Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dennis Praet

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He's more of an all round central midfielder than an "attacking midfielder" really though isn't he. I mean he's like Drinkwater with somewhat better dribbling. 

He works pretty hard and will put a tackle in. I mean he's not Ndidi but he's not Madders either. 

I'm not suggesting his goals and assists couldn't be better but Drinkwater managed 3g/8a in a full season in 15/16 and that's in a much better team than Samp with Vardy to aim at. 

It's not like Samp are free scoring blitzers and Praet is letting the side down. In 15/16 when we were winning the league, Praet was still at Anderlecht and managed 4g/7a in 27 league matches. Its not like he doesn't have goal contributions in him. 

Can't argue with much of that, to be fair I was a huge fan of his when at Anderlecht so I'm arguing with myself anyway. Can't help but think we've got the two best midfield duo in Europe coming in. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Tanya said:

I'm not sure what this lad will bring to the team? Squad depth...I guess? Can anyone enlighten me?

Yep, quality and depth.  BR basically plays with two number 8s, so on that basis, if we had options of (assuming we need 2 players for each position) Tielemans Maddison Silva and Praet, that is a very very strong outlook for those two positions, with Ndidi, and Choudhury the two holding options. Midfield done.

• Like 2

If he signs, while it will improve depth that'll be because he's an automatic in the starting 11.  He's too skilled not to be, and he wouldn't remotely consider signing here unless he was certain that was going to be the case.

Edited by Deeg67

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If he signs, while it will improve depth that'll be because he's an automatic in the starting 11.  He's too skilled not to be, and he wouldn't remotely consider signing here unless he was certain that was going to be the case.

So he is a skilled, technical player who doesn't   score  a lot of goals? My confusion, and perhaps I'm being daft, is our weakness is goal scoring and I'm not sure this lad will provide that. 

I agree I'm not 100 per cent okay with bringing a player in to sit in the bench. Not sure we can afford that right now without European football. 

Just now, Tanya said:

So he is a skilled, technical player who doesn't   score  a lot of goals? My confusion, and perhaps I'm being daft, is our weakness is goal scoring and I'm not sure this lad will provide that. 

I agree I'm not 100 per cent okay with bringing a player in to sit in the bench. Not sure we can afford that right now without European football. 

You can't judge midfielders just on goals or even assists.  He's not a striker.  Praet is the guy who makes the pass before the assist.  He's the one who connects the back four and the attack.  And he's not shy about getting in a tackle and winning the ball, or blocking attempts in his own box.

I guess my confusion is where does this bloke fit into our starting 11? Youri and/or Maddison is our deep lying playmaker and I can't see us dropping then to the bench to accommodate this player

1 minute ago, Tanya said:

I guess my confusion is where does this bloke fit into our starting 11? Youri and/or Maddison is our deep lying playmaker and I can't see us dropping then to the bench to accommodate this player

My guess?  Chilwell-Evans-Maguire-Pereira in back, N'didi-Praet-Tielemans-Maddison in midfield, Vardy and Perez up front.  Against bus-parkers Praet slides into N'didi's deeper role and Barnes slots in up front.

5 minutes ago, Tanya said:

During preseason, Tielemans has looked amazing, running the game pretty much by himself. I imagine the issue Rodgers might see is "what if Youri is having an off-day, or needs a rest?" 

I'd liken him a bit to Fabregas when he was at Arsenal who when he was on song was the heartbeat of the team, but because they relied so much on him, they would fall apart in February every season when the games racked up in quick succession. Fabregas did get a lot of assists, but there were also many games where he'd win man of the match without scoring or assisting a goal. But what he did was keeping the team ticking over. Having someone that can compete / rotate for that role makes perfect sense, especially watching the team in preseason. When Youri is off the pitch, the entire dynamic of the team is different.

The following player "only" got 26 goals and 72 assists in 360+ games for Barcelona. But what he brought to the team was much, much more than those stats show.

Iniesta.thumb.JPG.e3c2adf736aaca852106f08483fbfc4a.JPG

• Like 3

I think Rodgers is going to rotate the squad slightly more this season, and I think our lack of quality in depth was rather apparent as the season went on. Praet really would be a coup in the vein of Tielemans in terms of his quality - he’s not as good as him but their partnership at Anderlecht and Belgium was quality at times. Expect them to work well together with Maddison pushing forward more. I think he’d be a really good signing, and alongside a winger, maybe Jarred Bowen - and a striker we’d be set.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think if he came he'd take N'didi's place when we need more attacking play.

I think you are probably right. If we want to push the top 6 we need to make sure, unlike in previous seasons, we are beating the bottom half of the table. In a BR team playing a defensive midfielder against opposition such as this does not suit the ethos of what we are trying to achieve. That is to say as good as Ndidi is he is still quite limited in his passing and creative abilities, when what we require against weaker opposition is perhaps more of a pass master, liberating Tielemans to move forward and create.

• Like 1

Would definitely give us great strength in depth but I struggle to see where we could accommodate him as a guaranteed starter without stifling some of our existing talent. IF we were in European competition this season then I would go for it as we would definitely need the depth and rotation but as it is we could end up with some disgruntled players who feel they are not getting enough game time.  I think we are trying to build a strong squad but maybe a year too early at this point for a player of this calibre.

When we get into Europe on a regular basis then players like this will be needed and will recognise that they will get their share of minutes

• Like 1