dunk's quality and what he could bring to the side, it's more to do with people rightly questioning spending £45-50 million on him and also having the highly rated Benkovic and Soyuncu waiting to step in. Just look how Chilwell flourished when backed and given a run of games. I see no reason why one or indeed both, Benkovic and Soyuncu can't do the same alongside our best CB last year in Evans. 

People forget, Maguire really had an indifferent season and it was Evans who was our best CB. Between Soyuncu and Benkovic, I think we will find a very solid pairing. Spending £45-50m on Dunk doesn't really make financial sense. It also inhibits Soyuncu and Benkovic, as well as sending a message to other clubs that we are willing to spend 45-50m on a player like Dunk, who is really only a £20-25m player!   

I know this season is seen as our best chance to break the top 6 and a good start is obviously important, but we shouldn't lose sight of what got us into this fantastic position, and that was by giving talented young players a run of games and backing them to deliver. Soyuncu and Benkovic both highly rated, should also be given that backing IMO. 

But doesn’t that argument still stand if Maguire stays ? ..   I’m all for giving younger players a chance like you say but really aren’t we in exactly the same situation if Maguire stays or if he goes and is replaced by (say) Dunk ...  

3 hours ago, Shane said:

If for whatever reason we don’t give Soyuncu and Benkovic a chance, i’d take Schar over most options.

He is just as good defensively as Dunk & would surely cost less money.

Also imo Schar is probably at a similar level to Maguire at dribbling / bringing the ball out of defence. His youtube highlights:  :P

Honestly hope Benko and Soyuncu are given the opportunity, but yeah Schar would be a good move if we decide to go for a ‘PL proven’ player. 

Forgive my ignorance, what position does he play?

25 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Pointless looking at it this way though as Brighton have to defend more so naturally Dunk will have higher stats

Also we played half the season with two defensive midfielders providing more cover and shielding the centre backs. The converse of that however, is that It should have given HM more licence to roam and therefore his offensive stats should have been better(although this may have been stunted by team instructions under Puel). Which all just goes to show that stats can mislead as they only give half the story. In another thread people were saying that Mendy's goals and assists stats were rubbish yet he is a DM who, again by choice or instruction we do not know, rarely ventured beyond the halfway line.  Funnily enough he got more than his share of MOM early doors.

We can debate stats and numbers till the cows come home, but what really matters, in my opinion, is given the basic ability is there, the most important thing is whether or not management feel that any given player has the right qualities and attitude to fit into the systems and style of play they want to employ and also the right personality to integrate with the club ethos.

14 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

But doesn’t that argument still stand if Maguire stays ? ..   I’m all for giving younger players a chance like you say but really aren’t we in exactly the same situation if Maguire stays or if he goes and is replaced by (say) Dunk ...  

I'm not sure Rodgers is willing to take the risk, he wants to finish top 6. Benk is awesome, Soy needs more game time but if they were to be directly at fault for two losses that may kill our chances of top 6. Puel was willing to make some pretty wild decisions and really invest in youth because we were never going to get top 6 with Puel. Rodgers clearly rates youth too but will not doubt be more conservative than Puel.

I do hope a quality left winger like Fraser is bought before a new CB though. Ideally we buy both Fraser and Dunk. What a team we would have then.

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Unfortunately that's football. 

People need to look at the bigger picture rather than the ignorance that's about.

Image result for world's tallest baseball pitcher

oohhhh.....PICTURE. My bad. :huh:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm happy to make up something really vague and non committal and pass it off as inside information if you'd like?

My nephews 11 year old boys best mate washes one of the groundstaffs second cousins cars on a saturday morning for a bit of pocket money and he says that its rubbish and that when Top stopped off round there for a quick cuppa the other day he said that we will sell Maguire so that we can bring in Ronaldo to play on the wing.

Does that make me a real life genuine ITK?  I can make up as much of this sort of BS as you like. Ultimately we should trust in Top, BR and Rudkin to do their jobs and whatever they think is right for the short and longer term ambitions of the club both on and off the field.

• Like 1

Brilliant post. Far to sane for this thread.

• Like 2

People aren't really questioning Dunk's quality and what he could bring to the side, it's more to do with people rightly questioning spending £45-50 million on him and also having the highly rated Benkovic and Soyuncu waiting to step in. Just look how Chilwell flourished when backed and given a run of games. I see no reason why one or indeed both, Benkovic and Soyuncu can't do the same alongside our best CB last year in Evans

Bang on with everything you have said. When we picked up Evans for a measly £3m (relegation release clause) people on here were shouting what a waste of money, and why are we buying a relegated utd reject.   The best 3m we have ever spent in my opinion. Between him and Wes there should be more than enough experience to help bring the two young lads on.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I think there is very little chance Maguire will stay, especially after he has declared he wants to move and also Man U (maybe City too) are both very interested. Interestingly, neither have signed a CB or seem close to either, so I would say both are just trying to get the fee down, but I can see this being done soon. 

If Maguire does end up staying though due to Man U/City changing to other targets, then yes that does put us in the same situation we would be in if he went and Dunk came in and started ahead of Soyu/Benko. In that scenario, I would expect Soyuncu to go out on season long loan, similar to what we did with Benkovic. The difference being though, Maguire is currently our player, whereas Dunk isn't and a decision would have to be made to go get him. I wouldn't agree with that decision as £45m+ is too much and in Benko/Soyu I think we have two very capable CB's that could potentially fill the gap left by Maguire, which on last season, isn't that big IMO.

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm happy to make up something really vague and non committal and pass it off as inside information if you'd like?

Doesn't necessarily have to be that vague. Some ITK's state bids have gone in for named players!

There's really no set pattern these days. Trick is, quantity! Post lots of ITK comments and just hope people remember the odd occasion you get one half right and forget the countless times you were wrong! :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Doesn't necessarily have to be that vague. Some ITK's state bids have gone in for named players!

There's really no set pattern these days. Trick is, quantity! Post lots of ITK comments and just hope people remember the odd occasion you get one half right and forget the countless times you were wrong! :thumbup:

That's pretty much how the media up in Scotland work lol!  That and trawling fans forums and rehashing what they find as stories lol!

• Haha 1